Oil drain pan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll want to consider the size of the top opening depending on what you want to use it for. FJR only, no biggie. But if you need to use it for other vehicles it becomes a consideration, especially on something that sits high off the ground with one of those side mount drain holes. Unless you are very experienced, determining where the oil will shoot initially is a gamble, and the bigger the opening the better, hence why I just use one of the big round open top ones. Also, the fact that as volume of oil in the vehicle lowers the shooting distance will decrease, so having some wiggle room there as you move the pan across the floor is helpful.

I used to use and liked the one I had similar to Ross's above. Right up until it cracked and let the oil out all over the place while I wasn't around. I went back to storing the oil in my empty one gallon oil jugs.

Any one used a drain pan that doesnt completely suck?
I do have to admit though, this is a very good question...ranks up there with "What is the meaning of life" and "How do you understand women."
biggrin.png

Doesn't help for the FJR, but the only good drain pan I've used is by joining the local club and getting access to the DIY days at the local dealership.

2012-07-21090111.jpg

THAT drain pan rocks.
biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a big fan of the open-top ones. I use one just like this one:https://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoGear-15-Qt-Oil-Drain-Pan/20440558

Just have to remind myself: REMOVE THE PLUG SCREW ON PAN BEFORE DRAINING OIL. Unfortunately, the pour spout on these suck for pouring the oil back into the jugs, but not too bad with a funnel.
I have used this one for years. I have a couple wide mouth 2.5 gallon jugs, no need for a funnel
+1

I got one of these at Pep Boys, I think, maybe Autozone. Hell, maybe wally world. Large rectangular, the ENTIRE top surface is the catch bowl. Holds 2 gallons, I think. Fits under anything.

0000000036155.jpg

I got one of these at Pep Boys, I think, maybe Autozone. Hell, maybe wally world. Large rectangular, the ENTIRE top surface is the catch bowl. Holds 2 gallons, I think. Fits under anything.
0000000036155.jpg

That's mine as well; works very good (had it for years).

Change oil???
WHY?????
Just because I guess..

I normally I just find a seldom traveled gravel road. Toss down something to lay on, then pull the plug.

Move ahead a few feet when it's done, replace plug, fill an' go.

No fuss no muss.

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bustanut joker" data-cid="1249247" data-time="1438470438"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RadioHowie" data-cid="1249102" data-time="1438398343"><p>Change oil???<br />

<br />

WHY?????</p></blockquote>

Just because I guess..<br />

<br />

I normally I just find a seldom traveled gravel road. Toss down something to lay on, then pull the plug.<br />

Move ahead a few feet when it's done, replace plug, fill an' go.<br />

<br />

No fuss no muss.</p></blockquote>

Lol. That's the cleanest way to do it I suppose