Grip Puppies Tip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazglenn3

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I got my set of Grip Puppies in today and went about the task of installing them. Using the soapy water method that was recommended by the manufacturer, I ended up tearing one slightly. I don't have an air compressor so that was out. I started thinking of slippery substances and had a brainstorm...hand sanitizer! Slick as snot and evaporates completely! Had them on in no time! Just thought I would share if anyone else has an install of these coming up.
punk.gif

Many thanks for the tip! I always put Grip Puppies on my bikes, and I have spent a fair amount of time fighting to get them on. I will remember this one.

I ordered grip puppies. Threw them in the trash shortly after unpacking them and trying to put them on. Ordered Grip Buddies, much higher quality and easier to put on. I love them.

The easiest is to take some good black electrical tape, wrap around the grip in a spiral leaving 1/2 " between tape as you wrap & shiny side out. leave 6" of tail at each end.

Spray inside puppies and on tape & slide on with a twisting motion in the same direction as the spiral of tape. pull the tail unwrapping it in the opposite direction it was installed

until it comes out no pulling, no tearing no cussing about a 2 minute job.

Wrapped the stock grips with a cushy black bicycle bar tape, with an extra wrap in the center. Secured the ends with a slice of bicycle inner tube. Very nice.

I used hairspray and had no issues on multiple bikes. I do like the looks of the grip buddies. Thanks for the tip on hand sanitizer.

I ordered grip puppies. Threw them in the trash shortly after unpacking them and trying to put them on. Ordered Grip Buddies, much higher quality and easier to put on. I love them.
Bill don't you have a '14 model bike? Do these work satisfactory with the heated grips?

I've never used them with anything other than heated grips. They work great with heated grips.

Bill don't you have a '14 model bike? Do these work satisfactory with the heated grips?

Last edited by a moderator:
They work ok with heated grips. I've found the bigger diameter just didn't feel right and would cramp my hands, but only on very big mileage days!

Hair Spray is the best method I have found. I'm sure other things work, haven't tried the air compressor though.......

Now this hair spray thing seemed like a simple thing to me - but I'm Bald......

Last edited by a moderator: