Big Trunk, Little Trunk, Rack, Bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay in Ohio

Reaction score
I currently have a BIG Givi trunk (55 liter?). I am spoiled to have that much cargo space, so now I don't want to be without it.

I have a couple questions, though:

1. Why are all the trunks so high/tall? I realize they should be "helmet size" (mine holds 2), but are there any that are designed with a lower profile? Or do they like to line them up with the rider for aerodynamics, rather than have them hanging out the sides?

2. Is there a wide rack + soft bag option for the FJR to replace the large trunk? So far, I am not seeing a rack that would hold something like the 80 liter Givi waterproof bag, for example.

It would seem that a wider, lower bag/case that overhangs the side cases would be a nice fit (but maybe it catches too much air?).

Thanks,

-J

Some folks use something like this...
box%20FYYFF%20aft_zpsyo6a1hu9.jpg

Some people have put big Yellow waterproof duffles crosswise on the pillion seat and above the sidebags.
Thanks. This I have seen, and I like it, but I would like to maintain the passenger spot.

Some folks use something like this...
box%20FYYFF%20aft_zpsyo6a1hu9.jpg
GO JACKETS! THWG!

Before I asked my question I was already thinking I am going to have to improvise something. Maybe a rack of some sort to carry a common dry bag. Maybe someone has done something similar.

Thanks,

-J

I always have my Shad 42 liter trunk on the bike...I've gotten so used to it being there, that the bike just doesn't look right without it. I do also use an Ortlieb Large Dry bag, and Rok Straps on the back seat, to hold all of my camping gear when needed.

Some people have put big Yellow waterproof duffles crosswise on the pillion seat and above the sidebags.
Thanks. This I have seen, and I like it, but I would like to maintain the passenger spot.
I've replaced my stock luggage rack with a passenger backrest/luggage rack combo offered by Garauld TechWorks LLC (Gary) on this forum. Allows for both passenger comfort/safely and flexible carriage of large duffles. He makes stuff to order, but no doubt there are other such solutions.

I must be missing something, but why do people carry those big ungainly trunks just to hold two FF helmets? I'd think helmet locks or a cable would do for helmet storage while having a bite to eat or something. When I ride to work, I like to take my helmet, jacket and gloves inside my office with me, so if it is hot or cold outside, my gear is the same temp as where I am at, so I'm not donning hot/cold gear. I'm experimenting with removing the hard bags, and just using a tank bank, and a tail bag if I need it, only mounting the hard cases for overnighters.

I like my E55 and would never go back to a small case or no top case. I've never put a helmet in it. Between a pack or bag that won't fit in a side case and riding gear, it is quite rare that I don't have a use for the top case. I find zero aerodynamic difference with or without the case (no adverse affects at FJR nominal speed) and only a minimal difference in feel/handling with and without the case. If I didn't run givi, I'd probably run a pelican case. But they're pretty heavy for the storage they provide.

Extra storage is nice, but having your gear at waist level in a top-opening case is priceless. Much more convenient for the daily rider or long distance rider than using side cases. I use my side cases for infrequently used gear. My top case is for daily gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were out on a tour last year and my brother-in-law had borrowed one of those big Moto-Fiz duffle-type bags and bungied it to the stock (small) rear rack on his FJR. It was soon drooping over the sides and obscuring his signal lights. We had stopped at a grocery store to ponder the problem and I spied a grocery cart "wrecking yard" behind the building. We soon "sourced" a rack - that piece that moves back and forth where the child sits - and with a few zip ties - voila! - we had an expanded luggage carrier that worked wonderfully with the big soft bag. That rack still resides on the rear of that bike, still in use for the same purpose. Yeah, it's hillbilly but function before form, eh? And cheap. In fact, we were facing a similar problem with the V-Strom recently and I have decided I will visit a local used appliance store to see if I can scavenge a similar rack from a small refrigerator or oven - maybe in nickel or chrome?! Maybe fancier fasteners than zip ties? I ain't proud. Besides, it's a guaranteed conversation starter.

