Avon Storm 3D XM - Mileage Report in last post (Edit)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Avon Tyres Introduces 15,000-Mile Limited Treadwear Warranty For Cobra And Storm 3D X-M
15K Mile Warranty
Avon Tyres announced today a new 15,000-mile (24,000-kilometer) limited treadwear warranty program covering the popular Cobra touring and Storm 3D X-M sport touring tire lines.
We develop industry-leading products, and stand behind them with great warranties like the new treadwear warranty program for the Cobra and Storm 3D X-M, said Ken Warner, Vice President of Marketing for Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America.
If the tread wears to the treadwear indicators within the first 15,000 miles of normal use, the company will award a credit adjustment in the form of a prepaid card for the unused mileage. Available on tires purchased in the U.S. and Canada, the warranty covers the tire for a maximum of two years from the date of purchase.
Certain terms and conditions apply. The treadwear warranty applies to the original purchaser only when installed by a retail motorcycle dealership, and registered within 10 days of the original purchase. Incorrect inflation, off-road use, racing, sidecar application, dyno testing and deliberate or malicious damage will invalidate the warranty.
For warranty details, visit https://www.avonmoto.com/mileage-warranty.

I have a set of Pirelli Angel GTs in the garage, but got a great deal on a set of these new Avon Storm 3 XMs in Sturgis.

They are on the Gray Ghost now and I will report how the perform and wear as Festar and I leave for the West Coast next Wednesday. Beartooth, Chief Joseph, Lolo, etc.... Should be a good test. Starting out at 41# Front, 42# Rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a 2 year warranty.

I'm not sure about you guys but I would be hard pressed to put 12,000 km / year on my tires!

Interesting, but (for me) the additional cost to have the tires installed by a retail motorcycle dealership would far outweigh any possible savings in the event that I only managed three quarters of the "guarantee". Not to mention that fact that the original tires would likely also have to be purchased at the dealership that did the installation; probably at a premium price. That said, I would like to see if other manufacturers follow suit and if it pushes the industry into making longer-lived tires.

I was thinking along the same lines as RossKean. Many dealerships, at least in my area, will only mount tires they sell which eliminates the ability to purchase online at any significant discount. Add to that dealership labor costs and I don't see any bargain for me in this deal. Last 2 sets of Michelin PR2s lasted 14k and 13k respectively, bought at a discount and mounted by a forum member at a local tech day.

Yeah... no. Being hostage to a dealership to do the mounting on the tires to begin with, and then again for the replacement is a total deal breaker. Plus the warranty is pro-rated, so if you got anything it would be a percentage of the replacement tire, but not the labor of course. It's far cheaper to just keep buying tires and slapping them on myself.

I'm also guessing that any tire that could actually deliver 15k miles on the rear of an FJR would have to be a very hard compound all over (not just the center). On BT023GT and PR2's I never wear out the center, but the sides are gone in ~ 9k miles from normal mixed 2-up, non-hoon riding.

Just noticed this:

The X-M version will deliver 15%-20% extra mileage compared to the current Storm range
What do people get on the regular storms? I doubt that adding 20% will put you at 15k miles.

Agree with Ross and Chuck, but I am interested in learning what John thinks about the tire, and the mileage he actually gets.

Edit - not so fast, Pants. I just found 2 sources for a set of Storm 3D XM's for our bike at $250.00 shipped. That is $25.00 cheaper than the best price I found for a set of PR2s. Cyclegear would charge me $50.00 a piece to mount them, but my tire dude would charge me $15.00 a piece to mount the PR2s. So I'd be out the door at $45.00 over the cost of the Michelins.

If I could actually get 15K out of the rear, that would be 75% more mileage than what I am accustomed to on the PR2 (8,500 miles), or a savings of about $110.00. (PR2 cost is $151.00)

If I could actually get 15K out of the front, that would be 25% more mileage than what I am accustomed to on the PR2 (12,000 miles), or a saving of about $30.00 (PR2 cost is $118.00).

So for a cost of $45.00, I'm saving $140.00 - or about $95.00 net savings on a set of tires.

If I went this route over a longer term (several sets of tires), then I could realize more savings because I'm getting tires mounted less frequently.

Hmmmmmm.....

(I can't help it - my friends call me cheap - I prefer "frugal")

John - please report on your thoughts for the performance of this tire (hopefully compared to the Michelin)

I don't want the whole industry to be looking at longer life as the measure of performance solely...other we will all end up having hard, slippery shinko ravens with no grip. They will last forever, or until you fall down, whichever comes first.

