Cheap chinese gps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
I know, you get what you pay for but has anyone tried one of these? Ive seen them on ebay, waterproof motorcycle gps for just over $100 and it looks like a garmin knock off. The only thing is you have to install your own software so i didnt know how that worked. Any info?

Had one. Half the software on it was either pirated, or not upgradeable etc. It did navigate ok. There was no reasonable way to get map updates.

Mount failed almost immediately.

It was waterproof.

No technical support to speak of.

Gave it away.

Over on the ST1300 forum there's a pretty good thread about the Chinavasion Gps, good read. Concensus is they like it. If that's the brand you're thinking of. ff

Over on the ST1300 forum there's a pretty good thread about the Chinavasion Gps, good read. Concensus is they like it. If that's the brand you're thinking of. ff
So if you like the second best sport touring bike on the planet, you'll also like a chinese knockoff GPS?
Everybody I know rode something else first. I like my FJRES better than the ST, but it was a good scooter. And you might like the Chinavasion GPS. You could read the thread. ff

I read through a lot of it. Seems rather complicated and hit or miss if it works. I will keep a look out for a used Garmin or Tom Tom.

So if you like the second best sport touring bike on the planet, you'll also like a chinese knockoff GPS?
I bought some cheap ass chinese hand guards which are awesome and put them on my bike.
bleh.gif

This one is made in China and it's not particularly cheap either at a little over $300, but it's a computer on your handlebars with a gps receiver built in. Lots of map options that will work with it all over the internet. Runs on Microsoft CE 6.0

https://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/products_content.jsp?pno=423

Holux makes some very good commercial gps equipment...so it's from a reputable company. I don't have one yet but I'm looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holux makes some very good commercial gps equipment...so it's from a reputable company. I don't have one yet but I'm looking.
The manual from their website was incredible! It went into minute detail through all of the "setup" screens, and yet published not a single word of information about navigation maps or software. Nada about the actual function of the device.

Perhaps there is some secret supplemental manual?
uhoh.gif

I just wish a company would build out a waterproof GPS that ran on android and had google maps pre-installed....

sooner or later something like this has to come to market....

I just wish a company would build out a waterproof GPS that ran on android and had google maps pre-installed....
Agree.

You can always get a small android tab (cheap $100 range too!), then put on a weather proof clear skin ...as I do w my iPad and smartphone (pic'd below). I've all-day downpour and hail tested these "skins" as completely waterproof, and, these can easily be found for all tabs and pads, eBay has a zillion.

DSC02236_zpswdtllb9w.jpg

Agree.

You can always get a small android tab (cheap $100 range too!), then put on a weather proof clear skin ...as I do w my iPad and smartphone (pic'd below). I've all-day downpour and hail tested these "skins" as completely waterproof, and, these can easily be found for all tabs and pads, eBay has a zillion.

DSC02236_zpswdtllb9w.jpg
Where did you get the skin? I could always get a standard gps and put one of those on.