Thoughts on selling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggot

Reaction score
Hey folks,

It saddens me to post this, but I may have to sell my FJR. I just returned from a 3 day trek with my 13yr old daughter around Lake Huron, covering almost 2k kms. The knees and buzz to the right hand upon completion wasn't fun.

I'm a fit guy that weight trains 5 days a week, so I'm not sure I can adapt myself to overcome.

The stock seat doesn't bother me, and I have pegs on the engine/fairing guards. I have an omi-cruise lock on the throttle.

She's an 07 with 33K, this is my 2nd summer with her and most of my rides are over nighters with the wife or one of the kids. I can easily cover 1k kms on the first day, but consecutive days become painful. Most of my treks with the kids are 3-500kms out, camp, and return. So i'm rarely on the bike long enough. But this 3 day'er was brutal at the end.

I'm looking at her in the garage as I type this, and after recently following the iron butt, noticing that the bike is a legend in distance riding, but I'm not.

I've had many bikes, last were a couple Stroms, never get attached as it's just a machine that's easily replaced. This one's a little emotional though as I first saw one in 2002 in Greece and knew i'd have one. Logged on here in 2005, so I was a lurker for 8ish yrs.

She's not going yet and i'll give a few more similar runs before deciding for sure. If we're not a couple, a divorce will follow.

Anyone gone thru similar...

Thoughts. Replacement bike, Tenere maybe.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought mine without ever riding a FJR, much less any sport tourer. After a 25 year hiatus from motorcycles, and last riding a '56 hardtail Panhead, I knew it would be an adjustment. It didn't take long for me to have second thoughts about my decision. Riding it to work, about 20 minute ride, I would get tingling in my fingers halfway to work. Weekend rides would have me in pain in not only my wrists and fingers, but my ass too, after 30 miles! I really thought I had made a mistake.

Being hard-headed, and not wanting to tell my wife I fu**ed up, I continued to ride it every weekend and to work. I soon found that I could go a little further each time. After a while, I was doing 150, 200, 250 miles. I then took a trip to the mountains ( 700 miles one way) and did it in two days. After a week of riding up there, with no noticeable pain, I rode it straight back home. My ass felt some discomfort, but no pain in my wrist and fingers.

Now, I wouldn't hesitate to ride it anywhere! I friggin' love this bike now, and would be hard pressed to let it go. I hope you find a solution to this, but if not, that you find one that works for YOU.

All the best,

Rob

I started back at riding 10 years ago (after a 20 year hiatus. Actually not so much of a hiatus as I got tired of crashing and figured I'd take a break).

I now possess FJR's #3 and #4. I love this freaking bike. I've probably owned 20 bikes in the past 10 years, and I have yet to ride anything I like better. Grip covers take care of the wrists and fingers, they're's no appreciable buzz to this bike. Ya gotta love the quiet throm of a 4 cylinder. My 2004 Kawasaki Concours was more comfortable ergonomically (I don't know why), but the fjr is a superior ride in every way. And eventually I'll find the perfect windshield/seat/peg combination and I'll never stop riding.

Not everyone is Tony. I can't ride more than 350-400 miles a day. My longest day was 435 miles (670km). I'll never be an iron-butt, I can live with that. If you desire it, you can too.

Jus sayin...Baz

Do you have bar risers? Have you done anything to change the ergonomics to make it fit you better? Even getting the right windshield helps with riding comfort. There are lots of things you can do to make it fit you better.

Of course, if you do not like the FJR, that Super Tenere is a wonderful ride as well.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear the bike pains you. I just came back from a 8000kms trip. Half of that was two up in extreme heat.(8 1/2 days total) As you say following the recent IBR there was a lot of FJRs so yes the bike can do it. But if you don't fit the bike, its time to part ways!

I agree with bar risers and fucking RELAX.....this bike can be finessed...and everyone will agree....well except those masochist like Wardog and Iggy, that one adapts to this machine ....back off on saddle time and extend just until pain comes on...most of us went through that " oh shit, what did i do? "then ride again in 2 days...the body will adapt..please don't give up....you can read my story and why i'm being forced to stop riding...everyone with open heart should know a small get off will in fact kill yo ass if you so much as brush anything against your chest...i just went all through this a UW with 3 cardiologist, 2 thoracic surgeons, and lots of concerned nurses....the sternum just never heals which is why they wire you up with permanent titanium bailing wire...as i have been 3 times already...now i knew the risks and chose to ride anyway...but i have a little luck only side...buddha been berry berry good to me....just thought ya ought to know zipper club elitist !!! Mainly its about Zen in the saddle...the body WILL follow....just don't bite off such big hunks....man ya gotta stay out there for me !!! who'll watch the sheep ? be patient and try some simple changes in body attitude...i came from dirt bikes and ride lots of wheelies standing up...i've never been arrested but my bike has been impounded 7 times...like ziggy thought it up...he a good boy....

Blessings,

Bobby

ps...as an engineer i ALWAYS get attached to machines i helped develop...like the video chip on your phone...and i LOVE Ziggy and will only sell him to a deserving rider, newbs and goobs needn't apply....

Echoing the bar risers and also, have you done the throttle spring unwind? I have an '07 myself and shied away from doing it for almost 2 1/2 years until I had the chance to ride an '06 that had it done. I tore into mine the very next weekend. The damn throttle return on the early Gen 2 bikes is a wrist killer on a long day.

Maybe I should ride over to Barrie and let you ride my bike and see if you like the mods I have done and how it compares to yours.

