Drain Coolant on Gen 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenham

Reaction score
I have searched for a thread that would explain where the coolant system drain is exactly. While searching I read 1,000 opinions about blow jobs, distilled vs purified water. Honda or Prestone ...

I'm a KISS kind of guy. I just want to change what I am sure is 10 yr coolant on 15k miles of riding from a previous owner. So I would like to drain what's in there, and refill with Prestone Premix.

I think the radiator fill cap is under the A Dash Panel

I Think the over flow in under the Rt side cowling

What I don't know is where is the drain point for the radiator/engine?

Thanks again

Mike

Take a look at the water pump on the RH side of the engine. The lowest (hex head) small bolt has a copper washer under it...yup, that's the system drain. Be careful when you pull the bolt. With the radiator cap off coolant will shoot across the room, so be prepared!

--G

I also have a 60 cc syringe with a catheter tip. I can push some clear tube on that and sneak some additional coolant into the overflow to top it off. Use the aluminum foil trick like you do on an oil change as well.

Simply empty the antifreeze and refill the system with new.Take out the Lt and Rt side cowlings and the left rear dash panel with the fuse block on move it a bit on the side.Then you can remove the radiator fill cap.With a small funnel and a small hose attached on the funnel you can easy refill the system.

This link:http:https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=43 probably will help you,but ''for me'' don't do a flush in the system.Some times,some air bubbles remain in the system especially in the choke plunger mechanism and probably you will have a problem with the idle and the engine operation until these bubbles go out.

Also,unscrew the two bolts of the over flow plastic tank and turn it over to empty the coolant from it,this is the easiest way to do that.

When you will refill the system and the over flow tank,warm up the engine until the four bars,then you will hear the fan,let the fan to do it's job and when it stops turn off the engine.Let it cool for an hour or so until you see about one bar or and no bar in the display,then open the fill cap again and check if it need more coolant.Also check and the level in the overflow tank.That's it.

Last i used a propylene glycol coolant and i noticed that the engine in my Gen1 like yours runs cooler.It is a great coolant i believe and has the property that it doesn't damage the paint or anything else on the bike.I use this coolant: https://www.belray.com/bel-ray-moto-chill-racing-coolant

Last edited by a moderator:
If you add coolant slowly, i.e., so not to block escaping air, you will likely have less air bubbles in the system. Then I fill the overflow to a hair above the max line. After a hot cold cycle, coolant will be drawn in to replace air. Recheck overflow level after a couple of cycles.

I wouldn't do a flush, however might want to remove the left lower fairing to remove and clean out the overflow reservoir of that 10 year old stuff and any sediment.

Dang it! I was riding in Apex/Cary/Raleighwood yesterday and would have gladly stopped by with advice for a cuppajoe and some HoHo's.

Cut the hose that goes to the water pump, then wrap it with duct tape before refilling.

(Thought I'd post something stupid, since the question's been answered for real, and I haven't done stupid in...... several days!)

Dang it! I was riding in Apex/Cary/Raleighwood yesterday and would have gladly stopped by with advice for a cuppajoe and some HoHo's.
Damn....

I work in Apex, and have been working on a ride I call the Raleigh Ring. 175 miles around Raleigh without any major roads... Would love to meet and ride some..

Damn....
I work in Apex, and have been working on a ride I call the Raleigh Ring. 175 miles around Raleigh without any major roads... Would love to meet and ride some..
A couple yrs ago I decided to ride with a purpose rather than just ride solo the same roads over and over. The goal I set was to visit all of NC's state parks, recreation areas, state forests, etc. Sunday was a loop to visit Jordan Lake Rec Area and Educational Forest, Hemlock Bluffs Natural Preserve, William B. Umstead State Park and Falls Lake State Rec Area, about 200 leisurely miles. I have pics of 30 with 11 or so known places still to go.

I decided to ride with a purpose rather than just ride solo the same roads over and over.
I hear that!
smile.png

DONE !!!!

Thanks to all that gave such good hints and tips. None more appreciated than the "build a deflector" After heating up the engine a little that stuff shot out of the drain hole like a geyser. But thanks to you guys a simple cardboard flap kept that stuff in the bucket and not all over the garage ;)

So with that I am done with the fluid changes on a low mileage 05'

Oil

Coolant

Rear end

Splines

Brakes

** and even a battery**

Thanks to all those with experience for sharing on here what you know/learned

DONE !!!!
Thanks to all that gave such good hints and tips. None more appreciated than the "build a deflector" After heating up the engine a little that stuff shot out of the drain hole like a geyser. But thanks to you guys a simple cardboard flap kept that stuff in the bucket and not all over the garage
wink.png

So with that I am done with the fluid changes on a low mileage 05'

Oil

Coolant

Rear end

Splines

Brakes

** and even a battery**

Thanks to all those with experience for sharing on here what you know/learned
Uh...clutch? Do you replace the clutch fluid?