People, Places and RUSH!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBandit

Reaction score
People, Places and RUSH!

There are waypoints and then there are WAYPOINTS. For me, the planning surrounding this ride was all about the WAYPOINTS. I really wanted to do some serious mileage in the 12 days I had to ride. The ride plan was formulated in February when Rush announced their 40th Anniversary Tour. Britbob and I already had plans to do our Dixie Shunpikin' ride at the end of May and I really wanted to see Rush more than just the New Orleans show we planned to take in. So this ride would have to be later in the tour and would involve riding out West, solo. I took a couple of hours and compared the Rush tour schedule to various scenarios on Google Maps. What I came up with turned out to be two Rush shows over an eleven day span and roughly 5,500 miles. I then set my calendar reminders to purchase tickets as soon as they went on sale for both the Denver and Calgary shows, July 11th and 15th, respectively.

While Calgary is a mere 2,300 miles from home, I surmised that I could pull that off in four days and be home by Sunday evening. I knew it would take a couple of very big mileage days, but hey, I'm an Iron Butt guy, I can do that! As a sidebar to the story: Actually, this ride took place right on the heels of the annual Iron Butt Rally. I have mad respect for those guys that do the IBA 10 10's rally. I'm not sure how they do it, but my co-workers don't know how I ride 200 miles in a day, much less 500+, back to back to back. So I understand it's all about mental and physical preparedness combined with endurance and mental focus. While it's likely not something I would want to do, I just respect the hell out of those riders!

Having pulled off one saddle sore and two butt burners in my day, and several 600-700 mile days I have the confidence necessary to plan multiple 500 plus mileage days in the saddle, back to back to back. So although I knew going in this was going to take a very aggressive riding plan it was something I really wanted to do.

If you read my ride report from the Shunpikin' trip you know I took a little tumble in Nashville towards the end of that ride. The results were some very bruised ribs and extremely bummed up left foot. I hobbled around for three or four weeks knowing I had placed my western adventure in jeopardy. But I kept the faith and finally got myself back in the gym a couple of weeks before my departure date of July 8th. I knew that were I to ride an average of 500 miles per day for 12 days my phatt azz better be in some sort of decent physical condition. While I didn't quite achieve the level I would have preferred I did at least get in a few hours on the elliptical and some light strength training. Right up until the weekend before the departure my foot was still bothering me, I knew my physical condition was not optimal, but mentally I was there and mentally I REALLY needed to go on this ride. My wife encouraged me to just strike on out and do what I could. She told me not to push my limits too far, but to enjoy myself and if I needed to stop, stop, even turn around if I had to. Although stopping short of my intended goal is not my style and turning around damn sure isn't, I took her most excellent advice and decided that it was on!

My initial plan was to ride to Dallas, visit my brother and then strike out to Denver for the Rush show on Saturday night the 11th. Ultimately, this was changed and I decided to throw in another show, the 9th in Kansas City. I didn't have a ticket but figured I could work that out. I changed up my initial starting route to take me to KC and then cross the plains through Kansas. That would put me right back on track to then spend a few days in the Rockies on my way to Calgary for the show on Wednesday night. Then back home via Rushmore and the Badlands.

So the stage is set, the band starts playing, suddenly you wish you were the star.... uh,wrong band, but appropriate song! Let's get this adventure underway. From here on out this RR will be picture laden, with scattered commentary or context.

DAY 1 - Let's Get this Party Started!

I have a plan, and that plan is to show you the yin and the yang of 12 days and 5,600 miles. Don't burn the image of this ugly mug into your brain too bad, but make sure you come back and compare it to the final picture when this RR is wrapped up in a few days.

001.JPG

Passing through Mississippi. This is a hot topic in our neck of the woods, and should be for all!

004.JPG

FJRBandit didn't forget his tank bag cover this time fellows!

028.JPG

On the day of departure I had run out of the office at mid-day and had already logged 420 miles. I figured with it being 7 p.m. and this big storm out ahead of me that was enough for the day. Stopped at the Riverview Inn, located in Mammoth Spring, AR, right on the Missouri boarder. Paid $41 for a clean room in this family run establishment. Good call!

029.JPG

My $100.00 per night budget was off to a great start and so was I! It was fabulous day to be back out on the bike, especially since I had ridden less than a combined 100 miles since my spill six weeks earlier.

I'll pick up with Day 2 and our first of three Rush shows in the next installment. Stay tuned, surprises are always just around the corner!