Chuck, I flew to Florida and rode that 06 back to Ohio....the spring unwind was the 1st mod I did to it. My right hand was killing me! Grip puppies are the shizz too, they keep your hands more relaxed since the grips are fatter. Knees and butt hurt? Try an Airhawk, it'll cushion your rear and raise you up a bit, decreasing the angle of your knee bend.

Chuck, I flew to Florida and rode that 06 back to Ohio....the spring unwind was the 1st mod I did to it. My right hand was killing me! Grip puppies are the shizz too, they keep your hands more relaxed since the grips are fatter. Knees and butt hurt? Try an Airhawk, it'll cushion your rear and raise you up a bit, decreasing the angle of your knee bend.
Better yet, get a Russel Day Long seat.

I have bar risers on it. Bought the bike in feb 2014 and installed them before my first ride. Also have grip puppies over the stock grips.

I have a Cee Bailey's larger screen. No issues with buffetting if I move it up a couple inches.

I'm not familiar with the throttle spring mod, but will look into it. Will look into a TBS as well, maybe she's not running as smooth as she can.

Will have a few more weekend rides before the summer is over. I won't bite off as many miles without stopping.

Maybe I should ride over to Barrie and let you ride my bike and see if you like the mods I have done and how it compares to yours.
I can meet you.. i'll know by sitting on it, if you have something I like.

No way of being sure though. Recently did a canonball 500 where I went 900kms thru Algonquin Park and back and had to stop at 12 locations. Got home but could have easily kept going.

I can do a 1000km day, then 6-7, then 4-5. The first day is a breeze, it's the consecutive days that's getting me.

I can meet you.. i'll know by sitting on it, if you have something I like.

No way of being sure though. Recently did a canonball 500 where I went 900kms thru Algonquin Park and back and had to stop at 12 locations. Got home but could have easily kept going.

I can do a 1000km day, then 6-7, then 4-5. The first day is a breeze, it's the consecutive days that's getting me.
If the first day is a breeze, what is hurting you on the subsequent days that isn't hurting on day 1?

I got my 2014 AE in mid-June, and this is the first FJR I've spent any real time on, having only test-ridden a few others. I came from a 2007 Venture that I put 54k miles on. The Venture, for me, is a vastly less "athletic" ride than the FJR. Feet forward on footboards, not tucked up under you on pegs with a tiny foot window to the shifter. An upright riding position, made better with a Corbin Dual Tour saddle. The FJR instantly made me hurt in places that I haven't hurt in many years of riding. The Venture made my lower back hurt, from time to time, but never my butt or knees. The FJR makes my butt and knees hurt. But, I know that it takes quite a lot of time to get used to a bike. It took me a good year to get the Venture where I needed it, in terms of minor adjustments, and the saddle. I expect the FJR to take a year, maybe more. I've done a few 150 mile days, and my usual daily ride is just a hair over 100 miles, which in this high summer heat will make me glad to be home when its over. Once off the bike, my butt and knees recover within minutes.

If you do end up needing to move to another type of bike, you might consider a cruiser style with an upright riding position and feet forward.

-Risers, throttle spring unwind, padded riding gloves

-Vibranator antivibration bar end weights (these helped the most for me)

-Custom seat

-Start taking some supplements designed to improve joint mobility and reduce joint pain

-More leg exercises, less upper body

-Back exercises

-Take more breaks...riding is not an endurance sport...it's supposed to be fun

-Stay hydrated

-Put your seat in the high position...allows the knees to open-up a bit compared to the low position

I had a new 08 model a few years ago, so I know what you are feeling. My new 2015 is much better in a lot of ways compared to the 08 I owned...and I added a lot of extras to the 08 to try to make it a better feeling ride...in my butt and in my right hand.

Just a few thoughts. Hope you can find a solution to keep the bike.

Not sure how tall you are and the Tenere is a nice bike but its freakin tall. I'm 6' tall and dont think there is a snowballs chance I could live with one of them.

What the others mention makes sense to me. Doing some adjustments to tweak the bike to fit you. My current ride used to be so uncomfortable for me as well. I thought it was the bike for sure. Turns out it was me. Working up the mileage each time I'm able to go further and be very comfortable. Not sure if that would be the case for you but seems like giving these other things a try would be worthwhile before throwing in the towel. The bikes in your garage now vs. trying another bike that you dont know yet.
smile.png

-Risers, throttle spring unwind, padded riding gloves-Vibranator antivibration bar end weights (these helped the most for me)

-Custom seat

-Start taking some supplements designed to improve joint mobility and reduce joint pain

-More leg exercises, less upper body

-Back exercises

-Take more breaks...riding is not an endurance sport...it's supposed to be fun

-Stay hydrated

-Put your seat in the high position...allows the knees to open-up a bit compared to the low position

I had a new 08 model a few years ago, so I know what you are feeling. My new 2015 is much better in a lot of ways compared to the 08 I owned...and I added a lot of extras to the 08 to try to make it a better feeling ride...in my butt and in my right hand.

Just a few thoughts. Hope you can find a solution to keep the bike.

Thanks for the tips....

I'm 5'9" 30in inseam. 180lb healthy, muscular guy with a six pack. Lots of back, legs, cardio. So not much i can do body wise to help.

Daughter and I had camel packs on this trip, so lots of water intake. I think the seat is at the lowest position. Will move that and get some bar end weights.

I sat on a 2015, seems very similar to my 07, how would that model yr help....

No BMW's.

Never been within 10ft of a Tenere, but thru that in there as the cycle ergo site has it at a more upright seating like the 650 Strom I had a few bikes ago.

More breaks are probably the easiest solution. But having to stop while not needing food, fuel, water or to pee is upsetting.