Opinion about FJR purchase?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinstagl

Reaction score
I guess my question is whether or not I am getting a decent deal.

It is a 2005 w/o ABS and is stock(except for a tail case, and power outlets) with 41k on the clock. It is very clean but I am worried about a lack of maintenance that has been done. Other than oil changes and tires, the guy selling it hasn't done anything to it since 2008. No brake pads, no valve check/adjustment, no suspension replacement/rebuild... nothing. I didn't notice any ticking or other odd noises coming from the engine(which started right up and ran very smoothly), and the brakes worked very well. Honestly I wasn't really thinking about the suspension while riding it, so I don't know if I would be able to detect any issues there.

I guess my question is this, how much should I worry about possible upcoming maintenance, and how much should I try to factor that into pushing down his asking price? He is asking $5,499, which seems a bit high to me, although I would like to reiterate that the bike is very clean(always garaged until he parked it outside to sell it). I am comfortable doing any maintenance or repairs required, so buying parts would be the only real requirement for repairs.

It looks like comparable bikes go for like $4-4.5k on ebay. Would you guys likely try to get this bike, or would you move along to find a better deal? Input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I would not be particularly worried specifically about the lack of a valve check. Easily accomplished but may be a symptom of other neglect. Coolant, hydraulic fluid, lubrication etc. Not necessarily a problem; more than likely no damage done. Brake pads only need to be replaced when they are worn out so probably not an issue either. OEM suspension is probably still OK but the rear shock might be getting tired. Fork oil change is definitely due. Was it stored indoors and how is the paint condition?

For an unfarkled 2005 with 41K, I think the price is a bit high by around $1000 or so. If, however, it is a local bike and the one you gotta have, its not awful but I think you could do better.

I think he's got it priced high and a purchase price closer to $4k seems like a better price to me. The lack of maintenance wouldn't bother me as long as oil changes were done as well as an occasional rear drive fluid change.

In February I bought a clean '05 with 9,600 miles, Beowulf mufflers (which I later sold for $300) and Yamaha top case (which went with my old one in re-sale). I paid $5,400. Also, I sold my previous well-maintained '05 in March with 56K on the clock for $4,500 with the top case and a few other farkles like heated grips. If this is representative of the market, your seller is about $1,000 high.

Agree with the others, too high and will add that I would spend a little more for a newer/lower mileage FJR if you can swing it or find a better deal for the $5500 you were willing to spend had we all said it was a great deal. 41K is really nothing on the ODO in the scheme of things but there are WAY better deals out there right now on used FJRs with all things considered IMO.

Guy didn't do the required maintenance? No ABS? Priced too high.
I'd walk away. There are plenty others out there.
+100. These bikes aren't that hard to find. I'd rather own one with double the mileage as long as maintenance looked to be taken care of.

For that asking price you should be looking at a 2006 and up FJR.

Two months ago, I traded in my clean, well maintained and documented 62K miles 2005 non-abs FJR to Friendly Yamaha and 2 weeks later, they sold it for about $5,000.00. This is along the gulf coast where sport touring bikes are not exactly in high demand.

If you were to buy this bike and check the valves, I would not be surprised to learn that none are out of spec. (I did this twice at 26K and 54K respectively and both times, all valves were in spec)

OTOH - you can expect to do the following if you buy that bike:

Clutch and Brake fluid flush

Fork oil replacement (possible seal replacement if they are weeping or leaking)

grease all pivot points including levers, pedals, shift linkage, etc

engine coolant system flush

pull the wheels and inspect brakes. grease the caliper pins. Pads may not be necessary - I replaced my fronts at around 50K

Now - including the valve check, if you can do this kind of work yourself, you can likely accomplish ALL of this for about $150.00 in materials. If you have to pay someone else to do all of this, you can multiply that by 10 and still may not have enough.

Having written all of that, since I know how to maintain the bike, and if I could get the seller to come down by about $1,000.00, I'd consider buying it. $40K without maintenance is not ideal, but for this bike, you haven't gotten to the point of no return IMO. The FJR is just a dead nuts reliable machine that can take a great deal of abuse.

My $0.02 worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, without the ABS and maintenance, too high; I'd walk. There are plenty of other's out there to choose from.

I'll vouch for Bob's (Intech) '07...very clean, custom suspension, and well-maintained. :D

Yea, without the ABS and maintenance, too high; I'd walk. There are plenty of other's out there to choose from.
I'll vouch for Bob's (Intech) '07...very clean, custom suspension, and well-maintained.
biggrin.png
Yes, very shiny. I bet he licks his tires to keep them nice and clean.

I'll vouch for Bob's (Intech) '07...very clean, custom suspension, and well-maintained.
biggrin.png
Coming from someone else who now has an '07 that he will need to sell, that means a lot!
ok.gif

biggrin.png
Yes, very shiny. I bet he licks his tires to keep them nice and clean.
What the hell is that supposed to mean and how is it helpful? Never mind. forgot to consider the source!
fool.gif

Offer still stands for the OP.

Consider an '08 and newer to get the incremental improvements prior to GEN III's. Recent low mile examples can be had for just slightly over $7k.

Happy hunting!

--G

Wow, thanks for all the input everybody! I found another FJR for sale near me with way less miles (16k) and the guy only wants $4.5k OBO. it is an 03, but does come with heated grips and a taller windshield. I am going to go look at it this evening. Also that bike for sale by MacDaddy looks like a steal! I am seriously considering the trip to DFW area to snatch it up. I guess depending on how the 03 looks today I may be giving MacDaddy a call tonight! Sorry Intech I would have a difficult time justifying buying your '07 with the plethora of other options available.

Once again I want to say THANK YOU EVERYBODY! I guess after test riding that first FJR I kind of got tunnel vision, and I am really glad I asked for advice.

If you want the one in DFW, I have two garages for the month of August.
biggrin.png

I also work near the DFW airport.

Just sayin...

Last edited by a moderator:
Soon as I get the stuff moved from one garage to the other...

But you must direct all of the sound from your band directly toward the neighbor to the left. She's a rude noisy B.