Fuel Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWMarc

Reaction score
I pulled my tank off my 07 to do the throttle spring unwind. I figured that while the tank was off that I would pull the fuel pump/float assembly out and check the filter screen. I was very surprised that the whole top of the screen was covered in black crude. I was kind of surprised as the bike only has a bit over 22,000 on it. Cleaned it with carb cleaner made the spring adjustment andsheisrunning good. I purchased the bike in May of this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the crude collected from the bike sitting around with gas in the tank instead of running down the road. 22.5K miles in 8 yrs is well withing the boundaries of HD territory. Juss sayin. Chuck some Seafoam or Berryman's in once in a while, it may help.

Yeah. My '07 has 97,360 miles on it and I bought it in 2009 with 2000 on it.. It has only been sitting still since I bought the 15!

Sorry guys some times this IPad has a mind of its own with spelling. Was supposed to be fuel filter. Not sure how to edit the main heading to change it.

Sorry guys some times this IPad has a mind of its own with spelling. Was supposed to be fuel filter. Not sure how to edit the main heading to change it.
You can blame the spell thingy, but we all know it's 'cos the 'C' and 'F' keys are next to each other. Very easy to get it infforeft.

I work for an environmental contractor that does a lot of underground fuel tank removals. 3-4 inches of sludge in the bottom is common. So is a certain amount of water. I try to buy my fuel from the newest station in town. Any time they get a delivery all of that crap gets stirred up. Only to get trapped by somebody's fuel filter.

There is no filter in the gas station pump?
Probably, unless the operator removed it because it was getting plugged up too often. I try to avoid situations where I am filling up right after a station has had a fuel delivery. The tank bottom goo gets stirred up. Like DiggerDr, I will almost always choose a newer station if the choice is available.

If the tanker truck is on-site, I pass by that station. But I do like to get gas at stations that stay busy and have the freshest fuel.
Probably a good call but really, not much you can do about the crud thats down in the ground. I used to deliver fuel to gas stations, and if you live in a town of any real size then the stations probably get a couple deliveries a day. Your talking about a lot of fuel in that tank down there and once mixed it can take hours to settle. Just cause you dont see a truck doesnt mean the sediment isnt swirling around in the tank. Going by what I saw over a few years of delivering fuel, I try to buy from busier name brand stations, and from grocery store chain stations. These places generally seem to take better care of their equipment and are making enough money to not have to cut corners. I stay away from older places and the small "family run" type stores. Nothing against them, and I'm sure some are very well run, but over all I saw more issues at the smaller retailers. The gasoline is the same anywhere you go, its just a matter of how well the delivery equipment is cared for.

Yes, but most do not run any thing to remove water.
A product I've found to work well "eliminating" water and I've run it in the boat (50 gallon tank) with non ethonol is K100..

This stuff does actually work.

My hull/tank is 1996 vintage and its NEVER been out, PU pulled, etc.

Prior to refitting with a Yamaha F150,(4 stroke in-line 4) I was finding water droplets, cloudy fuel in the VST.

Eventually with the K100 and non-ethonol fuel, all gone... It simply mixes the water with the fuel and eventually burns it off. I have a clear transom fuel filter water separator. Since then, never found a drop in it or the VST since (after some time running).

Not cheap, but MUCH easier than pulling a console/floor/tank/draining, and then to have water accumulate again...

https://k-100.com/videos/demonstration-videos/

https://k-100.com/

Funny thing about water and gasoline...

In the days before 10% ethanol, virtually any amount of water in the gas would drop to the bottom of the tank and sit there forever (if below the pickup). This may rust the tank but is less likely to damage the rest of the fuel system as long as there is a fuel filter to prevent rust flakes from making their way to delicate parts. One advantage of ethanol in your gas is that it acts as a co-solvent and will allow the fuel to absorb (and burn off) a modest amount of moisture. (Gas line antifreeze and "water-out" products are just alcohols that allow the water to dissolve in the fuel)

On the other hand, the presence of ethanol makes the fuel more hydrophilic so it has a greater tendency to absorb moisture from the air. Also, when the water hits the saturation point, what drops out (often during a decrease in ambient temperatures) makes a mess. A fairly large volume of a (sometimes) viscous emulsion can cause corrosion and gum up carbs/injectors/fuel pumps etc.; especially since the water is in suspension and no longer sitting on the bottom of the tank.

Ethanol is not our friend but isn't necessarily all bad if the original gas is pretty much water-free and you don't let it sit too long in the tank exposed to moist air.