2007 No Start, need some help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet mechanic

Reaction score
2007 Fjr, A , 65000 miles, no previous issues,

The bike had been sitting for 3 weeks during a new house move. Went to start it, gauges swept, heard the fuel pump, the engine chugged once but no start. Tried again and the engine is spinning but there seems to be no ignition.

Tried WOT and can smell fuel but no chugging.

Checked the ignition fuse, it was good.

The engine is turning over so I don't believe it can be a safety switch or the ignition switch.

Went straight to the coil packs since the engine is turning over and found the following;

The red/black on the outer coil pack, and the red double blue dot leads on the inner coil pack, had 12 volts.

The orange (outer coil pack)and the gray/red wires (inner coil pack) which come from the ecu were dead, which means they are grounds, checked the ohms and they both read .22ohms.

Did a resistance check on the primary coil side of the packs and both read .2 ohms. Did not bother with the secondary since I just don't think they would both go bad.

Checked all spiders and all look and checked good.

Since this mean the ecu controls the ground for ignition should I be looking at a crank sensor?

What else can effect the ecu which would allow the engine to rotate but no ignition?

Can you have a bad crank sensor with no fault code showing?

Will be waiting for words of wisdom from the forum guru's and thank you guys in advance for any assistance.

Sounds like fast starter syndrome...crank it WOT until it starts (might take a while). I had this happen to my 06 with 95K miles, this past April, after sitting since October. Never happened before, and has not happened since.

I agree with El Toro Joe. Same happened to me at the beginning of this riding season. Check your spark plugs case they are flooded, but crank it WOT and maybe attach the battery to a decent charger so you dont kill it.

Hmmmm....... sitting 3 weeks, if you have corn juice in your fuel, it may have separated.... try a couple ounces of Seafoam to soak up the water that may be lurking at the bottom of the tank. I always put a bit in if it's gonna sit for more than a couple of weeks.

Well, once again the forum comes through.

I did try a WOT start at the beginning of all this with no success.

I just went back out, connected vise grips to the battery leads to get a better connection, used an industrial battery charger here at work(set to 18 volts) and tried it again.

It took 3 attempts with the starter running for about 45 to 50 seconds per try, but she started!!!!!

The vise grips were smoking hot when it finally started but she did start!!!!

Thanks el toro joe and luis!!!

Yep,

I've been there when the bike hasn't been ridden for awhile.

The FJR just does NOT like to be neglected...especially if the battery is weak and doesn't catch on the first try.

...I just went back out, connected vise grips to the battery leads to get a better connection, used an industrial battery charger here at work(set to 18 volts) and tried it again.It took 3 attempts with the starter running for about 45 to 50 seconds per try, but she started!!!!!The vise grips were smoking hot when it finally started but she did start!!!!...
Glad you got it started. The vice grips were a nice touch. IMO, 18 volts is too much for the ECU, ABS ECU and meter assembly, glad it worked out for you this time. IMO, cranking time should have been a bit shorter and just done more times with a little cooling time in between for the starter. If you think the vice grips were hot, just remember that the starter was sucking down all those amps which heated up the grips. (Flame suit on..... err, for my opinion, not your bike ;) )

I agree with ironbeam. 20 seconds max. Anything more will usually will cook windings.

My 07 has done that a couple of times after sitting a bit, can't really pin point it but when it happens I just 3/4 on the throttle and away she goes.

ironbeam...I like it.

Makes it seems like he's a weightlifter or sumpin!
biggrin.png

I made a mistake when I was reading the service manual which states that you can go up to 17 volts to charge the batteries to check open circuit voltage "IF" you disconnect it from the bike.

Seeing as how the alternator charges to 15V I thought 18V would be ok to keep the voltage up during cranking and not damage anything. Never even thought about the ecu's or other voltage sensitive components.

Since my first WOT failed using a smaller craftsman charger and shorter cranking times, I decided to up the ante with the larger charger and longer cranking.

Sorry Ionbeam, you are correct that I shouldn't have done it the way I did, I was just a little over zealous!

Posting this so that if anyone else reads this post with the same problem, they have more of a reference point for what not to do!

Latest posts