Mode switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tby

Reaction score
So at a bit past 17,000 miles on my '14 I noticed the Mode switch. Rolling down the road pressing it repeatedly I don't notice anything happening. At a stop light I press it a bunch more times and notice the flashing between T & S on the dash. Shoot, which mode have I been in all this time? Put it in T and twist the throttle. Ok, I had definitely been in S. I guess the T turns on the Turbo Lag and the S engages the Supercharger? I didn't realize these bikes were twin charged. Where do they hide those things? Must be really tiny.

Tearing up the twisties of VA, TN, and NC this weekend, I really liked the more sluggish partial-throttle acceleration of the T mode. Cut down on the incidents of entering a straight at they-might-throw-you-in-jail-in-Virginia speeds and having to quickly slam on the brakes for the next curve and probably made me faster overall. Now I'm gonna head down to the dealership and slap the guy who spent 20 minutes showing me all the new crap on the Gen III ES and somehow overlooked explaining that button to me...

Mode switch only works with throttle shut and cruise control not engaged.

No ultimate power difference, "Touring" just puts a lag on power increasing (with increase in rear tyre life ;) ).

Personally I tend to stay in "Sport" for the instant overtaking ability (or instant "get out of an errant cager's way"). I use "Touring" when the road is slippery (not sure I trust the traction control).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahahaha! I've got a little over 15,000 on my bike, and only 20 have been in Sport mode: a few to try it out, and 15 or so after my last maintenance visit to the shop.

It came back in Sport mode and I almost flung myself off the bike three or four times riding home. ("Wow! that 14,000 mile maintenance makes some serious adjustments!")

Got her back in Tour mode. That setting's only halfway to lunacy.

It just doesn't seem normal to me in touring mode. Yeah, it may be saving the rear tire a bit, but man do I love the power!

So at a bit past 17,000 miles on my '14 I noticed the Mode switch. Rolling down the road pressing it repeatedly I don't notice anything happening. At a stop light I press it a bunch more times and notice the flashing between T & S on the dash. Shoot, which mode have I been in all this time? Put it in T and twist the throttle. Ok, I had definitely been in S. I guess the T turns on the Turbo Lag and the S engages the Supercharger? I didn't realize these bikes were twin charged. Where do they hide those things? Must be really tiny.
Tearing up the twisties of VA, TN, and NC this weekend, I really liked the more sluggish partial-throttle acceleration of the T mode. Cut down on the incidents of entering a straight at they-might-throw-you-in-jail-in-Virginia speeds and having to quickly slam on the brakes for the next curve and probably made me faster overall. Now I'm gonna head down to the dealership and slap the guy who spent 20 minutes showing me all the new crap on the Gen III ES and somehow overlooked explaining that button to me...
While you're slapping him for not telling you about the mode switch, slap him once for me for not giving you an owner's manual.
smile.png

OK. Just kiddin'. I knew it was there because of road tests I'd read while trying to make up my mind whether to buy or not. The same articles agreed with mcatrophy that the switch doesn't really change anything except throttle application -- sort of like putting a quick throttle on a sport bike.

While you're slapping him for not telling you about the mode switch, slap him once for me for not giving you an owner's manual.
smile.png
I'm waiting for the Kindle edition to come off backorder.

I missed any mention of the Mode switch in the reviews I read. All I really cared about was Red, cruise control, electronically adjustable suspension, and the much less twitchy throttle vs the '07... but really they had me at Red. I do about 1/3rd of my miles in the mountains locked in 2nd gear, where in the S mode any further twisting of the throttle produces big acceleration, so taming that a bit with the T mode is definitely helpful for keeping within my abilities while improving my overall speed. I'm looking forward to being on my home turf this weekend and testing it out on the road I've been using for practice.

They had me at "cruise control."

I'd been wanting an FJR for some time, but since it's my touring bike the lack of cruise control was a deal breaker. Then in '13 I see in the ads, "Electronic Cruise Control." Sold, to the odd-looking, gray-headed gentleman from Arkansas
mda.gif

Kindle edition indeed. Nicely played
thumbsup_zps3bf1eb32.gif

Sport mode is hard on rear tires although the yeehaw factor is fun. Unless I'm in the twisties, I leave the '15 in T mode and enjoy the ride.

Kindle addition...I like it!

YMMV

--G

It just doesn't seem normal to me in touring mode. Yeah, it may be saving the rear tire a bit, but man do I love the power!
I love Sport mode...but I haven't mastered the smooth throttle control when ripping through the twisties...scared myself once when I backed off the throttle a little bit when things tightened up. I guess I am hamhanded and need a little more throttle rotation.

I will still practice with it, so someday I can attempt to be as good as Bob, although I know that is nigh impossible.

I try to keep Scar in "T" mode. I find the Right NOW!!! power delivery of "S" mode addictive and intoxicating. I am too weak to resist the temptation and begin to act a complete fool in traffic and have no patience for ordinary, slow people.

Of course, I still act a fool and have no patience. But the softer delivery of Touring mode is calming and relaxing.

Now to be ugly:

What kind of person comes home with a Gen3 FJR with all those cool, customizable menus and does not even try to find out what it all does and what all the switches and indicators are supposed to do? I cannot imagine.

I read my owner's manual the first night I got the bike. Not that it did me any good because I still crashed it on my way home the next morning, but at least I read it.

The GenIIIs also came with another accessory, rarely found in modern vehicles. Say it slowly: Owner's Manual.

Would have told all about the extra buttons and stuff. I'd bet it also explains the plug in the glove box.

The GenIIIs also came with another accessory, rarely found in modern vehicles. Say it slowly: Owner's Manual.
Would have told all about the extra buttons and stuff. I'd bet it also explains the plug in the glove box.
I was too busy learning all the new buttons on the left to wonder about that extra one on the right. Hardly even knew it was there. You Gen II riders, you don't know buttons.

I put a little toggle switch there on the left cowling of my '10 and labeled it "T" and "S". It doesn't do much for saving tires but the placebo effect is awesome!

T = Turtle Mode

S = Scalded Ape Mode

The difference is quite striking really. I switch between the two modes a lot...Sport mode is pretty twitchy, but lots of fun. :D

I also like the automatic increase in RPM if you let the clutch out a bit without increasing throttle, a nice touch.