Haven't seen this before, but I have a good idea on what happened .....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So - take a look at the pics - and does anyone have any idea how to fix it ?

I'm thinking replacement is the way to go ..........

(It's not my bike...)

IMG_20150726_143522467_HDR-XL.jpg

IMG_20150726_142737634_HDR-XL.jpg

I'm guessing you could make a functional repair. You would have to remove the skins to do it properly. ABS cement plus an ABS plastic patch on the inside. A bit of bodyfill and paint on the outside. A layer of fibreglass on the inside wouldn't hurt either. Might not be pretty but would work.

Firstly, I don't think you can separate the double-skins without further damage.

If you want it to look really nice, buy a new one. If, however, a functional and decent looking repair is good enough, that can be done too.

Get a piece of ABS sheet from your local plastics supplier. It is cheap and the thin stuff bends and forms easily. Remove all the paint, down to the plastic, on the damaged bottom of that case and cut a patch from your new sheet. Tape the patch onto the bottom, and use a heat gun to allow it to form to the shape.

Use Methyl Ethyl Ketone ($10 per quart, home depot) to bond the patch to the base. Make sure the other painted sides are well taped, you do not want that solvent on them.

When that is done the entire bottom of the case should now have a new skin bonded to both the good and broken parts. You can then finish it any way you like. Truck bed liner on the bottom would work, and it is hidden from view most of the time.

If that doesn't work, or if you make a mess of it, you have spent about $15 ... buy a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about separating the skins but you are probably right for most cases. Seems to me that Fred W has his fall off! The ABS patch on the outside would certainly work as well as on the inside but would be harder to hide. Bed-liner two-tone "paint" job should cover it nicely - great idea!

Firstly, I don't think you can separate the double-skins without further damage.
If you want it to look really nice, buy a new one. If, however, a functional and decent looking repair is good enough, that can be done too.

Get a piece of ABS sheet from your local plastics supplier. It is cheap and the thin stuff bends and forms easily. Remove all the paint, down to the plastic, on the damaged bottom of that case and cut a patch from your new sheet. Tape the patch onto the bottom, and use a heat gun to allow it to form to the shape.

Use Methyl Ethyl Ketone ($10 per quart, home depot) to bond the patch to the base. Make sure the other painted sides are well taped, you do not want that solvent on them.

When that is done the entire bottom of the case should now have a new skin bonded to both the good and broken parts. You can then finish it any way you like. Truck bed liner on the bottom would work, and it is hidden from view most of the time.

If that doesn't work, or if you make a mess of it, you have spent about $15 ... buy a new one.
MEK, make sure to use in a well ventilated area. Nasty stuff.

Dave

Cracks in the outer lids can be welded together with a soldering iron and some ABS filler. Filing, sanding, bondo, sanding and primer is the plan prior to repainting. But then again, there's this one. I would get a replacement and repaint it.

Yep, the outer painted lid is just glued to the inner liner, and then riveted to the hinge at the bottom. Since the thing is already in fragments I don't see the big risk of ripping it off. You may be able to find a replacement painted lid, or (if time is of little value to you) plastic weld the old one back together.

I'd just look for another bag and swap the locks.