For those who change tires at home?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerider

Reaction score
Hello all, this last weekend, I replaced the tires for the 1st time on my 2014A which has 8500 miles.

I have a Nomar classic tire changer and Nomar balancer at home (plus all their goodies like yellow thing, bead holder etc...). I have changed about 8 sets of tires since I bought the NoMar, from Suzuki Bandit 1200 to Honda CBR-1100XX to BMW 1200GS (they all used the same size 180/55ZR17 as FJR) and I never had as much trouble as changing the FJR tires! I wonder what you experiences are?

I had a very hard time removing the stock BT tires (even with the help of spoons) and I had a very hard time installing the Michelin Pilot Road 2 (non GT), also with the help of spoon in addition to the NoMar, which were the same brand same model that I always used on the Blackbird and BMW.

Are there any tricks that I'm not aware of? I did the same way as I always did the previous 8 times and this is the 1st time I almost had to give up!

If anybody around Los Angeles knows how to use NoMar and likes to change tires, you are welcome to use mine and I'll watch to see how you do it :)

Thank you all for your inputs!

mike-

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of lube and makes sure the beads are in the well on the rim. It's been my experience that if your having a hard time, its always one of those two things.

(Unless you can't get the bead to seat, then bring it to a tire shop and have them use a Bazooka BeadBlaster on it. Don't ask how I know.)

Bungie has it right... You might try putting a wooden clamp on the side opposite to where you're working to help get the bead into the rim well. Collapsing the other side of the tire will give you more flexibility....

Get out your video that NoMar sent you. I was surprised at the great tips I had forgotten. Little things like where to apply the lube paste and even how to hold the NoMar bar make a big difference.

I don't have a NoMar. Coats 220 instead. I use Pledge Lemon Clean for lube. Both sides of both beads. It works great. No NoMar helper tools, so I use a tie-down ratchet with a length of the tie-down webbing going around the tire and rim to hold the beads tight into the middle of the rim. Most pop right off, and on.

Leave the new ones out in the sun for a while before putting them on. That softens them up a bit.

Thank you all!

Yes, I did refresh my memory by watching the NoMar video again before I started. I never had to warm up the tires before so I didn't this time. Yersterday's temperature was mid 80s. Thanks for the tip. I will get them warm next time. It'll be easy here in SoCal by letting them sit in the sun :)

I did use plenty of lube but that didn't help.

I found that seating the beads were alway the easiest part for me. Crank up the air compressor and pop-pop.

Thanks again!

Reviewing videos from the neenernet, lube it where they say, and warm tires.

Even I am now able to change tires. And if I can do it...

I'd love a no-mar, but use an HF changer. Changing tires on FJR wheels seemed about as hard as any other tire I've changed.

As for the lube, I use dish detergent and water, but I leave that work to my assistant.

JakobTire3.jpg

I'd love a no-mar, but use an HF changer. Changing tires on FJR wheels seemed about as hard as any other tire I've changed.
As for the lube, I use dish detergent and water, but I leave that work to my assistant.

JakobTire3.jpg
Does your assistant install shocks, too?

Just curious...

He doesn't work on forks, if that's what you are asking. Though after last time I may be willing to let him.
biggrin.png
He did install my clutch.

Heat! Lots of fucking heat! Sun works best. I have all of the goodies for changing, but I let the sun dictate when I do tire mounting.

Heat! Lots of fucking heat! Sun works best. I have all of the goodies for changing, but I let the sun dictate when I do tire mounting.
Yep, I usually end up changing in the summer in Texas. No problem finding heat. The sweat helps lube the tires too.
biggrin.png

Boy I wish I could find a NoMar in good shape for about $250.00. I get friend to do my tires for $20.00 a piece. At $750.00, it's just not worth buying the equipment now.

I have the cycle hill changer made by no mar. I have changed a good bit of tires with it and the best thing ive found is to have a second set of hands. Makes all the difference.

I have a Cycle Hill changer too. Extra hands are great. I kept having issues with the wheel popping out of the clamps so I added a 1/2" all-thread center screw that protrudes thru the axle hole and a nut to hold it down solid. 18" irons and a rich dawn soap solution helps a lot as well.

I'm really liking my No Mar with all the upgrades. When Brant was here, he gave me some pointers on getting the tire off the rim. That helped.

As far as getting them on? I strap the spoke to the frame underneath. Then the rim can't rotate around. Then I use lube on the inside of the tire, and get some help if I can't keep the tire in the trough. So far, they have gone on easily. My first one was a bear, but after getting some technique down, the last couple I did popped right on

I can take my wheels into my Yamaha dealer and he charges me $25 to mount the tires that I didn't buy there. I just like the ability to change tires whenever I want and not have to wait for someone to be open...And I got a smoking deal on a great machine.

I've had my NoMar about 5 years now and wish I'd bought one sooner. With five bikes in the stable now it's pretty much paid for itself. The hardest tires to mount so far have been the B'stones. They have a very stiff carcass and the last BT023 I mounted was an absolute bear to get on. Michelins and others have not really caused any issues. I just bought two sets of BT030s cause they were on sale, not looking forward to mounting the rear though. One of the biggest aids is giving yourself as much "slack" in the tire as possible by keeping the lower edge up in the groove that runs around the inside center of the rim. When I mount a stiff tire I stop every couple of inches and adjust the lower edge. Letting them sit in the sun for an hour ahead of time is also a good idea.

I'm in Carlsbad, north of San Diego, if you want to come down next time I'm changing a tire, you are welcome to stop by. Might be a little while though, just refreshed the FJR with a PR4.

Wish I had a NoMar, but get by with a HF that works pretty well modded with Mojo parts. I've added the Nomar extra hands and yellow thing to the tool arsenal too, so we've yet to be defeated with any tires, including DS...not counting GW! I do all my vehicle tires as well, saved a bundle with Tire Rack.

Anywho...

I've been adding one extra step for a while that has helped immensely. I lube the face of the yellow thing [with NoMar paste] where it contacts the tire / bead. Doing this, allows you to push the tire / bead at the yellow thing further into the drop center easier for starting. This is especially critical for stiff tires like the 'stones. As you work your way around the tire, continue pushing the tire into the center and you end up with plenty of room to finish it off.

--G

Latest posts