Cal Scientific large touring windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
I have a regular Cal Scientific shield. Even though its better than the oem shield, I'm still getting more side buffeting than I like. I'm considering their large touring shield. Anyone have one? what do you think?

I started with a large Cal Sci and ended up having Marc at the factory cut it down to a medium which ended the lack of airflow I'd experienced with the large. YMMV depending on where you like air to hit you, inseam, seat configuration etc. I'm 6'1", 36" inseam, had a Rick Mayer seat with about an 1" over stock height on a Gen I. Good luck traveling down the endless road in search of unobtainum windscreen Nirvana.

I have one.... I am 6 2 (long waited) meaning I have a longer torso than legs. I bought the biggest Cal Sci I could get. With a stock seat I see look through the top 2" of the shield. After putting on about 1,000 miles I can say the following

1. It's BIG

2. It's rather ugly

3. It does helps move air around you.

4. In the full extended position you get a pretty good "back draft" meaning the air rolls over the top and back toward your back towards the windshield.

5. When raining and fully extended, the backside of the windscreen and YOU get soaked

6. On windy days and it high turbulence (around trucks on the highway) it really moves around. I wonder if the screws will break off.

For me it works well and I am glad I have it. We'll see how it keeps the cold off of me.

On windy days and it high turbulence (around trucks on the highway) it really moves around. I wonder if the screws will break off.
My FJR is the worst bike of the many I have had for this. Seems strange for such a heavy bike.

I have the large Cee Bailys screen. While I found the stock on the 15 better than the GENll the CB is awesome.

I have the large Cee Bailys screen. While I found the stock on the 15 better than the GENll the CB is awesome.
+1. have the dark tint 21" Cee baileys on my 2015ES. Looks awesome and provides ample protection. I never look thru the screen anyway. Rain or shine.

I have the Large Cal Sci windshield. It did a great job keeping the wind off. Almost too good. In fact I just installed a Cee Baileys reverse flip. Took it for a ride this weekend and that is what I was looking for - flexibility. With it down I get plenty of air flow. With it up I can block some air flow - not as much as the Cal Sci but enough. Being a texas rider I need lots of options and I don't want to trade shields on an off all of the time. I think the CB is the one for me. I guess that I may have an large Cal Sci I don't need.

Joe