Won't Start - Any suggestions before I trailer to dealer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackroadsFJR

Reaction score
The bike is a '13 w/ 6k and has been sitting for a couple weeks. Last time I rode it was in a heavy rain. When I try to start it the bike it turns over fine but the engine trouble light remains on. There are no trouble codes displayed and there's gas in the tank. I was planning a trip Sunday thru Weds. but may be hauling the bike to the shop if I can't get it running tomorrow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I'd start with the obvious: Are you starting the bike in neutral? If not, give that a try. If that works and it dies as soon as you put it in gear, go into diag mode and check the sidestand switch. My (substantial) gut tells me that's your most likely problem. The engine trouble light is probably on just because it doesn't start. If you get it started in neutral, it should go away.

I'd start with the obvious: Are you starting the bike in neutral? If not, give that a try. If that works and it dies as soon as you put it in gear, go into diag mode and check the sidestand switch. My (substantial) gut tells me that's your most likely problem. The engine trouble light is probably on just because it doesn't start. If you get it started in neutral, it should go away.
Engine won't turn over with a sidestand, clutch or kill switch fault. Probably flooded and needs the WOT starting method. 10 seconds WOT. If it doesn't go, try again. May take several tries. Make sure battery is fully charged.

+1. Try cranking with throttle wide open. Close the throttle when it fires.

If it's flooded, that's the only way to blow the accumulated fuel out of the intakes and cylinders., byt giving it all the air it can suck in.

Glad it worked for you. Usually happens if you start the bike and then shut it off before it gets fully warmed up.