Stock Saddlebag Lock Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMaxMan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am very very close to buying a 2015 FJR 1300 ES but there are no locks on the saddlebags, it states on the Canadian yamaha website that the stock key fits them but the dealer says you have to buy the accessory one with separate key, can someone shed some light on this for me please, thanks.

As far as I know, the bike should come with three locks all keyed to the ignition. Two for the side bags and a third one for the factory top box (whether or not you want to buy this accessory). I don't think that Yamaha has changed this practice...

RossKean is correct, the bike comes with a pack containing the three locks, a total of six cover plates for the bag mounting points, three keys, two black, one red (DO NOT LOSE or use other than to program the black keys into the bike's CPU).

In the U.S. the bags come with inners, in the UK they don't, I don't know about Canada.

It's the dealer's responsibility to mount the locks in the bags, the instructions that come with the bags say to Loctite the lock screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not in Canada but if I were you I would contact Yamaha Canada and confirm this info. It sound to me the dealer is giving you a line of BS. Should that be the case, I would tell the dealer to stick his locks where the sun don't shine. Use a different dealer if possible. Fly and ride but do it soon. I hear it gets cold early in the northland!!

Locks are probably under the seat in a plastic bag...and the dealer doesn't know it. As others have said, you should have three (3) keyed alike locks delivered with your new bike.

Good luck!

--G

Or the dealer knows it perfectly well and is simply sticking it to the customer, hoping they don't know any better. Although that doesn't fit with needing a separate key. Maybe they simply haven't looked under the seat, or haven't read the assembly instructions.

We don't need no stinking instructions!

There was talk some time back of some US dealers keeping the side case liners to sell separately, rather than delivering them with the bike. Anecdotal hearsay, I have no specifics.....

Thanks guys, it was in a bag under the seat, three of them, they have them installed now, I am signing the papers today to buy this baby now
smile.png

Thanks guys, it was in a bag under the seat, three of them, they have them installed now, I am signing the papers today to buy this baby now
smile.png
Did they install with Loctite? If they didn't, do it yourself. Those bags are pricey.

Agree with the others. Don't think we get the inner bags though.

That just doesn't make any sense. Why would they not come with the bag liners just in Canada? Sounds fishy to me.

it's the first FJR they ever sold so I will give them the benefit of the doubt, where do I put the lock tight? do they bolt in place or just snap in place?

...where do I put the lock tight? do they bolt in place or just snap in place?
Put it on the two tiny screws that hold the lock in place. Locktite is not plastic friendly so use some care. Earlier FJR bag/trunk locks used security torx screws, dunno if they still do that for the Gen III. Just be aware that you may need special tools to install the screws for the locks.

Gen III bags still use the security torx screws, the exact size you need is listed in the manual (IIRC something like T10). By "security torx", we mean the type that requires a torx bit with a hollow center.

In Canada, no bag liners. But we do get the ignition immobilizer, and the very pricey 'red key'!

Have fun with your new ride. Dealers first FJR? (In 13 years?) where are you buying from?

-Steve

If that is the first FJR sold by his dealer, I am surprised they had a security torx bit to install the locks. Very good chance they did not Loctite the screws!! You should go over the bike and make sure all the other fasteners are properly torqued.

Thanks guys, I bought it from my local dealer, it's only a small one here in Labrador, canada (east coast) I am a mechanic by trade and I have the torx security screws here anyhow. I will go over whatever I can forsure, and try to get some riding in before the season is over, not the best time to buy a bike for riding it but best time to get a good deal ;)