Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Squirrel

Reaction score
Just finished upgrading from Windows 7 to 10. So far so good. Using Edge (the new browser) to post this.

Anyone else make the jump yet?

Been thinking about it. Gotta make sure the software I use to remote into my virtual desktop at work so I can work from home is compatible first though. No way I'm giving up working from home and driving 40 miles into the office just for Win10.

When I saw than win 10 claims to incorporate the best of win 7 and win 8, and i still saw the blasted tiles, i knew right then that I'd be hanging onto my win 7 laptop as long as possible. I don't want tiles and touchscreen on my desktop/laptop.

Semi-deleted post, because you can't fully delete it once those electrons flow down the wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Early adaption of anything created by by Micro$oft often leads to regret and pain. I will wait a few months.
You don't need to wait. After having the unique pleasure of being an early Vista user I threw the piece of crap in the garbage and bought my MacBook Pro. I will NEVER go back to anything using Windows.

Staying with Win 7 until forced to change. Have it on my personal laptop as well as the desktop at my work.

If you have 8 on a machine, you might want to get rid of that garbage and upgrade. Super easy, click 2 or 3 times and an hour later it's done. Did that on day one with mine and so far happy with 10, seems to be just an updated version of 7. The only tiles appear to be in the start menu and you can delete those if it you want, make them live or not. Thumbs up so far.

You don't need to wait. After having the unique pleasure of being an early Vista user I threw the piece of crap in the garbage and bought my MacBook Pro. I will NEVER go back to anything using Windows.
I hear ya on Vista, though after SP1 it wasn't bad. Used it for a while myself. I did have my work issue me a Mac at my last job. Was told I could swap for a Win 7 laptop later. I gave it the old college try, but man did I hate that Mac. I tried and tried to get used to the new keyboard shortcuts but couldn't. Didn't help that I had to remote into a Windows jump server to then remote either into a Linux or Windows server that I'd be working on. I did get used to and now miss the magicpad gestures. I traded that thing in very happily for a Windows 8.1 laptop. Between using 8.1 at a previous job and at that job I became very proficient on it and it's not so bad. I almost never used the tiles though.

Just got off the phone with my work's helpdesk for another problem. Got the official word, Windows 10 is not yet supported but is still in testing. Things do move slowly where I work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't have a problem with Windows 8.1. I don't use the "tiles". I use the desktop view and have all the programs I use frequently on that desktop. I have Win 7 on most of the computers at work although I still have a couple using XP. The work computers won't change because of instrumentation software compatibility concerns but I will probably go to Windows 10 on the home computer in a month or so - after the early adopter guinea pigs get the bugs ironed out.

Still happily running XP Pro and Windows Vista. They don't crash, rarely hang, and my next upgrade will likely be Windows 7. I've been playing with Windows since version 2, upgraded to 3.11. Those were the bad old days. Still remember a couple of DOS commands. Yea, I'll upgrade to Windows 10 within 24 to 36 months, no problem.

I dunno what the fuss is about. I used EDLIN and some C to create a program and file manager and it works spiffy. Dunno why it takes a 4 gig software cluster bundle to do the same thing. I was forced, kicking and screaming into the future and I'm running XP SP3 but now there is software that I want to run which won't run on XP so I'm running a second operating system -- 8.1. I don't like 8.1 but I don't hate it either, I have a free upgrade to 10 if I choose. At this time I don't choose and will wait a bit to see how 10 shakes out. In a pinch I still shell out to C:\ :)

Computer Rule #1: Never upgrade your OS. Haha

Just got word today that none of our software has passed a

compatibility check with Win 10.

Likely won't be before the end of year so it's status quo for now.

I'll stick with W7 and won't upgrade until I see 10 for a test drive first. Now that 8.1 POS should be upgraded to 10.... use it at work in Desktop view, hate those tiles and apps.......... that's going to 10 someday soon.