EOM Scouting Report of the Allegheny Highlands

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spklbuk

Reaction score
Base camp for Alegany and me.

Home sweet home.

Set up some flimsy rain tarp poles.

Began to sort through some gear.

DSC09188_zpsbzkbyokg.jpg

DSC09191_zpsvaxztqbr.jpg

Hey what’s that I see!? Why it’s a snifter of wax covered mule piss (many thanks pal o’ mine FYBob)! And I may have supplemented it later with a lil’ Gobbler 101 (my year ago birthday gift from El Toro Joe; I reckon we’ll celebrate belated b-days this year Joe)

DSC09189_zpsca3397w7.jpg

I nursed the sipping spirits well into evening thoroughly enjoying the close of light night bird concerto set against the gentle white noise gurgle of Mill Creek and fire TV.

DSC09198_zpsjpaqqzw7.jpg

Dawn comes over Kumbrabow.

DSC09199_zpshj5ptgoh.jpg

Time to head out the Turkey Bone and do some exploring.

DSC09201_zpsxviyow1v.jpg

Along US219S.

DSC09202_zpscrpjic6l.jpg

A violent fold.

DSC09203_zpsz6qh5tdj.jpg

EOM appetite whet.

DSC09204_zpshwgwvyno.jpg

DSC09205_zps3qblcn9u.jpg

DSC09206_zpsovqzt3or.jpg

DSC09207_zpsoubzir3i.jpg

DSC09208_zpsyqfoc6ec.jpg

DSC09209_zpssbqxqalf.jpg

DSC09210_zpsieyyuaw5.jpg

DSC09213_zps1ilh1fnh.jpg

DSC09214_zpslkdv2gyb.jpg

DSC09218_zpshyztmgrq.jpg

DSC09219_zpsizzj2j60.jpg

DSC09220_zpsryv8ay1w.jpg

DSC09221_zpsldwnzbvi.jpg

DSC09222_zps6kul4twp.jpg

DSC09223_zpsrowvgh7b.jpg

DSC09224_zpsuydodxzk.jpg

DSC09225_zps7d7ijo7s.jpg

DSC09228_zps0byisbix.jpg

Spent a week one day at this very spot during my first road trip aboard Snowflake.

DSC09229_zps0uufmw4f.jpg

Pocahontas Co. farmland fodder.

DSC09231_zpsy1secssa.jpg

DSC09232_zpswflcxqp7.jpg

A freshly maintained wildlife opening on Middle Mountain Road.

DSC09234_zpsbrdu4url.jpg

EOM NOTE: You Sept fudpucks who insist on dual sporting your FJR ^^^this^^^ is THE road for you. The payoff on the other end is Glady Road to Alpena…paved bliss…turn up the wick!

Aleghany and me however had other locales to explore.

DSC09235_zps6wjtqnjo.jpg

When we got to Durbin look who we found sitting in Station No. 2 Eatery. [Pause…set camera to super duty mode]…It’s ol’ slowride Chuck himself.

DSC09240_zpsaieorphu.jpg

Day’s end.

DSC09246_zpsctfpgnye.jpg

DSC09253_zpstiardd7f.jpg

Daybreak Day 3.

DSC09247_zpsm0bollae.jpg

Chuck was silly enough to let me lead so I set my nasal GPS north.

After a few supplemental exploratory circle tours, subsequent routing recalibrations and an ample mix of surfaces including a flood repair full tri-axle load of loose 3-inch rip rap along the steeeeep northern slope of Pandusky Ridge Road, we eventually found ourselves here.

DSC09249_zpsfbudeati.jpg

Personal assessment…great place to visit, but I wouldn’t much enjoy camping here. However the Middle Fork of the Buckhannon River sure looked inviting on a hot humid July day.

DSC09250_zpshzltlf67.jpg

We headed into Belington for fuel. Chuck was too far too busy checking in to be sure mama had not shortened his leash to help [chickenshit] but I procured the makings for a fine supper at the Belington Shop-and-Save and we saddled up to bear determinedly south. [Note: Wolfman panniers make fine coolers in spite of the obvious color shortcomings].

Kingsville Road (blissfully sweeet newly surfaced twisties), Coalton Road, up and across Rich Mountain Road by the Battlefield and sharp descent into Beverly let us pick up US219S back to camp.

After a day in full gear and that special late July hot and sticky along multi-faceted roads our appetites were far too sharp for fiddling with a camera. But while quaffing down a few ice-cold malted hops and barley we rustled up culinary ecstasy; hand cut and tenderized charcoal smoked top round seasoned with spklbuk’s exclusive eclectic rub of pulverized Original Wise Sour Cream and Onion potato chips along with bagged farmer’s mix greens.

It sure beat the hell out of Chuck’s earlier “Oh, I’ll just heat up a can of beans back in camp” ill-conceived [half-assed] notion.

The fittest bear hound in all of Randolph Co. wouldn’t have had a prayer against ol’ slowride in a steak and greens whoofdown!!

Day’s end.

DSC09246_zpsctfpgnye.jpg

Packed up to head home.

DSC09259_zpsqyy4xfr2.jpg

But first a short tour of Kumbrabow nicety.

