Got my new Laam Seat today!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowcountry Joe

Reaction score
After 2 months, I have recieved my Seth Laam seat. Have not been on a ride yet, but it's finally here. Report to come later. If it rides as good as it looks, I'm set.

I'm considering ordering one this winter. Did it really take two months?? Hopefully he's not so busy when I pull the trigger in a few months.

Congrats, love mine!

Give it some break-in time and it'll ride as good as it looks.
punk.gif

--G

Fortunately for Seth Laam, LOTS of folks read these forums. A couple good reviews on the ST1300 forums, a couple on the Concours Forums, a few here, and suddenly the man had more business than he could handle. He is busier than a one legged man in a butt-kicking contest.

I have been saddened by some negative reports of his customer service lately but I do understand the reasons. I love my Laam Custom Seat.

I've had mine for almost 2 years and about 20k miles and am still loving it!

I'm not sure how much that wildfire in California may be affecting him right now. Latest reports on my area news here in PA indicate it's not terribly far from him and they may order evacuations of his area very soon. Let's all hope this isn't the case, not just for Seth, but for all of those people.

I've got a Laam on my FZ09 and my brother has one on his Triumph Thunderbird-both of us are happy with his work.

I'm waiting for him to call me any day now for the FZ-09 seat....

J Paul, I'd like to see pics of what he did with your seat, PM coming your way....

Joe - your going to love that seat, transforms the bike into ahhhh ----- Rideable !!

Seth did my seat this spring. I tried to make initial contact in February, finally heard back in March, was given a production at the end of April. My seat was delivered to Seth a couple days ahead of the production date, and was done and shipped back to me a little over 8 weeks later.

In hind sight, I probably picked the worst time of year to have this done. Was told at the time my seat shipped back that he was "catching up". Sounds like he's still running behind schedule.

Regarding the end result - I'm happy. The materials and workmanship are top notch. It looks good on the bike, and is a huge step up from stock comfort wise.

If I need another seat customized in the future, I wouldn't have any problem using Seth's services again. However, I would aim for a Nov/Dec production date to make any extended wait more tolerable.

I hope for Seth's sake that he can eventually get a handle on the production date / actual production timing. I really don't have a problem with it taking 3 months form the time I initially placed an order to when I received the finished product. I just wish the production date I was given would have been realistic enough to allow for a 1-2 week turn around instead of an 8 week turn around.

I love my Laam seat!! I've had mine for about 16,000 miles and I am happy with it.

I'm considering ordering one this winter. Did it really take two months?? Hopefully he's not so busy when I pull the trigger in a few months.
Yes, I shipped mine about June 2 or so via the USPS cheapest shipping method. Shipping it that way cost about $26. Use the smallest package you can on the trip out because as you probably know, package dimensions (in addition to weight) figure into the shipping cost. It arrived in Redding on June 8. So in round numbers, yes, it was two months in the making. But I knew that going in so I had no expectations of getting it sooner. He ships back via UPS and it cost me $31 to come all the way from the west coast to the east cost, so he has a better rate with UPS than I can get. UPS wanted $60 to ship the box out to Seth so that's why I decided to use the USPS.

This is his busiest time of the year, so ordering in the off-season is a smarter thing to do. When I saw Redding California on my caller ID, I answered the phone "I bet this is Seth?" and he replied "It sure is, the most hated man in motorcycling!". We laughed and then had a great conversation.

I asked Seth if he had any helpers in the shop and he said no. He is the ONLY person that touches these seats. He cuts out all of the patterns, forms all of the underlayments, stitches it all, and assembles it all, so he's a one-man show.

He told me it was guaranteed pretty much forever so if I ever had any issues or needed any adjustments to just contact him with my needs.

He is working 12 to 18 hour days according to the female that answers email for him. So it appears he's trying his best to get the seats back to his customers as quickly as he can.

I have been saddened by some negative reports of his customer service lately but I do understand the reasons. I love my Laam Custom Seat.
I am sure it's just because he is so slammed with business right now. There are likely some customers out there with unrealistic expectations of "drop everything and tend to me right now Seth" customer service expectations. Some folks just need more stroking than others.

I am sure it's just because he is so slammed with business right now. There are likely some customers out there with unrealistic expectations of "drop everything and tend to me right now Seth" customer service expectations. Some folks just need more stroking than others.
+1 We live in an age of "must have it NOW". My dealings with Seth were very pleasant...I imagine him chatting on the phone with me for almost 30 minutes about riding stuff probably didn't help the backup at the time. ;)

+1 We live in an age of "must have it NOW". My dealings with Seth were very pleasant...I imagine him chatting on the phone with me for almost 30 minutes about riding stuff probably didn't help the backup at the time.
wink.png
But it probably helped give him a mental health break...

Please understand, I am his biggest fan and staunchest supporter. Seth has built 3 seats for me and has always done exactly what he said he would, when he said he would. The fact that he is this busy shows the quality of his work.

I would almost consider the man a friend though we have never met. One day I hope to ride out there in person and thank him for his excellent work.

Two months seems to be the current wait time because I got an email last week saying that my seat will be on the bench by this Friday. I mailed the spare seat I had just purchased to Seth almost exactly 2 months ago. Can't wait to try it out soon! :yahoo:

I ordered my Laam seat on July 14.

On July 15, I got email confirming my order and assigning a build date of August 11

On August 3, I emailed Laam to let them know I was shipping my seat the next day and to remind them that I needed it back no later than Sept 1 to prepare for my upcoming tour. That day I got a reply confirming my expectations.

On August 4, I shipped my seats to Laam and they were received on August 10.

On August 19, Seth called me to discuss particulars on my seat. He spent 15 minutes on the phone getting every single detail regarding what I wanted my seat to be like. He did this for my Gen 1 seat a few years ago. He promised a tracking number before close of business that day. At 7 pm PST, I got my tracking number. My seat should arrive her August 26.

So from day 1 - it looks like it will be about 6 weeks, only about 3 weeks without my seat, and of those 3 weeks, only 9 days at the factory.

He's getting much better. Regardless, it's worth the wait.

Latest posts