Trailer hitch for Gen lll ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, I've never looked close enough to be absolutely certain

but at first glance it looked like Yamaha may have reverted

to the Gen 1 subframe.

Maybe a hitch for a Gen 1 would fit?

Bob, I've never looked close enough to be absolutely certainbut at first glance it looked like Yamaha may have reverted

to the Gen 1 subframe.

Don't know. There is interference on both sides with the rear suspension components.

Bob, I've never looked close enough to be absolutely certainbut at first glance it looked like Yamaha may have reverted

to the Gen 1 subframe.

The Gen III and ES rear subframe is the same as the Gen II. Or nearly so. Nothing like the Gen I.

"Don't know. There is interference on both sides with the rear suspension components."

In the few pictures I could find I'm not seeing any interference

issue. Doesn't your hitch attach to the muffler hanger bolts?

What component is causing the interference?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Don't know. There is interference on both sides with the rear suspension components."
In the few pictures I could find I'm not seeing any interference

issue. Doesn't your hitch attach to the muffler hanger bolts?

What component is causing the interference?
Yes to the attachment point question. The interference is with the pressure canister on the right side and the actuator on the left. The Penske canister is mounted outside the hanger on the '07. The open road model doesn't look as substantial as the Hitch USA model on the '07 either.

See if someone in your area has a bushtec hitch so you can compare.

Since ScooterG thinks the sub frames are the same, this will show you how it attaches for a Gen II attaches up at the foot peg mounts and triangle up to the subframe by the grab handles. Here are several pictures that might help you. Theoretically, the attachment points should be the same

here is a close up on the left

IMG_8220.jpg

close up of the mount to the foot peg bracket

IMG_8223.jpg

reservoir location on the right with the hitch coming into the foot peg mount.

IMG_5363.jpg

Another angle of the right side from the rear

photo_zps66f9b37a.jpg

Rear shot (after bike was painted).

5_zps4e00032b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The hitch I have on the '07 is almost identical. Even with the Penske resevoir. Problem is where the ES rear suspension stuff is.

The hitch I have on the '07 is almost identical. Even with the Penske resevoir. Problem is where the ES rear suspension stuff is.
You may be able to do some mods to the hitch with a little welding to make it fit around your ES stuff.

Hey I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but the ES res can be relocated easily to install the hitch.

I ran into same issue when installing my hitch, tried everything and in the end it was a 5 min relocate.I can post pics for anyone interested.