The Short Version

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleJon

Farting Brisket Sprinkles
Reaction score
I have, for months, wanted to start a post here, revealing my riding history, my motivation, my heart felt amazement at the joy that riding, my FJR and previous 2 wheeled therapy machines, have given me. A very long (at least in my brain) history of what riding means to me. A very personal story. I sit here and I read about all of you, and the majority of you don't know me. I have met some of you. I will be riding with some of you tomorrow. I had no idea when I purchased my 2014 FJR1300A that this community even existed. I'd like you to get to know me better.

So here is the short version. A ride report/ride evolution that brought us to a 25 mile ride yesterday. A ton of emotional subtext will be left out. But I suspect that a lot of you will know how I feel.

I bought my first in 2007. It was a 1986 Honda Shadow. Sorry for the lack of pictures of that one. I put 200 miles on it. And then sold it. I didn't enjoy it. It didn't fit me.

Fast forward.

I bought my first new bike in 2012. I was going through a divorce, and found the idea of hopping on a bike and GOING too enticing to ignore. I sat on quite a few, trying to find the right fit. I am 6' 1", and have a back that is happy to let me know if I put it in a bad position for more than a short period of time. This is the bike that fit me.

phone%20285_zpskfim1les.jpg

Fast forward.

I knew I was out-growing my FZ6R. I knew that some day I would own an FJR. So I thought it would be good for me to try something bigger. Heavier. To make sure it would function in reality like it did in my brain. I found "The Tan Turd".

phone%20220_zpsrbbhxyr6.jpg

Fast forward.

November, 2014. I was between jobs. Put my 2 week notice in with one company. They walked me out that day because I was going to the competition. Thursday of the first week of my 2 week vacation, I drove to a butcher shop that I don't get to often, because it's 45 minutes away. But I had a hankering for florentine pork chops. Coincidentally, said butcher shop is 2 miles away from the closest Yamaha dealership. I had time. I stopped to window shop.

There she was. I had already seen her 3 or 4 times. I had said hello to her every time I had stopped in for one thing or another. But the price tag on her that day was about $3,800 less than the previous visits. I knew.

She went from here:

phone%20405_zpshe5zd9sl.jpg

To here:

phone%20414_zps7tbeuml6.jpg

My FJR is not my motorcycle. It is, most importantly, my accomplishment. My hard work paid off. It is a pat on the back for sacrifices made. And all of that, without even starting it.

And then I do start it...... Life is grand.

Of course I love my FJR.

Even better, so does my son Sam.

20150821_163950_zpszjjdahab.jpg

Thing is, my ex-wife (or as our friends say, my wife-ish) Melanie loves it too. (Yup. There's a whole story right there.) She rode with me to Pennsylvania Memorial Day weekend for my first ride with any of you folks. She, as I did, fell in love with the community.

But that created a problem. I love Mel. I love Sam. And to a very slightly lesser extent, I love my FJR. I can ride with Sam. I can ride with Mel. But not with both. Unless....

20150821_161252_zpsohm9kucs.jpg

At the beginning of the month, I picked up an "automatic motorcycle" (scooter) off the side of the road for Mel. Sam went to summer camp last week, and Mel and I both took the week off of work for our own little vacation. Between taking care of a tree job that I had picked up, local touristy things, sky-diving, etc., we went to the dmv and she got her bike permit. I put her scooter on the road yesterday, and last night, we actually were able to ride. Together, as a family. Some of you will actually know how huge that is.

20150821_164121_zps5nww5bo6.jpg

This was her first time riding on the road. Very nerve wracking for both of us. We live in a rural area, so traffic was not an issue. About 8 miles, one right turn and one left turn, we dropped in on some friends who also ride.

20150821_170906_zps1moo5lmy.jpg

We left from there and just kind of went. It wasn't too far to our favorite local burger and ice cream stand. And I think this is the best picture. The one that means the most to me. Because it's us. Enjoying life and each other.

20150821_175219_zps3zrqxyow.jpg

The love, the pain, the sweat, the tears, the wins and the losses that have made that picture a real thing.... it truly brings tears to my eyes.

My FJR is not just my motorcycle.

And that ride yesterday, and the ride today, and the ride tomorrow, those aren't just miles on the odometer.

But you probably already know that.

Thank you for taking the time to get to know me a little better. Maybe I'll see you down the road.

I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon. I'm sharing a room with TomInCA, who I will be meeting for the first time tomorrow. Very much looking forward to it.

Nicely done, Jon. Looking forward to seeing you and Mel and all the other riff-raff tomorrow morning!

Very cool report LJ. Thanks for sharing a little bit about yourself.

Have to admit though, when I first read the title I thought this thread was about 'Zilla. hehe

And goof on you Jon for going out to meet up for a ride with some of the forumites. This place is so much more than just a keyboard and monitor.

Haha...We're dumb. We love our motorcycles. It's obvious just by the way we clamor on about them.

It's good that we love our families even more.

Glad you found the bike that moves you. I'm also glad you are able to include your family. That is way better!!

Oh, and you're not funny TM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent ride report! Can you tell us a little more about your (wife?)'s bike? I'm not familiar with that model. Also, how tall is she?

The non-riders don't get it, and never will. But we do - in my book, that's good enough. Cheers!