Sena SM-10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. 😔
Reaction score
Getting ready for EOM, I came across the Sena SM-10. Since the wife and I will be going, she on her own bike, I thought it would be good for her to hear the GPS instructions when I do. Anyone have experience with it?

The SM 10 is a Bluetooth transmitter, similar to the SR10 I use with the CB.

But the SMH10 works a treat.

I have the Zumo 550 (mono bluetooth) & detector hardwired into the SR10.

SR10 Bluetooth into the SMH10

Phone music Bluetooth into the SMH10

Also use the SMH-A303, which is a base that has a 3.5mm output for earbuds.

Battery life for both units are good.

Good communications with other riders.

May take a short while, trial & error to set up the system to what you like.

Some good help files on the Sena site

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ken, so you think it'll be a good fit for what I'm trying to accomplish (Simultaneous GPS directions to both riders)?

I'm sure you can share music, don't know about GPS directions ?

I just ride by myself, occasionally pair up Bluetooth headsets units with a few mates.

The Sena FAQ

I had problems with the Bluetooth on my phone, a Samsung S3 4G, basically crap.

If you have phone connection / Bluetooth control problems check out the XDA Developers site.

Had to troll the forum to find a good phone that had a good chip/antenna and Radio Rom.

The Sena works seamlessly with an Iphone.

I can bluetooth music to both riders now, using smh-10 music share, however I want to also bluetooth GPS. According to Sena, the sm-10 allows you to hardwire it to the GPS, and it then bluetooths it to the smh-10. I went ahead and ordered it. When I get it, and get it connected, I'll give a quick review. Thanks guys!

Yep, it'll work.

Sooze and I have SMH-10s on our helmets. I have a SM-10 in the glove box. The SM-10 is hard-wired for switched power from my FZ1 and the Zumo 550 is plugged into the audio in port. Sooze and I both get XM for music and we both get the GPS directions.

If you ride long days, get the power cord. The estimated battery life on the SM-10 was something like 8 hours and, for mine, it was 8 hours ON THE DOT.

Rob,

The SM10 has a transmitting range of only about 100ft. It works great when you're on the same bike, but would be a problem transmitting to your wife on a separate bike.

I had problems with the Bluetooth on my phone, a Samsung S3 4G, basically crap.If you have phone connection / Bluetooth control problems check out the XDA Developers site.

Had to troll the forum to find a good phone that had a good chip/antenna and Radio Rom.

The Sena works seamlessly with an Iphone.
My LG G3 sounds like crap if I sync it with my Zumo 660 and my previous Motorola phone did also. I've heard that if you sync the phone directly to the Sena SMH10, then it sounds good but I don't want to give up the ability to see who's calling. I figure if it's an important call, I'll pull over and take the call directly with the phone. How are you connecting your phone?

Rob,The SM10 has a transmitting range of only about 100ft. It works great when you're on the same bike, but would be a problem transmitting to your wife on a separate bike.
Thanks for the heads up! 100 ft. I could live with. She normally is only 30 ft. or so from me. She doesn't like it when cars split us up, so up to 100 feet will work for us under most circumstances.

Does the sm10 use a2dp (hifi) audio or hfp (voice quality) audio? I've run SMH10s for a number of years and just got a SMH20s for sharing audio (hi quality) with wife and hearing the GPS muxed in with the conversation. It's in the mail, will see how it works for my appication when it gets here.

Does the sm10 use a2dp (hifi) audio or hfp (voice quality) audio? I've run SMH10s for a number of years and just got a SMH20s for sharing audio (hi quality) with wife and hearing the GPS muxed in with the conversation. It's in the mail, will see how it works for my appication when it gets here.
I'd be interested to know if sharing GPS works without an SM10 on the 20S....... thanks.

Ok, I got it the other day, and devoted the latter half of yesterday to get it all synced together. I had to update it first, then update the 2 SMH-10's, then begin the pairing process. I won't go into the aggravation I went through, because all of it was my ignorance, or lack of memory, or both. Suffice to say pairing will go much, much easier if you use the phone button, and not the jog dial to pair.

After all that was done, I started hooking my iPhone and Garmin 660 to the SM-10 with the supplied cords. Here's where things started to go wrong. The cables fit nicely into SM-10, but for the 660 I had to take a small screw out, to take off a rubber cover for the outlet. Once plugged in, the rubber cover can't go back on, and there's another outlet next to it that would be open to the weather. The iPhone, which has a Lifeproof case that is waterproof (it works), turned out to be just as bad. The cable wouldn't fit into the iPhone port because of the case. I took the case off, and it fit fine. Well, that's not going to work, because without the case, the phone would be a brick after any rain.

