mixing gear oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wftreg

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I changed gear oil and after some research decided to go with AMS synthetic severe gear 75-90. I had been using the Yamaha synthetic gear oil and I have a little of the Yamaha oil left, but not enough to fill the reservoir. Is it OK to empty the remaining Yamaha gear oil into the AMS oil container for my next gear oil change since they are both synthetic and similar in weight? I hate to waste the expensive Yamaha oil.

absolutely, i also changed and mixed gear oil several times....always 75-90 and synthetic....its like mixing vodka...nobody will know or mind the difference as long as the buzz is the same !!!

blessings,

bobby

I generally do that too. I buy 4 quarts and dump what ever i got to make up the .2 so I dont buy another $10 qt of oil

I agree that it may make no difference, but I'm so anal retentive that I can't do it, especially when you're talking about ten or twenty bucks to maintain a 10K plus or minus bike. In my mind, if I can't afford the fluids I shouldn't oughta have bought the bike. No one really "needs" a motorcycle anyway. They're luxury items, toys. Having said that, I have earned my toys the hard way, and I'm not taking any chances with them. But that's just me.

I appreciate the sentiment and reasoning. I ride on good tires but I will take a chance and mix the four ounces of Yamaha gear oil into the 24 ounces of AMS gear oil and will push the envelope and live on the edge!

Sleep well my friend, neither you nor I know who is packing the Yamaha gear oil. It may just be AMS, Mobile, who knows. One thing for sure is Yamaha does not refine or produce any lubs. Probably not a good idea to mix syn with non-syn!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Art, I never thought about who makes Yamaha Gear oil....good points. My initial thought was that it would be fine to mix like oils, but I appreciate the confirmation from you and others. Now I have to review the gear oil I use in the lower unit of my Sea Ray boat. I would like to simplify my storage of oils and lubricants.

Bill