FJR oil filter update!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy96

Reaction score
Don't know how many of you know, but on the '12 and older FJR's we can't use the newer superceded 5GH filters from Yamaha. You must continue to use the older 5JW filters. Don't know why, but that's what Yamaha claims. Just found out, thought I'd spread the word. (the older ones are cheaper anyway;))

iirc, the primary difference is the newer ones are shorter. I don't know the technical details of the yammy filters, but the equivalent Wix filters are also shorter for gen III, but have a slightly reduced flow rate, lower burst pressure rating and possibly slightly less bypass pressure rating.

Personally, I'd go with the older, larger filters with better flow rate, even tho' they stick out a bit more, and are white instead of black.

FYI: 'older, gen I-II' Wix # 57356; 'newer gen III' Wix # 51358

Don't know how many of you know, but on the '12 and older FJR's we can't use the newer superceded 5GH filters from Yamaha. You must continue to use the older 5JW filters. Don't know why, but that's what Yamaha claims. Just found out, thought I'd spread the word. (the older ones are cheaper anyway;))
I would like to know who from Yamaha is making that claim because I thought they had discontinued production of the old filters. Its hard to believe that with all the after market filters that one size fits all years and models, a filter made for a 2013 FJR can't be used in a 2012 model.

It also appears from Yamaha's parts fiche that filter 5GH-13440-50-00 (which replaced 5GH-13440-00-00 and 5GH-13440-20-00) is the current filter for all FJR models and I have all 3 filters in my inventory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to agree with my grouchy friend above. When I go to my dealership to buy the filters for Dad's Gen2 and my Gen3, they give me two of the new shorter filters. So far the '07 has not grenaded its engine.

I would like to know who from Yamaha is making that claim because I thought they had discontinued production of the old filters. Its hard to believe that with all the after market filters that one size fits all years and models, a filter made for a 2013 FJR can't be used in a 2012 model.

It also appears from Yamaha's parts fiche that filter 5GH-13440-50-00 (which replaced 5GH-13440-00-00 and 5GH-13440-20-00) is the current filter for all FJR models and I have all 3 filters in my inventory.
Steve,

Sounds like you need to order a 2016 FJR so you can add those oil filters to your inventory too.

:)

Exactly where did you get this information from? The old 5JW filter has been discontinued. So good luck finding them from most sources.

Well hell, if the new Yamaha filters cannot be used on the pre '13 bikes then buy any of many after mkt. filters. I use Amsoil filters which are cheaper than what the local stealer charges for Yamaha filters and they are black and longer just like the older Yamaha filters. Life is Good!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if our oil filter is discontinued and the new one is not blessed by Yamaha then they must be about to give us '15s
punk.gif

Well, if our oil filter is discontinued and the new one is not blessed by Yamaha then they must be about to give us '15s
punk.gif
It's not that it's not "blessed". It's that they laugh at you behind your back when you approach the service counter since the '15's have been out for about 10 months now.

The new '16 French-engined FJRs are due out Sunday in the special red color. Keep any eye on their website to change at midnight France time!

Yet another thread confusing the long vs. short filter thing. Stress less, ride more.