I like the industry mix right now...

I don't want the whole industry to be looking at longer life as the measure of performance solely...other we will all end up having hard, slippery shinko ravens with no grip. They will last forever, or until you fall down, whichever comes first.
I like the industry mix right now...
I agree, but...

There are some new(er) tire compounds that retain (or improve) the "stick", are decent in the rain and last longer than previous versions. Addition of more silica to the compound is one thing that is being done. I'm sure there are a bunch of other changes in compounds and/or thermal treatment that could improve longevity without sacrificing performance.

I suspect the major manufacturers have some tricks up their sleeves that they won't release until there is a (competitive) reason to do so. It is NOT in their best interest to produce a very long-lived performance tire unless they have to in order to maintain market share.

Tire wear and ultimate performance are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

My XD lasted just shy of 6k miles. The front just shy of 7k. Moderate riding, on the way to Spearfish and back. No way 15k. No way. Avon's gonna lose their shirt on this one.

Brilliant marketing. By the time they wear out enough to to use the warranty, the dealer fees will make it cost prohibitive. Or at least make it close enough that it ain't worth the hassle.

They aren't giving you a new set, just an adjusted payment. So for $30 or whatever, most won't take advantage of it.

Probably gotta have the tread depth measures by a dealer as well.

My XD lasted just shy of 6k miles. The front just shy of 7k. Moderate riding, on the way to Spearfish and back. No way 15k. No way. Avon's gonna lose their shirt on this one.
Agreed ! If I'm going through tires at 8k in less then two years and have a good dealer service then this seems very enticing.

Depending on how they 'pro-rate' it could be a great value.

Remember car tires are sold along the same line, with restrictions IE: must rotate every 5k ,etc. and if you ever had to use it they 'pro-rate' and your stuck with what they approve.

Still it sounds like it would be worth it to me.

Its marketing and not much else. With the warranty being prorated and the need for dealer installation (and probably purchase), I don't think they will be paying out much. I'm sure their guidelines for proper use will be able to weed out most of the abusers.

Still, its an interesting move...

Agree with Ross and Chuck, but I am interested in learning what John thinks about the tire, and the mileage he actually gets.
Edit - not so fast, Pants. I just found 2 sources for a set of Storm 3D XM's for our bike at $250.00 shipped. That is $25.00 cheaper than the best price I found for a set of PR2s. Cyclegear would charge me $50.00 a piece to mount them, but my tire dude would charge me $15.00 a piece to mount the PR2s. So I'd be out the door at $45.00 over the cost of the Michelins.

If I could actually get 15K out of the rear, that would be 75% more mileage than what I am accustomed to on the PR2 (8,500 miles), or a savings of about $110.00. (PR2 cost is $151.00)

If I could actually get 15K out of the front, that would be 25% more mileage than what I am accustomed to on the PR2 (12,000 miles), or a saving of about $30.00 (PR2 cost is $118.00).

So for a cost of $45.00, I'm saving $140.00 - or about $95.00 net savings on a set of tires.

If I went this route over a longer term (several sets of tires), then I could realize more savings because I'm getting tires mounted less frequently.

Hmmmmmm.....

(I can't help it - my friends call me cheap - I prefer "frugal")

John - please report on your thoughts for the performance of this tire (hopefully compared to the Michelin)
Don't forget to add shipping cost for the warranty evaluation. According to the rule #4, "Eligible Tire is returned to Avon Tyres North America for adjustment". Tack on about $30.

Went to the Avon website to read in it's entirety. It spells out " mounted by a motorcycle dealership" which would take Cycle Gear out of the equation as they are only a parts and accessories store. Food for thought...

Well, after 100 miles I've got to say I am glad the Darkside is in the rear view mirror.

Had to relearn how to ride, but after a spirited back road trip into Sturgis this morning these tires are scrubbed in and ready for next week's trip. 1" safety strips still on the rear, we'll have to work on that once the pirates leave town.

As the Avon Representative explained it to me, if you don't get 15K by the time the wear indicators show, you purchase another Avon Storm 3 XD and send your old tire to Avon, the reimburse you for the unattained mileage and the shipping cost.

They are selling the tires here and they are being mounted by an independent shop on premises and the rep, I have his # and email, tells me once registered the warranty is good. You should be able to buy online and have mounted and still get Warranty.