Last edited by a moderator:
DAY 2 - RUSH to KC

I'm glad you are on board Craig, especially since you are the star of Day 2!
emoji_u1f601.png
Craigregs a star you ask? Well, yes. A few weeks before my planned departure Craig told me that he and his buddy were going to see Rush in KC. Well, I had to rethink my Dallas route. Why not just roll north, see Rush in KC then strike out for Denver? Really it was a no brainer, especially after Craig said they planned to get into KC mid-day and hit the Royals game that afternoon and then catch the show that night. After an email or two with Craig it was set.

So on the morning of Day 2 I unsheathed the Grey Ghost and struck out at 6:30 a.m. with plans to be in KC by 12:30ish.

20150708_202432.jpg

As soon as I rolled out that morning I crossed the beautiful Spring River, layered in fog from the previous night's rain.

034.JPG

Just a few miles up the road the skies opened up again. I had to pull off and suit up.

20150709_064729.jpg

Things lightened up and I had a wonderful ride up MO 17 to MO 7.

042.JPG

055.JPG

Passed through a couple of places with "Peculiar" names, even one actually named Peculiar.

052.JPG

077.JPG

079.JPG

Next thing you know it's 325 miles and 6 hours later and I'm at the park.

094.JPG

Just so happens Craig and his buddy David come walking up. I changed out of my riding gear in the parking lot and we headed in.

085.JPG

086.JPG

083.JPG

While sipping on a few suds we watched KC kick Tampa Bay's ass! We witnessed a home run and a triple, in the first inning alone. It was a great game and after a beautiful afternoon at the park we loaded up and headed for the hotel to get cleaned up for the concert.

We stopped in at LC's BBQ for some authentic KC style Q! Warning: the following may be mouthwatering!

20150709_173903.jpg

20150709_175107.jpg

With bellies full it was time to head downtown to the Sprint Center. Gorgeous facility!

20150709_185356.jpg

Outside we gawked at Neal Peart's tour bus and the trailer that hid his GS1200.

20150709_183651.jpg

While we were in the cue waiting eagerly to get inside I met "Kelly D", self described, "Artist, Bestie, Jet Setting Party Girl". You'll learn later that she's not kidding!

20150709_190602.jpg

The first of three Rush concerts for me over the next six nights was soon underway.

20150709_195330.jpg

One of the main purposes in my mind that night was to get a picture of the bass guitar Geddy uses early in the show. Check out the symbol below the strings. I wanted that shot to show to a tattoo artist. I've never had the desire to get a tattoo, but after I saw that symbol on his bass at the New Orleans show I decided it was time for some ink. I would have gotten it that night in New Orleans but didn't have picture of it and couldn't really describe it either. Next time you see me you'll likely see this somewhere on me!

20150709_201434.jpg

No sooner than the show started it seemed it was over. Actually, it had been three hours, but these guys act like they're just hitting their prime. Time flies when you are having fun and they ROCK!

20150709_223158.jpg

In the next installment I strike out across the plains of Kansas and make my way to Colorado Springs. Till then, I bid you adieu!

More!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a side note, a co-worker and I drove my car from southern Oregon to vegas to see them at the mgm.....best rush show even though they looked a bit weary nearing the end of their tour. Played stuff I did not expect to hear. Was very emotional.

"I have a plan, and that plan is to show you the yin and the yang of 12 days and 5,600 miles."

Great report so far & pretty damned ironic. I just got back yesterday from exactly that, almost to the mile. Did 12 day loop to the great NW and had 5585 on the odometer when I pulled in the driveway.

Cool.

I haven't seen Rush since the days they used to play Maple Leaf Gardens on New Years Eve. I'm actually in the crowd one of the nights they recorded All the Worlds a Stage.

".. and the meek shall inherit the earth ... tick .. tick.. tick..."

I've seen Rush a few times, and have never been disappointed. Looking forward to the rest of this RR!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement! There are nine more days left in this journey, I'll try not to drag it out too long for ya.
uhoh.gif

DAY 3 - Toto, Let's get the Hell out of Kansas!

Craig, David and I managed to call it a night before the carriage turned into a pumpkin the night before. Despite my good intentions to get on the road early and enjoy my time crossing the plains, instead of dreading it as many do, it just didn't happen. That damn bed at the Four Seasons just wouldn't let me out. I really was looking forward to burning up the Kansas back roads that day. Much as Mfletch and I had done a couple of years ago in the hinterlands of Oklahoma I expected to see some 25 mpg time. But just as many plans are well laid, many plans are blown. I think I finally got out of the hotel and headed out to the bike to load up around 9 am. Trust me, through the years I have learned that's really not the way to start a 600 mile day. However, that's the way this day started.

