Sturgis 2015 - Unbelievable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
- Mike Sanborn

For more than 20 years I tried to make sure people coming to the Sturgis Rally had the time of their lives. Now, six people are dead as of the first official day of the 75th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Six families, instead of celebrating motorcycling, will now grieve on the anniversary of their loved one’s violent death. Sturgis will be a reminder of their most horrible day.

I watched five or six beginners on brand new Ultras trying to negotiate the hill I live on, this morning. Nobody dumped. But somebody will before the end of the week. This is not a typical rally folks. In more than 20 years of working the Sturgis Rally, I have never seen this many inexperienced and downright dumb motorcyclists.

People in cars, RVs, delivery trucks and pickups with toy haulers are simply no smarter.

If you’re a fat guy over 50 and you bought or rented a big motorcycle for your first motorcycling experience at the 75th Rally, you’re probably scared to death right now. I certainly would be. I’m scared to death driving a car, because I genuinely don’t want to kill people trying to enjoy their vacations.

I was THE statistic. Over 50. Never rode. I at least took the rider safety course. Bought a Heritage Softail. And, I never had time to ride it and become a skilled rider. So I sold it. And, you my friends, are safer because I’m not on the road with that beautiful machine.

It’s bad mojo to kill a tourist. You won’t be the most popular guy at the next Chamber mixer.

And, for those of you who chose this rally to learn to ride, either park it and have it shipped home, or at least dispense with that moronic machismo no-helmet baloney and cover your frickin' head.

Virtually everyone associated with this motorcycle rally has failed the tourists who are coming here. There is no excuse for the amount of construction, or the traffic jams, or the price gouging. And, that additional access to Sturgis via Pleasant Valley, probably doesn’t look so foolhardy now.

Six dead on Monday. What an utter tragedy. Those driving on four or more wheels, look around, slow down, look three times and then look 2 more. Those on two wheels, wear a helmet, long sleeves and leathers and stay off the booze. If you’re drinkin’ – walk, take one of the bus services, but for Christ’s sake don’t die because you were stupid on your vacation. A drunken motorcycle wreck is a bloody undignified way to go.

To my good friends on two wheels – and you know who you are – no matter how much you think you can handle this crowd, this traffic and these morons on a couple beers – you can’t – and not because you’re not experienced enough or skilled enough. It’s because there are too many others here and coming here who will be stupid, drunk or both. Stay at camp on the deck – you have more fun there anyway. It’s not safe this year. Not anywhere. And, I expect to see every one of you next year.

https://www.facebook.com/Pennington.county.so/photos/pcb.1032322233496534/1032317903496967/?type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=822193404560947&set=pcb.822193504560937&type=1 Rally Monday 2014

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-/11062684_822193414560946_8265998455699180139_n.jpg?oh=12f910686017c7466add53a0dbffd4d6&oe=56451DA5

Rally Monday 2015

https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpf1/v/t42.1790-2/11838191_916574341713281_1330879971_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjc5OSwicmxhIjo5NzJ9&rl=799&vabr=444&oh=5fefbafcd36275787b2fd82ab92a8eb0&oe=55C05B34 Highway 385 Traffic

Last edited by a moderator:
Witnessed it in 2005...once was enough for me.

Sad way to begin the week. Lets hope common sense prevails for the rest of the event.

--G

All that reminds me of a guy in NYC who wrote and sang a song back in the '60's that was called. "A $200 hippie suit". If you were a real hippie. You weren't wearing a $200 outfit. If you were wearing a $200 hippie outfit, you weren't a real hippie. Same shit. Different outfit.

Was there for the rally in 12. Glad I've seen it, but don't expect to do it again. Now if I'd gone when I was 30 it might be different.

The Sturgis/Spearfish area is a fantastic area to visit and ride. Great roads and many interesting events. I get there a few times a year. But, I'd rather have a red hot poker shoved up my a$$ than be in the middle of that group of posers.

In addition to the fatalities there have been 55 injury accidents.

I used to do Bike Week, some 30 yrs ago, on my Harley. Would stay all week at the Abate campground. In my 20's, I thought it was fun as hell to be around so many bikes. Now? I avoid all crowds. I don't like all of the people, and the associated din that goes with it. I guess I have become my father. :grin:

Same sentiments as above. I have been to the area once and not during the rally. Really got to enjoy the roads and scenery. Tragic for the families of those that lost their lives. Not good PR for the rally either.

I was there back in 2001 and will admit that I had a good time. Group I traveled with were all experienced riders accustomed to traveling together. At this point that's checked off my bucket list and I no longer desire to be a part of a crowd that big for anything. I'd love to return to the area someday though.

I was out there in 2007 I think it was for the weekend...swore I would never go back. To many inexperienced riders on technical roads. One of the people I was camping with the mother was riding a Sportster with her daughter on back, I was scared for the daughter after watching her mother ride. The next day I took some of my luggage off so the daughter could ride with me instead, she was much safer that way.

The Black Hills is an awesome place to ride but not during this time of year way to many idiots!!!

Pretty much. I've been through the area a few times. I've always made it a point to be there outside of 2 weeks on either side of the rally. There are still idiots in RV and cars gawking and driving 10 under (which is pretty slow in the areas where it's posted at 25 mph) but at least there's not a herd of unskilled, often drunk, riders packed into such a close area.

I just cannot understand the appeal of placing yourself on a motorcycle in a throng of other people (on bikes) many of whom have no earthly idea what they're doing. I ride so I'm largely away from the encumbrances of civilization and so I can ride again tomorrow. That's decidedly not the Sturgis Rally. I love the whole Black Hills area any other time of year.

Agreed with previous posts; if I want to sit in traffic, I can go right down the road to D.C. My best rides are far from crowds and traffic. There was a time years ago that I thought I wanted to do Sturgis - insufficient funds and time off then - thankfully I lost the desire when I saw what a mob scene it is.

I rode through Sturgis . in late September a couple years ago after the Ruben run on my way to Minnesota. All the big bars were closed and the town was nice and quiet. I was looking for another bike to wave at but I was the only one on 2 wheels-perfect!

I rode through Sturgis . in late September a couple years ago after the Ruben run on my way to Minnesota. All the big bars were closed and the town was nice and quiet. I was looking for another bike to wave at but I was the only one on 2 wheels-perfect!
Sounds like a great trip to Sturgis...

If I die of old age and have never been to Bike Week or the Sturgis Rally, I'll die a happy man. Never had the desire, even when I was in my 20's. I simply do not see the attraction. But I also hate clubbing, big parties and the State Fair.