Fork Oil Change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

900gc

Reaction score
Changed the fork oil today after 24k miles since getting the forks rebuilt and upgraded with GoldValves and .95 springs. Stinky gray gaak is what came out. Drained well, refilled with Yammy OEM oil and went for a spin on bumpy local roads I ride daily to do a before and after comparo. Very noticeable increase in compliance. I was expecting a very subtle change but was surprised at how well the fork felt with the new oil.

Fresh fork oil is one of those maintenance items that some time gets put off too long or ignored completely by many. It shouldn't be though since it's really not a hard job to do yourself. The degradation in ride quality happens so slow over a long period of time that you don't even notice.

Lesson learned, my new change interval will be around 12-15k from here on.
graduated.gif

I ended up dumping ~6,000 mile old fork oil while doing some suspension upgrades and found that it too was completely filthy.

Annual change for me at 10 - 12K miles. Yup, most definitely can feel improved fork action with fresh fluid.

I also make it a habit to pop out dust seals and "seal-mate" the oil seals when I change fluid. Surprised at the amount of gunk that comes out.

YMMV

--G

I also like to change fork oil annually. The last few years the FJR does not see that many miles during the riding season since I have been spending seat time with the dirt bike.

This is the third riding season since we did the bushings and I'm thinking I might rebuild the forks this winter.

Most of what you see is from the bushings. I change them every other year and oil annually. Do a good flush with ATF or similar to get all the settled crud out.

I really need to learn how to do this, but trepidation is an enemy of mine.

I'm hoping this is something I can learn to do at the fall tech day.
Odds on we'll do a couple fork rebuilds this fall. Changing the fluid is a snap!

--G
Excellent!
Yeah --G is one of the local experts in the Pac NW. It is important to change the fork oil in the FJR annually. On the Gen II's teflon on the fork bushings gives way and pollutes the oil so changing it frequently is the only solution to keep the system clean. Fork oil changes on the FJR are relatively easy.

Service manual. I doubt anyone has done a "how to" (yet) on a '15 ES. I doubt that a simple oil change would be very difficult. If the owner's manual doesn't have all of the specifications you will have to use the FSM. I don't think I would tackle the ES without the manual, anyway.

You could also buy item 53, the seal kit instead of individual items 7 & 8..... FYI. Keep in mind you'll need a special tool to seat the middle bushings item 6.

Latest posts