There is a positive in my getting out late that day though. As I walked out of the hotel, dragging all of my bags and gear in one single haul, I noticed this guy standing by the FJR and thought to myself, "Self, you really don't have time to get into a conversation with a random stranger, just get the bike packed and let's roll." Yeah right. Turns out the guy standing by the bike had just pulled his truck out of the basement parking lot where he had stored it overnight to safeguard all the tools he had in the back. See, Pedro was a dude who had just finished a job in Raleigh, NC and was on his way home to the LA area after being gone from his family for three months. He had been working on a remodeling job at a hotel there and was looking forward to getting home, resting up a few days before he headed out on his next lengthy assignment. As I chatted with Pedro I realized how fortunate I am to have a lovely wife at home who encourages me to to get out and ride and in general, enjoy life. All the while here's Pedro, a guy who is just trying to scratch out a living, but with a smile on his face and a kind word or two for strangers. I enjoyed my 30 minute chat with Pedro, regardless of whether it delayed me even more than I had delayed myself already that day.

Pedro is good people!

098.JPG

While I was chatting with Pedro, David came rolling out of the hotel as well. I met David through Craig just the day before and quickly realized he was one hell'uva nice guy as well. He said Craig had gotten away much earlier, like he had planned, because he had to get back to Des Moines. David was waiting on a buddy to come pick him up because he was staying in KC to do some volunteer work at the Royals homestand all weekend.

Here's another good dude! Thanks to Craig for introducing me to David.

095.JPG

I finally told the guys I had to hit the road and waved goodbye. Kick stand up at 10 am and 600 miles to go. Wow!

101.JPG

Reality set in as I was heading down the road. But soon I was where I wanted to be, on the plains of Kansas on US 56.

117.JPG

That must have been Dorothy's house I passed because before too long I was in one of the worst storms I've ever encountered on the bike. I saw the dark clouds ahead but based on my view of the radar only an hour or so before figured I would just punch through. The speeds in which I had just been blowing by big rigs would get me a hefty performance award but now I was in mortal fear for my life. The skies opened up and it came a gully washer. Lightening was popping all around and there was literally no place to pull off and escape. The shoulder of the road wasn't an option because it was very narrow and essentially mud. There were no houses anywhere within the limited sight I had and I couldn't even see a barn anywhere. My speed was down to 30 mph at best because I couldn't see 50 feet in front of me. It was literally raining that hard. I just knew one of those big rigs I had passed 15 minutes before was about to make road kill out of me. This went on for what seemed like an eternity but probably more like 20 miles.

Just when conditions started to improve I came up on what should have been a four way intersection, but was now a three way intersection. The highway I was on was under major construction and closed going straight. There were detour signs pointed me towards more nasty looking clouds. I had enough of that so I turned north towards mildly brighter skies. Then turned west again on the first decent looking road I came upon. Well, that lasted about 5 miles when all of the sudden I ran up on a section of road that the pavement was just completely washed out. Pucker factor was pushing 10 as I skooted across the rocks and gravel at 50-60 mph. From there on I was on "wash out" watch and kept my speed down around 50 in anticipation of more off road fun. All the while I am calculating in my mind just how much further behind schedule I am now. It's well past 2 pm and I am not even to central Kansas yet.

Finally, the skies cleared and I intersected with I-135. I jumped on the slab and blasted northward towards I-70. Stopped for fuel, and to change drawers
no.gif
in Salina. It was now 3 pm and I still had over 400 miles to go. I decided it was best to slab it the rest of the way so I jumped on I-70 and headed west. Beautiful weather and much warmer temps greeted me with every mile.

125.JPG

130.JPG

129.JPG

At 90 mph you can cover some ground quick. Next thing you know I was crossing into Colorful Colorado. I found it interesting how they honored the Tuskegee Airmen, that's pretty cool.

133.JPG

140.JPG

143.JPG

As dusk started settling in I caught my first glimpse of the Rockies in the distance.

157.JPG

164.JPG

Night finally fell and I FINALLY made it to Colorado Springs. It was pushing 9 pm and I needed some rest. Fortunately I didn't really have a big day planned the next day. I had ridden to Colorado Springs so that I could hit Pikes Peak on my way to Denver for the Rush concert the following evening. Well, turns out Colorado Springs is a happening place in the summertime. For the life of me I could not find a hotel.

