Busted my saddle bag latch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevepep

Reaction score
I came out of the YMCA today to discover that my right saddle bag would not open. Maybe the heat, maybe my jacket inside causing it to bind. I foolishly applied too much pressure and broke the latch. The dealer tells me he will give me a great deal on a replacement bag (no latch parts available) at $520. So I'm looking at either finding a used bag or devising some sort of repair. Anyone have any ideas? A line on a bag from a wreck with a trashed cover but working mechanism?

Thanks

What broke? Something between the latch and the tab that ascends into the bike frame, or part of the latch itself?

When you lift the latch, the external part that you lift pulls on the internal latch which engages the external latch via a pair of plastic posts that are about 1/4 inch in diameter. Those posts broke off. This is not the latch that holds the bags to the bike, but rather the latch that locks the bag shut.

I think I'll post a WTB ad in the classified section to see if anyone has a right side bag onto which I could transplant my cover.

You can buy only the bottom part for $266
smile.png

https://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2013/FJR1300A+-+FJR13ADCG/SADDLEBAGS/parts.html

Hint: press the lid in with your knee to take the pressure off the latches. Makes both doing up and undoing easier, with less stress on everything.

You know, stable doors and bolting horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the helpful info. A member in Chicago has a used case that may work for me. I appreciate the tip on opening and closing. I think that putting my jacket in the case was my undoing. It expanded and put pressure on the latch. Then I wasn't thinking straight when, behind schedule, I tried to open the case.

Steve

Is this for a Gen II? I have a right side bag for sale that's in great shape. Check out the classifieds for my ad.

mcatrophy posted: Hint: press the lid in with your knee to take the pressure off the latches. Makes both doing up and undoing easier, with less stress on everything.
Well, I don't know "stable doors and bolting horses". Can you shed some English light on this obscure-in-the-US phrase?

And I also use my knee (and hands on both sides) to close the bags. I'm very paranoid about bursting a hinge, especially when I have time pressures: too much shit in the case, tags and straps hanging out of the crack, etc, etc, etc.

mcatrophy posted: Hint: press the lid in with your knee to take the pressure off the latches. Makes both doing up and undoing easier, with less stress on everything.

Well, I don't know "stable doors and bolting horses". Can you shed some English light on this obscure-in-the-US phrase?...
Certainly a very well known idiom in the UK.

From "The Free Dictionary":

Closing/shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.Trying to stop something bad happening when it has already happened and the situation cannot be changed. Improving security after a major theft would seem to be a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.
[edit]

In American English, probably substitute "barn" for "stable", from usingenglish.com:

Idiom Definitions for 'Close the stable door after the horse has bolted'If people try to fix something after the problem has occurred, they are trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted. 'Close the barn door after the horse has bolted' is alternative, often used in American English.
[/edit]