noise from front tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
My 14 has about 5k miles on her now, 600 by me and I have noticed a almost scrubbing type noise from the front tire area. Rides fine and makes the noise with the clutch in or out on or off the brakes while moving. Is this maybe tire noise from the bt023 or maybe a wheel bearing? Didnt know if this was common with the stock tire. My 07 didnt do it.

Low_Pressure_Foam_Earplugs-large.jpg

My front tire sings when it's leaned, is quiet when upright. Kinda startling at first.

Too bad I can't keep it leaned very much around here......

LOL! I had a '79 BMW R100RS that really required earplugs to ride due to the fairing/windscreen design. On occasions I did not use them, all kind of disconcerting sounds emanated from below. Yep, those ear plugs made that Beemer much more reliable.

It's tire noise. the PRs I'm running now are far more nosier than the Metzler Z6's I ran for years. I'm thinking about going back to them.

Yeah, my 2014 is just now passing 5k miles. The original BT023s have been noisy since Day One. On that day, I rode without earplugs, and noticed the noise immediately. It surprised me, and made me think there was some other source of the noise, because I'm used to tires being real quiet when they're new.

If I ride w/o earplugs then I can hear the roar even through my new very tight fitting Shoei, at low speeds, usually while coasting to a stop. With earplugs, I can't hear anything but wind.

At some point the front tire edges wear into a sawtooth pattern which is usually what makes the noise when the bike is leaned over. I read somewhere a complicated reason for this but I can't remember what it was. I do know that the sawtooth edge develops faster when running the front tire with low pressure. Gotta stay on top of those tire pressures.
smile.png

Never experienced this much noise with 19 bikes ive owned but im sure thats what it is. At 5k they show no wear but i bought it used so I dont know if they were replaced or not at the dealer