Corbin Smuggler Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
Got my new Corbin Smuggler and love it. Looks like it came with the bike as the Liquid Graphite paint job is a perfect match.

One problem though. I was kinda under the impression that it would be somewhat waterproof. I was she the bike as usual with the trunk on and it leaked a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make the trunk at least water "resistant" ?

Make sure the seal is properly planted in place is the best you can do. Resistant is the word. It's not waterproof. Anything you absolutely want dry, put it in a sandwich bag.

Hmmm, I had one on my 07 R1200RT, purchased in 08, and it was water tight. It was a different design for a different bike at a different time, but it was water tight.

Make sure the seal is properly planted in place is the best you can do. Resistant is the word. It's not waterproof. Anything you absolutely want dry, put it in a sandwich bag.
Damn...that's a lot of money to spend on something, that's not waterproof.
No shit...With the cost of that thing, it had better be beautiful with perfect paint, and be as waterproof as the side bags. There should be a substantial rubber seal in there that seals the lid against the lip.

If that were mine and leaked a drop of water, I'd be sending it back. $800 for a leaky bag? You could have bought 10 canvas tailbags for that.

When I say it leaks, I mean a torrential monsoon type of rain. A normal light rain is not a problem. I've had about a couple dozen expensive canvas bags and no matter how expensive, they all get bleached by the sun in no time and look like crap. The smuggler is a thing of beauty and its 80 times better than any of the canvas ones. Worth every penny! I've lost count on how many people who would never walk up to a stranger in a million years stop and tell me how good it looks. I'm ok with a little leaking every once in a while. :)

I rode through a lot of rain with mine. Actually had two and neither one leaked. But ... when I washed the bike both of the smuggler would always get a little wet inside.

RHZ, both on mine were used and I did not have $800 invested between the two. But ... I would have paid that much just to have lockable storage when I have the side bags off. Radar detector, Zumo 550, camera, prescription sun glassed, etc all fit in there quite nicely.

I have a $56 Nelson Rigg tail bag mounted in place of the rear seat. So far no leaks in about 20k miles.

No, it is not lockable and certaily not as good looking as a Smuggler's trunk. Mine is inexpensive, utilitarian in appearance yet functional. The Corbin is expensive, gorgeous, functional yet leaks. With my old Smuggler's trunk I think a person with a screw driver could pry it open in under 10 seconds. I thought very hard about buying one for my 13 FJR but decided I could not justify the expense. Had I bought one and it had leaked I'd be raising hell with Corbin, for wharever good it would do.

Here's a previous post on how I mounted the Nelson Rigg.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/160787-economical-alternative-to-the-smuggler-trunk/?hl=%2Bnelson+%2Brigg

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip> But ... I would have paid that much just to have lockable storage when I have the side bags off. PIE, Radar detector, Zumo 550, camera, prescription sun glassed, etc all fit in there quite nicely.
Fixed it for ya Pops!

Smugglers are awesome...pillion wouldn't like it much though!
no.gif

--G

But ... I would have paid that much just to have lockable storage when I have the side bags off. PIE, Radar detector, Zumo 550, camera, prescription sun glassed, etc all fit in there quite nicely.
Fixed it for ya Pops!
Smugglers are awesome...pillion wouldn't like it much though! :no:

--G
That's true G but, the smuggler is removable. :)

mine don't leak-you can phutzz around with the hinge and latch adjustment to get it tight