Shad top box on Givi Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket

Reaction score
This might have been talked about before so forgive me if I'm bringing up an old subject. I have read in some places the off hand comments that the Shad SH50 top case can be mounted on a Givi SR357 rack mount. Does the Shad mount exactly the same as the Givi E55? I want the Givi SR357 mount for the strength and the Shad SH50 for the ease of use since you don't have to use the key everytime you want to open the box. But obvisiously don't want to have a shakey mount of the top box to the rack. So is it as secure as the Givi to Givi mounting? Thanks for any help.

i have this setup.

givi357 mount, then the shad steel mounting plate bolted to the 357. the shad plastic plate is bolted to the shad steel plate.

i was able to line up the shad steel plate to the pre-drilled holes on the 357.

does this make sense?

I did this and was not happy with it. It ends up with the box fitting very far back on the mount.

CAM00235_zps029f37ba.jpg

CAM00236_zps4f3b9945.jpg

As you can see it sits pretty far back. I used the Givi rack because of my subframe issues I had previously, so this did not sit well with me as a viable option. Maybe it would have worked fine, but I came up with a cheap simple solution.

I ended up picking up a couple of pieces of wide steel bar at the hardware store. Mangled them up with a grinder and drilled some holes to allow me to put the mounting plate exactly where I wanted it on the Givi. Used the grinder to grind off the corners so nothing protrudes and it's all pretty invisible. I did not take pictures but it's pretty basic caveman mods for sure.

Sounds like you used the steel mounting plate as stated above. Did you cut the legs off or something because I couldn't figure out how to bolt that on. The above picture is using the SHAD plastic mount plate directly to the Givi.

I appreciate the feed back so far but still has not answered my question. Does the Shad SH50 mount directly onto the Givi SR357 mount or do you have to modify to make it work?

As seen in my photos, you "can" mount the SHAD plastic baseplate directly to the 357. It just doesn't have the holes the same as the Givi baseplate. You'll have to wait for Steve regarding using the SHAD metal mount plate on top of the Givi mount plate though.

I appreciate the feed back so far but still has not answered my question. Does the Shad SH50 mount directly onto the Givi SR357 mount or do you have to modify to make it work?
the 375 is the steel rack. if you use a givi top box, you need to mount the givi plastic mount to the 357.

this sounds confusing but i'm not sure how to explain it better.

you NEED the plastic Shad mount.

Sounds like you used the steel mounting plate as stated above. Did you cut the legs off or something because I couldn't figure out how to bolt that on. The above picture is using the SHAD plastic mount plate directly to the Givi.
I bought the Shad box used from the forum. it came to me with:

1. Shad Steel FJR Specific Mount (3 hole mount) - I did NOT use this with the 357.

2. Shad Steel universal mount (looks like swiss cheese with all the holes) - I used this in between the 357 and the Shad Plastic Box Mount

3. Shad Plastic Box Mount - This is needed.

If someone PMs me their email, I will try to snap some pictures this eveening and they can post them here.

O.K. I understand now. If I order the Givi SR357 rack it comes with the plastic Givi mount to accept the Givi top box. If you want to install the Shad you have to remove the plastic mount from the Givi SR357 and mount the Shad mounting plate to accept the Shad top box. Is that correct?

O.K. I understand now. If I order the Givi SR357 rack it comes with the plastic Givi mount to accept the Givi top box. If you want to install the Shad you have to remove the plastic mount from the Givi SR357 and mount the Shad mounting plate to accept the Shad top box. Is that correct?
Yep, that's it. The SHAD won't mate to the Givi one so you need the Shad plastic plate to accept the box.

I don't think I got number 2, the universal mounting plate. That may have been the problem for me hence why I made my own. Good to know.

How it sits now.

2015-08-20%2014.32.42_zpsbzt8ns5i.jpg

2015-08-20%2014.32.52_zpsv7qexjps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your help. That clears up everything for me. Now I need to decide on the Shad with a Stiffy Kit or a Givi with the SR357. Decisions, decisions. Both boxes seem good with each one having their own little quirks. Thanks again.

I did both, stiffy and givi.
biggrin.png

Replacing my subframe sucked. I don't want to do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just purchased a used Shad SH box off the forum as well, THANKS REDFISH HUNTER! and managed to find ONE SR357 in Canada, this thing is like an endangered species to obtain.

I am only getting the box with the plastic mounting base, Redfish is using the metal plate with his Shad 39 or 46 or whatever so I will be fabricating a metal base plate. Luckily I sell and design restaurant equipment and have a ton of Stainless laying around. I will post some pics of the mod.

Yep, that's it. The SHAD won't mate to the Givi one so you need the Shad plastic plate to accept the box.

I don't think I got number 2, the universal mounting plate. That may have been the problem for me hence why I made my own. Good to know.

How it sits now.

2015-08-20%2014.32.42_zpsbzt8ns5i.jpg

2015-08-20%2014.32.52_zpsv7qexjps.jpg
This looks WAY better, when I saw your first post my first thought was WOW that thing is hanging out like chee chee's at the strip club!

So I just purchased a used Shad SH box off the forum as well, THANKS REDFISH HUNTER! and managed to find ONE SR357 in Canada, this thing is like an endangered species to obtain.
I am only getting the box with the plastic mounting base, Redfish is using the metal plate with his Shad 39 or 46 or whatever so I will be fabricating a metal base plate. Luckily I sell and design restaurant equipment and have a ton of Stainless laying around. I will post some pics of the mod.
Uh, not exactly. The plastic SHAD plate is bolted to a metal plate that bolts to the bike specific mount. You will have the metal base plate in the box. How it will mount to the Givi SR357 I am not sure but I am confident you will do something wonderful.

It was uncanny how timely this thread was for you. You are actually having a pretty lucky day.

Oh and BTW, the Gloss Black will look much better than that washed out silver on Gixxerjasen's bike. I will always wonder how it would have looked on my '15.

It'll look a whole lot better than if you'd mounted it at the dealership on your 15 before driving it home for the first time.
biggrin.png

It's sort of PhatAir4Me lucky day. It really was I think Mad German's lucky day the other day when he snagged the freaking FREE 357 off of here. Geez, some guys have ALL the luck.

I'd like to see PhatAir4Me's adapter plate. I bet it looks a lot better than mine does, but of course, it's one of those things no one will ever see.
biggrin.png