Cruise control dropping out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Hi to all

I think this may be a common issue but is anyone else having there cruise control drop out. Mine doesn't do it all the time but appears to do it particularly in windy conditions. Not the end of the world but just want to know if its across the board.

Regards

Gazza

Drop out as in just quits holding its speed or that the cruise power indicator light goes out and you have to turn it back on before you reactivate?

And when you say wind is it that it's in a strong headwind as it's adding a significant load on the FJR, a tail wind that's speeding up the FJR to above the cruise limit level (which I doubt, but put in), or that it's blowing the bike sideways?

I've never had it ever happen.

Yeah just quits holding its speed and the "set" light goes out and only in a head wind. I normally just have to get up to required speed again and reset.

Regards

Gazza

Sticking rear brake pedal ?

There are 2 electrical circuits on the rear pedal, front lever and clutch, I think lol.

You can also run a diagnostic on the cruise.

I've ridden in some seriously strong winds out here in the desert, mostly crosswinds, but some headwinds too. Never had the cruise drop on my 2013 for that. Usually mine drops if I twist the throttle too much for a 2-car pass. If I get more than 10mph over the pitiful 82mph limit for more than a couple seconds, it'll shut off and the indicator will blink at me. I think it's trying to shame me into staying below 30mph over the speed limit, but I can't be sure. I recall something in the manual about it cutting out automatically if it decides it can't keep up with conditions (extended uphill climb, long descent, etc). A strong enough headwind that actually slows you down noticeably, even just 1 or 2 mph, would fall under that category.

Maybe as daft as you unknowingly touching a brake or clutch lever as you duck or otherwise react to a wind gust.

i had intermittent issues that got worse and worse.

it wasn't a sticking rear brake pedal, but a sticking rear brake switch.

The cruise limit switch seems to activate first and then then brake light. they release in the opposite (brake light first then the cruise).

i had zero issues with the brake light operation, just the cruise.

i simply cleaned the grime away from the switch and the spring, all has been good since.

as mentioned, use diagnostic mode to check the cruise control interlock operation. while doing this i noticed that the switch was not retracting the last mm or so.

gazza posted: Yeah just quits holding its speed and the "set" light goes out and only in a head wind.
Headwinds may cause you to inadvertently twist the throttle past closed.

If you twist the throttle hard towards closed -- "past closed" it says in the Manual -- it will disengage the cruise and extinguish the light. This happened to me on a tough day in very thick fog on a mountain ridge.

The cruise was engaged at 35 mph, allowing me to focus on searching through the fog for the edge of the road, the centerline, traffic, and road debris. When big gusts came over the ridgeline, my deathgrip on the throttle rocked it backwards a couple of times. First time it disengaged the cruise control, I was startled and began worrying about engine-killing electronics with us so far from home. Then I noticed how the wind buffeting affected my grip and throttle position. Loosened up my right hand a wee bit and it didn't happen again.

Has not happened in 7,500 miles since.

Last edited by a moderator:
gazza posted: Yeah just quits holding its speed and the "set" light goes out and only in a head wind.
Headwinds may cause you to inadvertently twist the throttle past closed.

If you twist the throttle hard towards closed -- "past closed" it says in the Manual -- it will disengage the cruise and extinguish the light. This happened to me on a tough day in very thick fog on a mountain ridge.

The cruise was engaged at 35 mph, allowing me to focus on searching through the fog for the edge of the road, the centerline, traffic, and road debris. When big gusts came over the ridgeline, my deathgrip on the throttle rocked it backwards a couple of times. First time it disengaged the cruise control, I was startled and began worrying about engine-killing electronics with us so far from home. Then I noticed how the wind buffeting affected my grip and throttle position. Loosened up my right hand a wee bit and it didn't happen again.

Has not happened in 7,500 miles since.
This is what I was thinking too. I have accidentally lightly "bumped" the throttle hand had the the cruise disengaged when riding over a bumpy road while in a sweeping curve or when I have shifted my position on the seat. Often when doing either of these, I have a strong grip on the throttle and it is easy to accidentally twist forward. I can see this being similar situation in a strong headwind.

Does this happen all the time in headwinds or only some times? If more often than not, try not holding the throttle grip tightly next time to see if the cruise holds.