So with everything hooked up, I put on the helmet to try it out anyway. The music came in at a medium level, so I increased it with a audio boost feature on the SM-10, and it came in like what I'm used to with the SMH-10. However, when I entered a route into the GPS, the voice came through, and the music reduced it's sound level, but I still only heard the GPS instructions at a low level. No way I could here that a speed. I thought it was odd too, because my GPS instructions come in louder than the music on the SMH-10.

At this point, I had lost interest in the whole thing, especially after realizing the the iPhone cord wouldn't fit. Another thing that put this to a halt, is that, since I couldn't have the phone paired to the SMH-10, while connected to the SM-10, I lost all phone functionality. That means no phone calls, text retrieval, and Siri. That killed it for me. So I packed it all back up, and will send it back to Amazon.

Now, I'm no gadget whiz, so take this mini review with a grain of salt. Others might know how to have all the functionality that I want, and make it work. This is just my experience with it. Remember, I'm the guy who kept trying to pair with the jog dial, instead of the phone button. :grin:

I was a bit overwhelmed at first as well, I'm a real technophobe.

Just a couple of things.

I'd pair, Bluetooth, the Iphone to the SMH 10, that gives you full control of the phone via A2DP

The Garmin connected to the SM 10 via the chord

Bluetooth the SMH10 to the SM10, it only gives you Hands Free Protocol, so the sound quality isn't the best.

sorry, made mistake, SM10 is far better than the SR10, good music quality.

Once the SM10 triggers, say by a GPS command, adjust the volume of the SMH 10 via the jog dial, quickly while the channel is opened.

The SMH 10 remembers the volume for each input.

Lots of good help files and videos on the Sena site

I was a bit overwhelmed at first as well, I'm a real technophobe.
Just a couple of things.

I'd pair, Bluetooth, the Iphone to the SMH 10, that gives you full control of the phone via A2DP

The Garmin connected to the SM 10 via the chord

Bluetooth the SMH10 to the SM10, it only gives you Hands Free Protocol, so the sound quality isn't the best.

Once the SM10 triggers, say by a GPS command, adjust the volume of the SMH 10 via the jog dial, quickly while the channel is opened.

The SMH 10 remembers the volume for each input.

Lots of good help files and videos on the Sena site
Thanks Ken, I believe you are correct. I did some looking around, and it seems that you can indeed do it that way. I should have researched this more. However, I'm still going to send it back. The GPS volume being so low scares me, thinking it would be unusable at speed. Also, the phone and GPS having to be exposed to the elements to have it plugged in, just doesn't work....for me. Maybe there is a way to alter the cord jack insulator, so the phone can stay in it's waterproof case, but what about the GPS? By taking the rubber cover off the side, and not being able to put it back on while plugged in seems, well, counterintuitive to it remaining waterproof.
Unless there's something else I'm missing here, which could very well be.

The SM-10, in all likelihood, would work for most people. I think my hesitance comes from the fact that I don't want to keep it, beyond the return date for refund, and find that I can't or won't use it. So I'm NOT going to say NOT get this, as this very well may be just my inability to make it work. :)

Edit: I almost forgot, another thing that made this non-workable for me. According to the documentation that came with it, GPS instructions CANNOT be heard while in intercom with another rider. Maybe there's a work-around for this, but that would be far from my capabilities or inclination.

Sorry I made a BIG boo-boo.

The SM10 features Advanced Audio Distribution Profile for Bluetooth® Stereo Music and Audio Video Remote Control Profile for Playback Control.

SR10 only supports HFP (Hands-Free Profile) Bluetooth connection with a Bluetooth headset. HFP is a typical and standard Bluetooth headset connection which can only transmit mono audio.
Do you have to plug in the phone ?

Why not bluetooth it and keep it safe in the jacket ?

There has to something funny why you are not getting better volume from the GPS.

I must admit, it took a while to figure out all the protocols and priorities.

The only thing I can suggest is to check the Sena Help Desk.

If his setup was like mine, I really liked the idea of bluetoothing my phone to the Zumo 550 so I could see who was calling and dial through the 550 screen but it was not to be. The phone sound just sucked so ....

Zumo 550 gps and Valentine One radar detector are hardwired to the Sena SM10.

Sena 20S headset is bluetoothed to the Sena SM10.

Samsung phone is bluetoothed to Sena 20S headset.

Zumo 550 GPS, Valentine One radar detector and Sena SM10 are all hard wired to a fuse block.

Also have a usb outlet hard wired to the fuse block so that I can charge my phone or headset.

With the Sena 20S, you have the ability to setup 3 phone numbers that you can call with the headset. You also the phone app to changed those numbers any time you want. I leave my phone in my jacket pocket but there are times it would be nice to have it where I could see who was calling. Guess that's my next project.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts