Oil leak on 08 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyRider

Reaction score
Long story-short last week my 08 and I were t-boned and both eventually transported home. The bike was hit on the right side, lifted and skidded back down three lanes later. Damage includes the right side mirror, right side trunk cover, twisted forks and frame slider.

There was a puddle of oil (motor oil leaking) while lying on the right side prior to returning the bike to the upright position. Talking to the local Yamaha dealers service manager (trusted friend) he said that was not a good sign. The right side frame slider was worn-torn off the bike. Is it possible that the oil is coming from a cracked component of the motor?

The insurance company is picking up the bike Monday to evaluate it and I would like to know if the oil is an indicator of a serious problem? Also besides having twisted forks the tire appears to have rubbed the lower fairing, another bad sign? Sorry if my writing-typing is confusing, still dealing with some brain bruising from the accident.

Thank you,

Domenic

IMO leaking oil is always a bad sign. Based on your description of the wreck and the damage to the bike I would surprised if they didn't total it anyhow. Between the oil leak and possible (likely) frame damage I would be hesitant to accept any insurance determination that didn't total it.

Oh yeah and glad you are around to ask about the bike. Sounds like it could have been much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long story-short last week my 08 and I were t-boned and both eventually transported home. The bike was hit on the right side, lifted and skidded back down three lanes later. Damage includes the right side mirror, right side trunk cover, twisted forks and frame slider.
There was a puddle of oil (motor oil leaking) while lying on the right side prior to returning the bike to the upright position. Talking to the local Yamaha dealers service manager (trusted friend) he said that was not a good sign. The right side frame slider was worn-torn off the bike. Is it possible that the oil is coming from a cracked component of the motor?

The insurance company is picking up the bike Monday to evaluate it and I would like to know if the oil is an indicator of a serious problem? Also besides having twisted forks the tire appears to have rubbed the lower fairing, another bad sign? Sorry if my writing-typing is confusing, still dealing with some brain bruising from the accident.

Thank you,

Domenic
Hope you didn't suffer as much as the bike did.

Check the crank-case cover for damage. Possibly ground through or poked through with the slider/brake lever or some-such. If this is the cause, it's not serious (other than a new cover).

I suppose it could be the thread for the engine mount being distorted, that could cause an oil leak. That would be a new crankcase.

Unlikely internal damage due to lack of oil, but all bets are off for accident damage inside.

You could have a write-off. If your insurance is ok, this might be the best result. I'd hate to have a repaired bike that might have a twisted or weakened frame or some other hidden issue.

Bike is toast. The slider bolts to the engine mount. Most likely took a hit during the crash. I would not want this bike fixed for sure. Only worth for parts now. If they don't total it I would be surprised.

How many miles on it?

Dave

The bike has 17,000 miles on it, just finished servicing the forks, swing arms, coolant etc. My guess is that it will be totaled. The young lady (newdriver) hit me at about 20mph, I lifted my right leg up (dirt bike reaction) gunned the throttle and steered left.

I really love the bike and hoped to retire from riding on the bike. Anyway I’m trying to be positive but the bike sounds like it will be leaving me

forever.

Motor runs well, idling in first on the stand I can hear a bearing type noise in the rear axle also now.

So maybe it has more damage then I want to accept. Anyway thanks for the comments.

The good thing is that you're still with us. The bike can and probably will be replaced . Heal well.

Get a new bike. I had a deer strike in my 2006. We repaired. Years later I was still findung things that were bad