Got her home

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
Just got home with my 14 a. Traded in my road King for it. 4500 miles. Can post a pic but its the awesome rrd of course. Love the color!

Congrats on getting the red one...
punk.gif

Congrats I'm sure you will enjoy,

I'll keep my 07 but would like another Harley Panhead. This time a 1951 instead of the 1965 I rode for twenty years. I would settle for a wee or v strom thou and it would get a lot more use!

I want a Road King.
Not as much as I wanted (and still want) my '15 FJR ES of course, but I would like to have one.

Congratulations on the new bike. I hope it serves you well.
I'm in same boat only I'd like an Ultra Limited. Have this diversion towards big bikes. Never owned a HD but just have that bug to give it a try. In fact I've never even rode a v-twin tourer. Might hate the rumbling and heat. But have ridden the '15 ES and it surely is a sweet bike. Thoroughly confused but saving up money for an upgrade or 2nd bike.

My question to you all would be whats it like owning an HD? Pro's and Con's I suppose?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have loved the 3 I owned. I wanted an ultra classic to but couldn't afford one at the moment. Mine have been 100% reliable with no issues, the rumbling is what makes it cool and I think my fjr puts off more heat than my road King did

I have loved the 3 I owned. I wanted an ultra classic to but couldn't afford one at the moment. Mine have been 100% reliable with no issues, the rumbling is what makes it cool and I think my fjr puts off more heat than my road King did
That rumbling and noise (if you changed to a louder slip-on) never bothered you? I've worked with some riders who complained that they had to switch back pipes because they were so loud. One of the most common complaints I've seen about Ultra's is people say the heat can get bad from that back cylinder in stop and go traffic. And on the mechanical side of things I understand its an air cooled engine (rushmores not withstanding) so they are a different animal. All part of the experience that comes with an HD I am guessing.

Sorry didn't mean to derail this thread
smile.png

Happytrails63 posted: I'm in same boat only I'd like an Ultra Limited. Have this diversion towards big bikes. Never owned a HD but just have that bug to give it a try. In fact I've never even rode a v-twin tourer. Might hate the rumbling and heat. But have ridden the '15 ES and it surely is a sweet bike. Thoroughly confused but saving up money for an upgrade or 2nd bike.
My question to you all would be whats it like owning an HD? Pro's and Con's I suppose?
Can't give you pros and cons because I've never owned a Harley. Never will, but that's because I have character traits that won't ever allow me to own a Harley.

On the other hand, I owned a mid-size V-twin cruiser (Yamaha Vstar 950) for a few years. It's hard to beat them on the open highway in terms of pure comfort: riding position, low center of gravity, stability, Yamaha reliability, and just plain old open-air joy.

Get them off the open highway and they're not so much fun: traffic, tight turns in the city, twisty roads in the mountains, and God Almighty they shake when you're stopped at intersections. The Vstar wasn't too bad, but both the Victorys and Harleys I test rode were like paint shakers. I thought shit might get flung off the bike.

The FJR is a handful in parking lots and other slow-speed manuvering, but above 10 mph in any environment, she's an Olympic track star.

Congrats!

I looked all over Georgia last week, and you found a gem with only 4500mi....Fantastic!

Hope they gave you a good deal on it; I found they were keeping them well priced with the 15 model. Re-read, you got the A model. Yep a good deal indeed.

Happytrails63 posted: I'm in same boat only I'd like an Ultra Limited. Have this diversion towards big bikes. Never owned a HD but just have that bug to give it a try. In fact I've never even rode a v-twin tourer. Might hate the rumbling and heat. But have ridden the '15 ES and it surely is a sweet bike. Thoroughly confused but saving up money for an upgrade or 2nd bike.
Can't give you pros and cons because I've never owned a Harley. Never will, but that's because I have character traits that won't ever allow me to own a Harley.

On the other hand, I owned a mid-size V-twin cruiser (Yamaha Vstar 950) for a few years. It's hard to beat them on the open highway in terms of pure comfort: riding position, low center of gravity, stability, Yamaha reliability, and just plain old open-air joy.

Get them off the open highway and they're not so much fun: traffic, tight turns in the city, twisty roads in the mountains, and God Almighty they shake when you're stopped at intersections. The Vstar wasn't too bad, but both the Victorys and Harleys I test rode were like paint shakers. I thought shit might get flung off the bike.

The FJR is a handful in parking lots and other slow-speed manuvering, but above 10 mph in any environment, she's an Olympic track star.
One big Con for me would be I'm wearing a helmet always (had an accident when I was younger) but I almost never see HD riders wearing one. And if they do its one of those half helmets. Seems like some kind of unwritten rule for HD owners.

And good comment about the test rides on the Victory's and HD's. This year I went to the Yamaha demo ride events (better off I think) and they just happen to be on the same day and the local HD demo events. The Victory and Indian rides got rained out unfortunately. And while I'm hanging out waiting for the rain to stop yes there is a lot of attitude that comes with HD folks.

Congrats I'm sure you will enjoy,I'll keep my 07 but would like another Harley Panhead. This time a 1951 instead of the 1965 I rode for twenty years. I would settle for a wee or v strom thou and it would get a lot more use!
His wants exceed his ability to enjoy his needs.
smile.png

Enjoy your need ride. Need a new seat? Get a Russell Day Long. Laam is good but the threads on this forum say the customer service is not up to par.

Last edited by a moderator:
One big Con for me would be I'm wearing a helmet always (had an accident when I was younger) but I almost never see HD riders wearing one. And if they do its one of those half helmets. Seems like some kind of unwritten rule for HD owners...
I'm sorry if you feel that others should dictate to you what you should protect your head with, what you should protect your body with...

I never ever thought of asking someone else's permission.

Just yesterday, btw, I saw an HD rider with a full face helmet. Unusual for HD riders, but good for him for being a rebel(with a cause).

I want a Road King.
Not as much as I wanted (and still want) my '15 FJR ES of course, but I would like to have one.

Congratulations on the new bike. I hope it serves you well.
I'm in same boat only I'd like an Ultra Limited. Have this diversion towards big bikes. Never owned a HD but just have that bug to give it a try. In fact I've never even rode a v-twin tourer. Might hate the rumbling and heat. But have ridden the '15 ES and it surely is a sweet bike. Thoroughly confused but saving up money for an upgrade or 2nd bike.

I had a Road King a few years ago. I enjoyed the look and the sound, and appreciated the quality paint, fit and finish, and the comfort of that big plush seat while cruising along. I even found it handled reasonably well in Vancouver city traffic. The vibration from that big v-twin didn't bother me, although I had to install fatter grips to keep my fingers from going numb.

I didn't like the serious lack of power on the highway, nor the rather vague handling at highway speeds. The brakes sucked, and riding on dirt or gravel was a sphincter tightening experience. Too much chrome. Way, way too much chrome. The gear shift was always clunky.