600 Mile Initial Service Screw Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnspot

Who Me?
Reaction score
For those who follow along in the Facebook FJR group, this is old news, but I wanted to share it to the collective here.

This past weekend, I took my '15 back to the dealer I bought it from (Capital Powersports, Wake Forest) for its 600 mile initial service. I could have easily done the service myself, but opted to document an initial dealer service for the foundation of my bike's history. The staff and mechanics are a likable bunch and a few seem to have a genuine interest in FJRs and sport touring in general.

Anyway, after some time, my bike emerged from the garage and appeared to be ready to go. I asked the service writer if it's all set and he says, "Yep, but there's a problem." He then proceeds to show me a dent and chip in my fuel tank from where the mechanic dropped a 36mm socket after torquing the steering nut!!!

IMG_3740-L.jpg

The dent/chip is just in front of the gas cap and right along the center "ridging" effect of the paint. The above photo doesn't really show it well, but there's another small chip closer to the front where the other end of the socket hit.

Here's a better photo I took this morning; the dent is pretty apparent.

IMG_3748-L.jpg

After the service writer apologized, the mechanic came out and explained what happened and then apologized. Nobody had an answer as to why he was working above the tank without something covering the tank...something I think most would agree is common sense. The incident was recorded on the service ticket and I have a copy showing as much.

The long and short of it is that they say they'll make this right, whether it be a new tank or a fix/re-paint. They think it'll require a new tank and I agree...a fix/repaint probably wont' be able to match up with the ridge effect that the rest of the tank has along the middle. I'll find out this afternoon how they're going to make this right and how long it'll take.

Yes, I was extremely pissed, but maintained calm while making my concerns apparent. It's a friggin' two week old bike, but then again, not much I can do about it after the fact except push hard for the correct fix now. If the bike's going to collects dents and scratches, they'll be of my own making from long, hard use.
wink.png

As for the service itself, it appears that they followed the FSM and checked everything, from looking at the invoice...that part I'm pleased with.

I'll update as I learn more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Shtuff happens.

I bet they make it right.

*edit*

But dadgum, it looks like they dropped it from 10 feet up!

Honest mistake, honest dealer; if they fix it (to your standards; new in this case) other than your time/heartache, probably the best you could hope for.

*edit*But dadgum, it looks like they dropped it from 10 feet up!
My first thought as well.
And agree, go for the new tank. Sounds like they are making it right. Stuff happens, it's how it's handled that really matters in the end that makes a dealer either one of the good ones or one of the bad ones. Sounds like maybe you have a good one there.

Agreed, the tank should have been protected, sounds like someone was in a hurry. Gonna be an expensive lesson for someone at that dealership...

I don't think there's a lot to complain about here. I once brought a car in to the dealership for some service and repairs, and when it was returned to me there was a 3" long gouge in one of the dash panels in the interior.

To make a long story short, the dealership wouldn't take responsibility for the issue, and I had to dispute the credit card charge for the service to recoup enough money to replace that part.

This dealer has acknowledged the issue in person and in writing, and it certainly seems likely that you'll end up with a new tank!

That steering head nut torque job is evil! When the shop mech did mine, the wrench slipped and put a gouge in the paint on the instrument cluster. They apologized profusely, and offered a replacement or repaint. Since there was no apparent structural damage, I opted for the repaint.

It's just one of the reasons I prefer to do my own work whenever possible, but in this case I did not have the appropriate tools.

Hey - if they torqued your pumpkin drain plug, you are light years ahead of me!!! JSNS
Heh, now that you mention it (and I recall reading your story), I'm going to have to go out to the parking lot and double check mine. ;)

That steering head nut torque job is evil! When the shop mech did mine, the wrench slipped and put a gouge in the paint on the instrument cluster. They apologized profusely, and offered a replacement or repaint. Since there was no apparent structural damage, I opted for the repaint.
It's just one of the reasons I prefer to do my own work whenever possible, but in this case I did not have the appropriate tools.
Yea, they're a bitch. On my '07, I worked on it many times...but on the same token, I always protected the tank with a towel and worked slow...that nut isn't very tall and is easily marred. The dash never got involved luckily.

If you get a new tank, hopefully they'll let you keep the dented one. I bet you could sell it on here pretty quick as some have cut and welded stock tanks to 'frankentank' them and add extra capacity.

I'll bet you looked like your avater when you found out. They fessed up and will make it right, sounds like my kind of dealer. Ride more worry less.

Update: A new tank is on order and they'll give me a buzz when it arrives. Nice.

If you get a new tank, hopefully they'll let you keep the dented one. I bet you could sell it on here pretty quick as some have cut and welded stock tanks to 'frankentank' them and add extra capacity.
Yea, the Frankentank folks would love it. :D