front fork cartridge replacement for 2014-2015 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
Has anyone dropped an AK-20 or the 25mm GP suspension cartridge in either a 2014 or 2015 ES? I read the "project FJR" article in which they have to fiddle with this upgrade due to the dummy fork. What about the ES? The diagrams only show the internals for one fork. What about the other. Is it the same? Can it be done? I am just curious, that all. I have to say that after fitting the racetech gold valves on my gen 1 I was so impressed that (even though I do not have a gen 3...yet) I would even consider it on a possible ES (I have been salivating for one for a while now). I have read all the good things about the new suspension but... Can anyone kill my curiosity?

Cheers

Luis

I don't think I would spend the extra coin on an ES only to

upgrade the suspension later. ( And lose all the features

of the ES in the process. )

I think you'd be ahead of the game if you got the standard

version and upgraded to AK20s and a Penske shock both

economically and performance wise.

This is exactly why I don't want an ES. I could see the $$ flying out of the pocket when it's time to refurb the suspension... I could be wrong, but I don't see it being cheaper than aftermarket in the long run.

You will have to address your questions to Traxxion or GP or RaceTech...... to see if they have anything available specifically for the ES that won't disable the ES features....... but, if I was already thinking upgrade, I'd steer you towards an A model instead. I don't recall any posts so far where anyone has had ES forks apart to see what's really inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think time will be the final word on this thought process....

Any of those big name suspension co.'s will have to get their hands on this stuff and see what possible magic they could do....

Until then - as stated, why bother with ES if your plans are to replace factory parts with high end suspension that has no control by the onboard computer....

Don't get me wrong - I am hoping that the future holds aftermarket parts and upgrades for the Electronic Suspension - because It can only get better IMO....

Can a re valving and re springing be done and yet maintain full ES function? I also know the 2013 has only one damping function per fork

USD forks are just plain sexy so several months ago I got the [bright] idea of putting ES inverted forks on my previous '09. The plan was to buy all the parts and new forks (less internals) and install Traxxion or Penske cartridges in each leg. Of course, there's much more to this swap than just fork legs, but bear with me.

After some internet research and contacting Traxxion, it appears this swap is doable albeit very expensive approaching $2700 - $2800 all in. I shelved the idea, purchased a '15A and transferred my GP forks / Penske combination over from the '09. Couldn't be happier at the moment.

Give it some time and if the demand is there, I'm betting someone will come up with a revalve kit or drop in replacement while keeping the ES functionality.

Just my $.02.

--G

I've been pondering putting inverted FJR forks on my '03.

I do know (97%) that all will bolt on. Just trying to find the front end?

Any out there?