After getting turned away from four different hotels I got on the phone and called hotels from Castle Rock to Pueblo. I even called the hotel that I had reservations at the following night in Denver. Nobody had a room! Finally, I located a Motel 6 15 miles south of me in Fountain, CO. I gave the guy my credit card number and said I am on the way. I got there, the parking lot was full but he had me a room. It was 11 pm and my ass was dragging. As I was carrying my gear inside the clerk placed this sign on the door.

166.JPG

But I made it to the room, called Domino's, ordered a sandwich, took a hot shower and made it a point to make reservations for the three nights following Denver (where I already had reservations for the next evening). I wasn't having this again! It had been a long day in the saddle and I was ready for some much needed rest. As I turned out the lights I thought to myself, "Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore." Thankfully, we made it out alive!

Goodnight y'all, see ya tomorrow at 14,000 ft.

DAY 4 - Rocky Mountain High, Colorado

167.JPG

In the previous installment I said I stayed at a Motel 6. Well, I apparently I was so tired I got my numbers wrong.
not_i.gif

So the sun comes up and I'm up with the chickens. On the one morning I could actually sleep in I didn't/couldn't. Turns out, that was a good thing because I got up and decided to head on to Pike's Peak and hopefully beat the rush on my way to see Rush. Ah the irony!
rolleyes.gif

I head outside and get the bike loaded up and run into this gentleman that I had spoken with briefly the night before as I was unloading the bike. He commented on the Confederate flag sticker I had on the back of my helmet. He said that he was a retired Army SGM and was in town from somewhere Wisconsin visiting his son. We went on to have quite a political conversation that I will refrain from repeating due to Forum rules, but suffice it to say, this gentleman gets it. He told me, quote, "I've never had a dog in that fight but what they're doing to y'all down there makes me want to get a flag and fly it in my front yard." I gave him my card and told him to send me his address and I'd mail him the flag!

More good people right here, Sargent Major Joe.

169.JPG

I loaded up and hit the road. As I was pulling out of the gas station I spotted a couple of folks that likely didn't have the luck I had the night before in finding a room.

172.JPG

As I am rolling towards the Garden of the Gods I noticed three motorcycles at the light travelling in the opposite direction that I was heading. Now, I can't prove what I saw, but I'm fairly certain it was what I think it was. The lead bike rolled by and I hardly noticed, but then I noticed a black GS1200 and trailing was a red GS1200 and the rider was in full black leather. About a half a block up the road it hit me, that was Neil Peart! Like I say, I can't prove it, but it only goes to reason. It was just after 8 am, the three likely had just left Garden of the Gods Hotel and Spa, a place Neil would likely stay and it was right around departure time for a short ride in the Rockies on his way to the show in Denver that evening. No pictures, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
bike.gif

So I head on up to the entrance to Pike's Peak. My early departure is paying off. The line to get in is really not very long.

179.JPG

The hogs in front of me fortunately pulled over after paying so they could all gather into formation. I was just relieved I wasn't going to have to listen to that crap all the way up the mountain.

But the ride up was - well, out of this world! WOW, WOW, WOW! It was an unusually clear day and the views were simply stunning! I'll just shut up now and let the pictures do the talking.

186.JPG

191.JPG

204.JPG

226.JPG

228.JPG

Pardon the interruption, this view is not quite as stunning.
no.gif

248.JPG

252.JPG

That Yin fellow kept following me around.

257.JPG

Back to the stunning.

254.JPG

It really was a beautiful day up on that mountain. Actually, I experienced a little bit of altitude sickness while at the summit. As I was walking around taking pictures I got light headed and dizzy. I headed back to the bike and sat there for a bit and it all went away. But that's the first time I've ever experience that strange feeling and I've hiked at over 13,000 ft. elevations before. It was nice to be able to breath normal again!

While I was sitting on the bike I had another gentleman come up to me and comment on the sticker on my helmet. He was from Illinois and essentially told me the same thing SGM Joe had only an hour or two before. We chatted a few minutes then said our farewells. nice Gold Wing guy!

Then it was back down the mountain and time to head towards Denver.

237.JPG

262.JPG

I stopped in downtown Colorado Springs and had an early lunch. While sitting outside on the sidewalk I saw the metermaid place a parking ticket on my bike. Really?? Saturday morning and parking spaces everywhere. Actually, I would have dropped a quarter in the meter but forgot as I was securing my gear since there were a few questionable characters milling around. Oh well, I doubt very seriously Colorado Springs will be collecting the $25 fine from me anytime soon.