I'm going thru this right now. 1 up and the three OEM cases have plenty of room for both tenting and hammock.

But 2 up camping and everything gets filled fast without strapping anything else on the bike.

I have a Pelican 1600 that I used on another bike and am making it to fit the FJR once I get a Givi rack and plate to mount it too.

The pelican has footman loops all over the top to strap stuff too, brackets on the sides to hold MSR fuel bottles or water bottles.

I have T rails on the bottom that slide out to make a shelf.

I also have hardware on the bottom that I can screw in legs so now it becomes a camping table, cooking top.

It'll make my FJR much more versatile for the camping trips I take.

Now we're getting a few ideas.

I have the trunk usually for running my daughter around town for school or sports. Books and backpacks and extra clothes fit in the trunk, but we've had her softball gear bag wedged where she could hold onto it and partially sit on it, but it wasn't really solid. That's what got me going on more of a rack than a trunk. We use the trunk quite a bit, though.

Also, if it's hot outside, my jacket, helmet, and gloves go in the trunk when I'm off the bike. It's very handy. I don't think we're overloading it at all, but for some reason we keep talking golf clubs, archery equipment, bike racks... crazy talk. :)

I have rain gear in one side case, and maybe a spare long-sleeved shirt. The other is empty.

-J

I, too, have rain gear In one side case, and the other is normally empty unless I pick up a 12 pack of iced tea on the way home. Everything for the day, or to put it another way, my pack or go-bag, goes in the top case for easy access. I'm toying with putting the optional givi rack on top of the E55 for wet gear or light, bulky items, particularly for when 2-up. I must confess that I don't wear the same gear on the 95+ degree ride home that I do on the 65 degree ride in in the morning. That needs storage too. Simpler when it's butt cold and I wear the same gear all day.

wheatonFJR posted: I recently purchased a top case...and it wasn't for helmets. It was for light items that I wanted easily accessible on a 2-up touring trip where I also wanted a backrest for wifey.
... which echoes garauld's comment: the rear subframe will not take much weight. That's my Yeller Jackit bike pictured above, and I've set a limit of lightweight, quick-access items only for the Pelican case until I acquire garauld's stiffy kit.

I have townsendFJR1300's locking helmet holder bracket installed. (Will search for photo.) Had about 10 minutes of serious rain while entertaining two ladies at lunch today, and the inside of the helmet was bone dry when the deluge stopped. Neither of the two ladies were interested in testing the Pelican case as a backrest, though. <big sigh>

THWG, indeed, Jay in Ohio. With the case off, the mounting rack -- a steel plate with several holes and slots -- might make a decent platform for strapping softball gear.

The nylon bag is a soft-sided cooler for (ahem) iced tea, and is affixed with homemade clip/straps that go under the seat.

I have a couple of pelican cases. I'd like to figure out a way to run one of them on my SR357 for times when I don't quite need the E55. I don't use soft bags on my bikes, but if I did, it'd be one of my sealine drybags. 100% submersible, durable, and functional from below freezing to very hot.

I've been known to repurpose things- the cigar store I frequent sells empty wooden cigar boxes very cheap, and many of them are very well made and finished. Now if I could find one big enough....

I'm all for minimalism on the FJR as much as I can get away with......

Never owned a Top Case - I put a nice rack on the back so I could strap a expandable bag on and not scratch the rear...

Use a Tank bag when on long journeys otherwise, no...

Always run with the sidebags on, use them all the time....

For helmet storage, I have the helmet lock brackets from a forum member here.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/2399-helmet-lock-brackets/

saddlemen_ts3200_s_deluxe_sport_tail_bag_detail.jpg
swmotech_drybag620_waterproof_tailbag62_liter_dry_bag_rear_luggage_system_detail.jpg

This type of thing has some promise. I think some of the weight would be shared by the side cases as well. They seem to be referred to as "tail bags"

Anyone try one on their FJR?

-F

(I credit this discovery to those creepy marketing gurus who are monitoring my internet searches and providing "helpful" ads that might interest me - it's truly disturbing that they are that good)