Mill Creek at our campsite.

DSC09242_zpshthlj0yi.jpg

Mill Creek Falls

DSC09260_zpsydnrt1ws.jpg

Current front runner of candidate sites for FODS East 2016.

DSC09264_zpsyrkhzdn5.jpg

Kumbrabow has gnomes covered too.

DSC09266_zps1irl7w2p.jpg

A few miles south on US219S and Alegany absolutely insisted we turn west here and head up Sharps Knob over into the Three Forks of the Gauley.

DSC09268_zpsj5hntkxj.jpg

Of the three, I chose the South Fork route.

DSC09270_zps1vt8parp.jpg

DSC09275_zpsrqqfsdot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to split the post to make the forum software happy...

DSC09278_zpscr6r10ca.jpg

DSC09279_zpstx1szq4f.jpg

Grabbed some fuel and portable lunch at Y-Mart in Upper Glade and headed up Williams River.

DSC09282_zpsdqx3bwpd.jpg

Highland Scenic Highway at Tea Creek.

DSC09284_zpsz5lzkrsp.jpg

Picnic lunch with a view at Big Spruce Overlook.

DSC09285_zpsuu2kkog1.jpg

DSC09287_zps8kct3tip.jpg

A short botanical stroll to aid digestion.

DSC09292_zpsskevnpqo.jpg

A very proud [honkin’ huge mamajamma] Cinnamon Fern (for scale that hunk of sandstone in the left foreground is about 8 inches across).

DSC09293_zpsrp3veyfh.jpg

Reindeer moss is really a lichen.

DSC09294_zpspiwxjzht.jpg

Scenes from the boardwalk.

DSC09296_zpsi1t8agxf.jpg

DSC09297_zpskl06w7xf.jpg

Doug is that what I think it is? Invasive Tree of Heaven? Damn, that sucks big time!

DSC09299_zpsxauwfgfs.jpg

Summit Lake lays further south along the Highland Scenic Highway.

DSC09300_zpsuug7ewty.jpg

DSC09301_zps0rozyjou.jpg

DSC09302_zpsqnaek0ym.jpg

Leaving the Mon until next time.

DSC09172_zpsfx0lbe9k.jpg

Wonderful pictures. One day I would like to ride the highlands scenic byway. Not much crowd in those parts

Great RR and pics Jim. We will definitely toast our belated birthdays at EOM, if not camping over Labor day weekend.
I'll be damn. Was unaware. Just looked and Labor Day does match. Hmmmnn...https://www.cassrailroad.com/cottages.html]https://www.cassrailroad.com/cottages.html[/url]
Sounds good to me...but I think we'd need to find a few more people to share a house. Or maybe just find a place to camp. Although a bed and a roof overhead is always nice.

That was a given Joe.

I have an ulterior motive...Cass is a leading site for a possible FODS East II. Be good to scope it out with a smaller group and see if it fits. Probably full on a holiday anyways.

Thanks Cav.

Tyler I can hardly wait to see what you do with your camera when in WV!

Awesome ride report Jim. I am itching to get out sometime this month and camp for a weekend. Can't believe that FODS has been the only camping I have dome this year! Glad you finally got to enjoy the mule piss too!

Awesome ride report Jim. I am itching to get out sometime this month and camp for a weekend. Can't believe that FODS has been the only camping I have dome this year! Glad you finally got to enjoy the mule piss too!
Thanks Bob the MMark snifter will serve as a refillable take along for medicinal use on many journeys to come. In fact, I have already desecrated it as it is currently full of WT101. I had to have some place to stash the gobbler before I ended up spending a Kumbrabow night in my camp chair.

I am itching to get out sometime this month and camp for a weekend.
Hey Joe! Are you listening? One recruit has already volunteered.

Hmmmm...https://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/robert-w-craig/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73371

Thanks Bob the MMark snifter will serve as a refillable take along for medicinal use on many journeys to come. In fact, I have already desecrated it as it is currently full of WT101. I had to have some place to stash the gobbler before I ended up spending a Kumbrabow night in my camp chair.

Hmmmm...https://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/robert-w-craig/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73371
Unfortunately as I have mentioned to Bob...I don't have an open weekend in August, and I'm also out for Labor Day weekend as well.

Unfortunately as I have mentioned to Bob...I don't have an open weekend in August, and I'm also out for Labor Day weekend as well.
Well now that kinda sucks Joe. Belated b-days celebration it is. We'll miss you.

Hey Bob...Jackie has Joe on a short leash...po' bastage. Jennings Randolph?

Very nice RR and pics, I was look'n for some Moonshiner's stills; well, you were in their footprint especially with a dual-sport leading the way ;)

Thanks for sharing :)

Well now that kinda sucks Joe. Belated b-days celebration it is. We'll miss you.

Hey Bob...Jackie has Joe on a short leash...po' bastage. Jennings Randolph?
That's what I was thinking. And no need to recycle. I'll bring more.

So...... if a fella was changing tars, what is the recommended rubber on the FJR for dualsporting.........
Ask your fellow countryman FJRROB. He been there done that!