Just under 200 miles later, my shortest day of the trip, I arrived at my hotel around 2 pm, hoping to check in and get a little cat nap before heading downtown for the pre-show festivities in a couple of hours. But luck wasn't on my side, my room wasn't ready. So I went next door and sat at the bar at Chili's and had a couple of cold ones. Finally around 3 pm the desk clerk called and said that my room was ready. By the time I got my gear hauled in and took my shower it was time to catch the train. I had selected this hotel specifically because it was 1) priced right at $89, not bad for a 1 BDR suite at the Towne Suites by Marriott and 2) primarily because it was right on the light rail line that would take me straight to the Pepsi Center for the show. There's just something really cool to this Southern boy about catching the train to a rock concert. it just feels right.

20150711_171721.jpg

So I get off the train at the Pepsi Center stop and head over to this really cool restaurant/bar named Brooklyn's. I highly recommend this place for it's atmosphere alone. It's an old warehouse that obviously has been converted with re-purposed wood beams and just overall a really cool decor.

20150711_200636.jpg

It was packed with Rush fans everywhere and of course they had Rush playing on the sound system. While sitting at the bar, enjoying my barley and hops flavored Rocky Mountain Spring water I met some new friends, Shantel, her mother Joy, a Native American who lives on a reservation in New Mexico and Shantel's friend, Angie. Joy invited me to come visit the reservation sometime and she said I would be welcomed with open arms. I'd really like to take her up on that offer some day. But today, she was in Denver to visit her daughter and they were going to see Rush together. How cool is that?

Here's some really sweet ladies! from L to R -- Joy, Angie and Shantel

20150711_192739.jpg

So I said goodbye to my new friends and headed into my second Rush show in as many nights. The boys, Brainy, Horny and Corny really put on a show!

270.JPG

269.JPG

278.JPG

351.JPG

353.JPG

386.JPG

And the meek shall inherit the earth.....

We've taken care of everything

The words you read, the songs you sing

The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes

It's all for one and one for all

We work together, common sons

Never need to wonder how or why

Tomorrow, we head for the Rockies and then into the land where the buffalo roam, or at least used to.

DAY 5 - Jurassic Park

253.JPG

No, that's not Jurassic Park, that's the Denver skyline as I headed out the next morning with just over 500 hundred miles to cover. My destination, Kemmerer, WY. Kemmerer is a little town in the southwest corner of Wyoming and really had no significance to me, other than the fact I located a decent hotel there in my mass reservation panic a couple of nights before. It would stage me for my assault on the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone the following day and then ultimately into the southwest corner of Montana later that evening. But today, we had some Rocky terrain to cross.

258.JPG

About this point in the ride, maybe thirty miles out from Denver or so, I was seriously considering stopping and getting a room. Yes it's beautiful there and all, but that wasn't the reason. Something happened when I was pulling out of the hotel parking lot and my back was screaming! I think it got thrown out when I went over a speed breaker in the parking lot. I'm telling you, I was in some serious pain and not sure I could withstand this for another 10 hours. I had already been dealing with severe nerve pain down into my right shoulder blade pretty much the entire trip. That pain is just a given to me and results from past neck surgeries. Bottom line is, if I'm gonna ride I have to accept the fact that's going to be there. The pleasure I get from riding must exceed the pain it creates, so here I am. But this kink in my back was almost too much too bear. That morning the scenery was so beautiful I started concentrating on it instead of the pain and kept telling myself to push on, eventually it would subside.

260.JPG

262.JPG

Next thing you know I saw this sign. It reminded me of my best buddy back home who's last name and this town name are one in the same.

259.JPG

Then it was time to refuel and maybe take an extra dose of Ibuprofen, or two! I exited on US 40 and stopped in Empire to take a break, take some meds, STRETCH and refuel. I didn't realize that I was in the hometown of the original Hard Rock Cafe!

267.JPG

After I filled the tank I pulled around back into a gravel parking lot where there were four bikes and five bikers waiting on their ridding buddies for a beautiful Sunday morning stroll up to Rocky Mountain National Park. There were two Harleys and two BMW 1200RT's in the group. One of the Harley guys was 2 up with "Taryn", and as I would later learn this dude could ride! One of the BMW guys works for a company that is headquartered in my hometown of Birmingham, AL and he travels to the corporate headquarters a couple of times a year. I gave him my card and invited him to give me a call next time he's in town. Small world isn't it...

I don't recall their names, other than Taryn, but these were some really cool folks! No, that's not the guy from Pawn Stars, although he damn sure looks like him!

