Oil Change Problem - Old Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
I got around to changing my oil and had the new right oil and filter (or so I thought). I drained the oil and removed the filter, and when I tried to install the filter, I had the wrong one. (Verified I picked up the wrong one).

I don't know why I had it my head that I needed to get the bike going and no other way to do it (brain fart?), so I installed the old filter again and then filled with oil.

The filter has around 6K miles on it. I'll be riding city miles, back and forth to work, about 10 miles each way.

Am I good with this filter for another 4K miles or should I swap it out?

Opinions?
Thanks.

UK handbook says change the oil every 6000 miles, filter every 12000 miles. You won't have any problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Up to you, the old filter will be ok for another 4K miles, BUT if you think it be better to put on a new one, just swap it...all you have replace is the

oil that came out with the old filter.

I wouldn't worry about it. Only supposed to change the filter every other change anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to change my oil and not change the filter. I know it's stupid, but I can't help it.

I change my filter also. I know I don't have to, but I cant help it either. It just makes me feel better, and it's not expensive. BUT, if I had to leave the filter, I'd be ok with it.

Ride more...worry less. You'll be just fine as you are until your next oil change.

I only change the filter every other oil change. Good enought for the engineers to write it up that way in the service rec.'s, good enough for me....

If it's good enough for Spud, it's good enough for me!
punk.gif

Just did the deed, 5k on the oil and 10k on the filter... so I changed them both.

Roger, your earth friendly act just helped a polar bear drift on a little piece of ice one more day.