Possible oil leak on Middle Drive Gear bearing housing...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRFan1

Reaction score
Guys,

My 2014 FJR is a month old and I have noticed an ever so small amount of oil under the middle drive gear bearing housing...basically the round cover underneath the clutch cover. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue? I am still going to make sure it is coming from there and keep an eye on it. Worst case it goes back to the dealer.....My oil level is at the very top marks (and above when the engine is up to temp) so not sure if it could be coming from somewhere else and ending up there.

Thoughts?

That was not unheard of on Gen 1 units but haven't heard of it lately. It's a bit of a job cause the engine needs to be moved forward to get the bolts out. I assume the later generations are similar. Let the warranty fix it.

Sounds crazy, but have you cleaned it and it has reappeared? Keep us posted.
Yes I have. Going to clean it and try some powder to pin point it. There is no drip that I can see...it would hit the cat....but when I put my finger under it it comes out with a light film on it. Going to keep an eye on it and see.

That was not unheard of on Gen 1 units but haven't heard of it lately. It's a bit of a job cause the engine needs to be moved forward to get the bolts out. I assume the later generations are similar. Let the warranty fix it.
Yikes! Why would the engine need to move forward...looks like two of the bolts are easily accessible and one is under the Water pump assembly. I need to look at that closer. It appears that cover has an o-ring seal.....

Guys,
My 2014 FJR is a month old and I have noticed an ever so small amount of oil under the middle drive gear bearing housing...basically the round cover underneath the clutch cover. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue? I am still going to make sure it is coming from there and keep an eye on it. Worst case it goes back to the dealer.....My oil level is at the very top marks (and above when the engine is up to temp) so not sure if it could be coming from somewhere else and ending up there.

Thoughts?
This is on the right side as you are sitting on the bike, yes? I'll take a look at mine later.

Guys,

Thoughts?
This is on the right side as you are sitting on the bike, yes? I'll take a look at mine later.
Yes, the round cover with three bolts below the clutch and towards your left if you are looking at it. :)

My mistake, I thought you were talking about the bevel drive exiting the engine to the final drive

Guys,

Thoughts?
Yes, the round cover with three bolts below the clutch and towards your left if you are looking at it.
smile.png
I just went out to look and there was no oil on mine. Mine is a 2014A with 9200 miles.

Just another thought. That is right beside the water pump. Any chance that what you are seeing is coolant? Water pump leaks are not unheard of. (Hoses or pump itself)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, I am not 100% sure it is leaking because I cleaned it at work, rode home 40 miles and nothing. Gave it a good look and can't see anything. Weird. Maybe it is left over preservative or cozmoline or whatever. I will keep an eye on it. The oil level has remained the same since owning it and I have 1900 miles now too.....

Was this noticed after the initial 600 mile service? Possible that oil was spilled on the engine while filling and gradually worked its way to the lowest point before dropping off. You mentioned that you just bought the bike (new?) so I assume that by 1900 miles, you have had an oil change done.

Was this noticed after the initial 600 mile service? Possible that oil was spilled on the engine while filling and gradually worked its way to the lowest point before dropping off. You mentioned that you just bought the bike (new?) so I assume that by 1900 miles, you have had an oil change done.
Yes I bought it "new" but it was actually a 2014 Demo...it had 500 miles on it and part of the deal was they do the 600 mile service. I guess it's possible. The idiot service guy did overfill the oil and I had to drain some to get down to the top mark.....

I will monitor it...hoping all is good. Have I mentioned this bike is F'ng awesome, lol :)

Yes I bought it "new" but it was actually a 2014 Demo...it had 500 miles on it and part of the deal was they do the 600 mile service. I guess it's possible. The idiot service guy did overfill the oil and I had to drain some to get down to the top mark.....

I will monitor it...hoping all is good. Have I mentioned this bike is F'ng awesome, lol
smile.png
Document the issue, and if it continues to leak there, I would have it repaired under warranty during the offseason.

I had a 2004 that I purchased used, and that sunuvabeech leaked and made a mess on the underside of the bike. Took the shine right off the new bike smell.

I will monitor it...hoping all is good. Have I mentioned this bike is F'ng awesome, lol
smile.png
Document the issue, and if it continues to leak there, I would have it repaired under warranty during the offseason.

I had a 2004 that I purchased used, and that sunuvabeech leaked and made a mess on the underside of the bike. Took the shine right off the new bike smell.
Yeah that's the plan for sure....I gave it a good going over today and can't find oil anywhere so I am hoping its all good!

...The idiot service guy did overfill the oil and I had to drain some to get down to the top mark.....
Well, mebby not an idiot. It is a known fact that the FJR makes oil right after an oil change. Really and for true. For some reason that the Forum isn't really sure of, the oil level seems to often go up after a careful oil fill and a ride or two. The amount is usually trivial and it won't go back down on its own. In fact, it appears that the only way oil leaves the FJR is by removing the drain plug or a drain plug leak, 'cause it doesn't go through the engine. Except for the early Gen I with the rare valve guide issue.

...The idiot service guy did overfill the oil and I had to drain some to get down to the top mark.....
Well, mebby not an idiot. It is a known fact that the FJR makes oil right after an oil change. Really and for true. For some reason that the Forum isn't really sure of, the oil level seems to often go up after a careful oil fill and a ride or two. The amount is usually trivial and it won't go back down on its own. In fact, it appears that the only way oil leaves the FJR is by removing the drain plug or a drain plug leak, 'cause it doesn't go through the engine. Except for the early Gen I with the rare valve guide issue.
Hehehe...well that is good to know! My previous Tiger 800 was kind of the same way. Today I went on about an 80 mile jaunt and no oil anywhere. I am calling this one closed and it must have been preservative or something else. Been about 120 miles now and no residue.

This. Every oil change, I fill to the top mark, run/check/run/check. But the end of the next riding day, the glass will be completely covered in oil, and will stay that way until the next oil change. .