Why does it happen when it does?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
So, went to the garage this morning. Glanced at the bike (like you do). There was something odd about its stance. Looked down, and yes, the rear tyre was squished.

Couldn't see anything immediately wrong, so I heaved it up onto the centre stand (thank goodness for the easier GenIII stand, couldn't have done it with my GenII, and no-one around to help).

Spun the wheel, and there it was.

(Click on image for larger view)

Started to pull it out, required pliers then levering with a screwdriver.

No way would I rely on a repair looking at the probable side-wall damage, and the tyre has done 4900 miles, so well worn.

But the timing is really bad, of course. My Better Half is away with the car, so not easy to take the wheel to a tyre shop. Have to beg Son to do some ferrying for me.

I expect that a good plug(s) would hold and I might give it a try as a temporary measure on a rear tire. I would not consider it as a long term repair in this because there are two holes in close proximity, they are pretty close to the edge and the tire is half gone anyway. But for a couple hundred miles of local riding...

I hate when that happens...
not_i.gif

Sorry about the tire! Life has a twisted sense of timing and a twisted sense of humor. Yet another reason to own a Gen III.

I admire your skill in picking up a double puncture with a wiring staple, most people just go for a simple nail
wink.png
A few years ago I had a battle with a staging nail/duplex nail.

0000000050902.jpg

The nail went into my tire with one nail head inside the tire and the other nail head outside the tire. Every time the tire went around the nail poked a hole in the sidewall then pulled back out such that in a few rotations I had a 1" hole in the sidewall and an almost instant deflation. It was exciting slewing sideways in the fast lane of an undivided 4 lane highway during rush hour traffic. I'm sure I heard Life laughing at me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never ceases to amaze me that, considering the large size of the road, the small contact patch and the little nail, how we get them into our tires!
uhoh.gif

Always nice to find out when at home and not on the road.

As stated above, at least you were at home. Much preferred to having it happen when you're parked in some sketchy neighborhood with no way to transport the bike.

As stated above, at least you were at home. Much preferred to having it happen when you're parked in some sketchy neighborhood with no way to transport the bike.
+1, Gunny; BikerChuck is right on, could have happened in mi Barrio del Chandler and mi Vato Loco Homeboys would have jacked the bike and you ese! JSNS, Caramba aye!

I don't see any sidewall damage in yer pics; If'n it were me, I'd stick a couple worms in the thing 'n keep ride'in.

My last two T30s got puncture within the 1st 1000 mi. 'n I just plugged 'em and rode another 5000 mi. (Though I seldom exceed triple digits.)

One kept leaking so I took Fred's advice and spewed sum ride on tire balancer, 'n it stopped the slow leak too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DX8BTUG?redirect=true&ref_=s9_cartx_gw_d99_g263_i5

+1, Gunny; BikerChuck is right on, could have happened in mi Barrio del Chandler and mi Vato Loco Homeboys would have jacked the bike and you ese! JSNS, Caramba aye!

Frum the last south west FJRForum rally?

I'd plug and keep riding too. But I'm in Texas and we don't use that part of our tire here.
biggrin.png

Seriously, here's the maddening part. Since you aren't going to use that tire again, put that staple on the ground and roll your tire over it until it goes back in. I bet you can roll over that thing a million times on purpose and it just lays there, but ride unknowingly over one just ONE time and it goes in all straight and perfect.

I don't see any sidewall damage in yer pics; If'n it were me, I'd stick a couple worms in the thing 'n keep ride'in.My last two T30s got puncture within the 1st 1000 mi. 'n I just plugged 'em and rode another 5000 mi. (Though I seldom exceed triple digits.)

One kept leaking so I took Fred's advice and spewed sum ride on tire balancer, 'n it stopped the slow leak too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DX8BTUG?redirect=true&ref_=s9_cartx_gw_d99_g263_i5

Frum the last south west FJRForum rally?
+1, Gunny; I am with Banjoboy, I would plug this and if there was still a slow leak I would go with Ride On Sealant! Half of those "Gentlemen" above are los Primos (the Cousins) of HotRodZilla and one of them is related to our very own Odot (he has a baby seal harpoon behind his back)! JSNS, ese!

That sucks! But, as others have said, it's always better to discover those things in the garage than out on the highway somewhere. I'd probably plug it temporarily while obtaining a new tire.

At the end of the day, when the bike's parked in the garage, I have a habit of putting it up on the center stand and spinning the rear to check for foreign objects...and looking over the front. I guess it's a holdover from my aircraft inspection days, but it does help in preventing next morning surprises like that. It does nothing for those after-work, time to go home discoveries though...DAMHIK. ;)

I would attempt to plug it, though not necessarily ride it any distance afterward; maybe down to the shop. Just use it as a practice tire. You might have to face this situation for real sometime and it would be good to know what you might be able to expect in terms of success.

Never have I been on a road that seemed wider than when I got a flat in the dark, in the fast lane, in traffic. It took forever to fight the bike across 4 lanes to the 2 foot wide shoulder. Felt like I had to laterally traverse a football field.

Sorry about the tire! Life has a twisted sense of timing and a twisted sense of humor. Yet another reason to own a Gen III.
I admire your skill in picking up a double puncture with a wiring staple, most people just go for a simple nail
wink.png
A few years ago I had a battle with a staging nail/duplex nail.

0000000050902.jpg

The nail went into my tire with one nail head inside the tire and the other nail head outside the tire. Every time the tire went around the nail poked a hole in the sidewall then pulled back out such that in a few rotations I had a 1" hole in the sidewall and an almost instant deflation. It was exciting slewing sideways in the fast lane of an undivided 4 lane highway during rush hour traffic. I'm sure I heard Life laughing at me.