269.JPG

After a nice chat they decided their friends weren't coming and decided it was time to roll. I fell in line and followed them up US 40 for several miles before they pulled into a scenic turnout. I would have loved to stop, but with 450 more miles to go I needed to push on.

272.JPG

Then, I was back on my own.

274.JPG

Shortly I was in Winter Park, CO, then Granby, CO, where I crossed the headwaters of the Colorado River. I've never given it much thought before, but when I think of the Colorado River I think Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. I was a long way from those places. No wonder this river has so much power, it starts in a very high place and flows for hundreds of miles.

277.JPG

287.JPG

293.JPG

Somewhere along here I had a deer jump out in front of me. It called for emergency braking and reminded me of the dangers that would be posed to me as I progressed into the deep wilderness on this adventure. I slowed down, for a little while at least.
rolleyes.gif

280.JPG

299.JPG

Then it was into Steamboat Springs, for more fuel and a break. Fortunately, the crick in my back was beginning to work itself out and I was settling in for a wonderful ride.

304.JPG

306.JPG

305.JPG

I saw this place and it gave me a chuckle due to an inside joke. Ask me about it in person sometime. Had to get a pic!

309.JPG

Then it was back to the open road.

314.JPG

316.JPG

324.JPG

323.JPG

333.JPG

336.JPG

Then I came upon this place and figured it was time to take a break.

350.JPG

347.JPG

I walked inside the visitor's center and this guy greeted me at the door.

345.JPG

Actually, this was the entrance to the auto tour. I really wish I had time to make the 62 mile round trip into the Yampa Bench and Whirlpool Canyon, but just couldn't do that today.

Crossed into Utah and next thing you know I was in Vernal, UT. Neat little town that thrives on the dinosaur theme and visitors to the Dinosaur National Monument. I will definitely have to make a return visit some day! This area has a lot to offer from a geological standpoint. With the beauty of the surrounding area, with the mountains and hiking trails etc... I could see myself setting up basecamp in Vernal for several days.

355.JPG

376.JPG

377.JPG

Then I turned north on US 191 and took it all the way to I-80 in Rock Springs, WY. If you've never traveled this road I would say put it on your list for sure! Awesome, stunning, majestic, fill in the blank with the over the top adjective, it was simply incredible! Enjoy.

384.JPG

393.JPG

396.JPG

397.JPG

403.JPG

409.JPG

continued in the next post...

DAY 5 - cont.

Then it was on to the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area.

417.JPG

421.JPG

426.JPG

389.JPG

390.JPG

388.JPG

433.JPG

435.JPG

Then it was onward towards Wyoming.

440.JPG

443.JPG

445.JPG

452.JPG

454.JPG

456.JPG

I stopped for fuel and a break before jumping on I-80 for the final push to Kemmerer. While fueling, I rubbed my eyes and rolled a contact back into my eye. After digging it out, fun, I was ready to put the contact back in when a gust of wind came along and blew the contact off my finger. Hmmm... fortunately I planned ahead and had a spare in my kit. This is where that fiasco happened.

464.JPG

Crisis averted and I jumped on I-80 for the final 60 miles to my much needed rest!

This wasn't my hotel, I just thought that scene, with the hotel in the foreground in the shadows of the tall buttes was picture worthy, especially since my digital film doesn't cost me a dime to develop.
tonguesmiley.gif

466.JPG

I arrived in town just as the sun was beginning to set.

468.JPG

As I was unloading a guy came up to me and started chatting motorcycles. He and his buddy had just arrived from Kansas City. I told him, that in a round about way, I had as well. They had trailered their bikes, an Aprilia and Triumph, for a 7 day adventure ride out through the Idaho wilderness. Sweet!

411.JPG

The three of us jumped on the bikes and rode into town looking for some dinner and a beer. We found the beer, but dinner was a little more scarce. We had a nice chat over a couple of Stella's at this place.

419.JPG

They didn't serve food there so I ended up having to get a sub at the gas station Subway. Oh well, good stop because I found some good snacks for the remainder of the trip, some wasabi peas, roasted pumpkin seeds and roasted corn. Yum! These went well with the almonds my aunt had roasted for me to carry on the trip.

572.JPG

After the great 525 mile ride through the Rockies, Dinosaur land, Flaming Gorge and now into butte land, I was ready for some rest. Tomorrow it's onward to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. You definitely want to stay tuned, we're really just getting started!

Good stuff Bandito! Looking forward to more tall tales of you roaming the wild wild west on your steed.