2006 engine heat guard question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum
smile.png

I am not sure if it fit,i think that not,but have a look here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-FJR1300-FJR-HOT-TANK-HEAT-FIX-INSULATION-KIT-/191666920770?hash=item2ca03d1d42&vxp=mtr

https://www.jfiltd.com/spdzn/#Motorcycle Heat Fix Kit

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of wandering off my original question, but thanks for the info guys.

FJ Commander--Bought one of the kits, just haven't installed it yet.

Scouser--Cut which to fit....the 2006 heat guard or the heat kit? Why did you get rid of it later....testicals get toughened up to the heat?

Jay

This is a joke right?
No joke. Why would you think that? Jay
This could get fun. The subject of heat management has been tossed around for many years. There is no guaranteed fix as no two units are the same. My 03 doesn't seem to have an issue with heat.

Behave yourself Barry.:) :)
Typical forum s***.

Thank you FJR Commander for your response.

I'm new to this forum and the FJR world, having purchased a 2003 with 30K a month ago. I've spent hours on the net learning about the 2003.

My 2003 is a testical killer.

I understand all this first gen stuff is probably boring to you old timers, but I'm a new timer. Humor me.

My original question was will the 2006 engine heat guard retrofit the 2003. Simple. That's all I would like to know.

Thank you!

Jay

This is a joke right?
This could get fun. The subject of heat management has been tossed around for many years. There is no guaranteed fix as no two units are the same. My 03 doesn't seem to have an issue with heat.

Typical forum s***.

I'm new to this forum and the FJR world, having purchased a 2003 with 30K a month ago. I've spent hours on the net learning about the 2003.

I understand all this first gen stuff is probably boring to you old timers, but I'm a new timer. Humor me.

My original question was will the 2006 engine heat guard retrofit the 2003. Simple. That's all I would like to know.

Thank you!

Jay
Jay,i assume that you already have a 06 heat guard and you want to install it in your 03.
With some tricks i guess that it can fit because there in this area of the engine no many differences between the two bikes.If someone here has done this conversion,soon he will tell you about.If nobody has done it you can try to install it and if it doesn't fit well you can install the kit that you already have.Simple
smile.png

Also,congratulations on your new to you bike!The 03 is the fastest fjr!
smile.png

This is a joke right?

Typical forum s***.

Thank you!

Jay
Jay,i assume that you already have a 06 heat guard and you want to install it in your 03.
With some tricks i guess that it can fit because there in this area of the engine no many differences between the two bikes.If someone here has done this conversion,soon he will tell you about.If nobody has done it you can try to install it and if it doesn't fit well you can install the kit that you already have.Simple
smile.png

Also,congratulations on your new to you bike!The 03 is the fastest fjr!
smile.png
Thank you again FJR Commander for your interaction.

I do not have the '06 heat guard, but have the opportunity to buy one. Apparently no one knows, is not interested, or has not experimented if this will retrofit to the 2003.

No doubt you all have moved beyond the 2003 and do not have any interest in discussing. I get it.

Jay

...Thank you again FJR Commander for your interaction.

I do not have the '06 heat guard, but have the opportunity to buy one. Apparently no one knows, is not interested, or has not experimented if this will retrofit to the 2003.

No doubt you all have moved beyond the 2003 and do not have any interest in discussing. I get it.

Jay
Jay - don't get your knickers in a twist. This forum is probably the best on the planet for knowledge of the FJR and all its little issues. It also has some of the best remote friends you could ask for. Along with this there are some members who are "characters", and as with all such people, they can seem a bit abrasive at times.

Put on a slightly thicker skin, hang around, you will learn a great deal about your bike and about some of the members on this forum.

There are plenty who still have a GenI, there are plenty more who have had one (or more than one) and can answer many questions about them.

There have been very many topics concerning heat management of the GenIs, but your specific question is probably a first, I've never heard of anyone trying this. Believe me, if anyone knew a direct answer to your question, you would have got a sensible answer. It's probably to hide their ignorance that Certain People make sarky comments, as is their way.

My advice on handling such comments? Either ignore them, or, preferably, give back as good as you got.

It's common for a "Newbie" to get a bit of a pasting, consider it something of an initiation into this particular madhouse. Then, if you do try the heat shield thingy, post it up here, it will be a useful and appreciated contribution to our knowledge-base.

Whatever, you are welcome here (unless you become sulky, then you will be dog-piled).

Don't know for sure and certain, 'cause I don't have access to a Gen I to take a gander at.

But

There are minor differences only, the most significant may be the location of the thermostat on the Gen I vs location on the Gen II, so the '06 heat shield may require a bit of trimming to accommodate.

The Gen II also has a plastic fastener and associated tab with which to secure the heat shield, so you'd likely have to rig something to keep the thing from moving about - although there really isn't much room for the thing to move under there anyway. Maybe a strategically placed velcro or similar?

BTW, the heat shield isn't molded aluminum. It's actually more like aluminized bubble wrap, and is quite flexible.

....Will the molded aluminized engine heat guard from a 2006 fit on a 2003?...

No. See, a direct, no BS answer.

There aren't any direct drop-in 'plug 'n play' heat solutions. The Gen II heat shield is an aluminized, flexible shield, with some slots cut in it for the differences in pump wiring and fuel hoses I'm sure it can be coaxed into fitting. You may have to do some imagineering to get shaped right but it's so tight under the tank it would be going no place. You can buy similar material from big box home supplies and from auto speed shops and make your own custom heat shield.

Part of the problem with the Gen I is the fuel pressure regulation system. Fuel from the tank is delivered to the fuel rail at the throttle body, there is a vacuum controlled pressure regulator that manages the fuel pressure to the injectors. As necessary, fuel gets returned to the tank but by then it has soaked up heat from the engine. This heated fuel will heat the tank and the heat really gets worse as the gas level drops. One of the easiest things to keep a Gen I tank cooler is to not let the gas level drop below 1/2 a tank.

In addition to engine heat directly on the tank and hot fuel being circulated through the tank is hot air blowing through from the radiator, heat rising off of the catalytic converter and hot air trapped in the faring. There is no one fix, you are battling a number of small things.

There is the cromit fix (someplace in this Forum) which uses foil stuck to the bottom of the tank, some people have had luck by performing the Barbarian Jumper on the ECU connector which then lets you adjust the CO level a bit higher -- this causes a slight increase in richness with dual POTENTIAL benefits of running cooler and smoothing out the throttle abruptness.

Wearing riding pants makes a huge difference in the heat felt on your legs and other small frying bits that rest upon the gas tank when you slide forward.

Back when my FJR was fairly new I told a friend that I didn't really notice any heat or vibrations from my specific bike so we swapped. It only took a couple of miles before he had me pull over and swap bikes back again because my smooth, cool running FJR had cooked his... sensitive parts and numbed his hands from vibrations. Different people perceive things differently.

The next thing you need to worry about is if you got a '03 which has excessive valve guide wear.

Removing the PAIR system and its plumbing will make all things under the "hood" much easier, including installation of heat shielding. This will require the installation of block off plates such as the awesome units sold by Wynn Pro on this site.

I don't have experience with the gen2 heat shield but have done the Cromeit mods on both sides and installed a heat blanket over top of the engine. IMHO, the most effective thing I did was to make sure to seal any air pathways around the seat, sides and back, and insulate the tank. I also have Holeshot headers that have no cats. I can ride in 100 deg heat comfortably (to me) unless I'm stopped and idling. Remember, there's a 145hp heat generator down there, you're gonna feel it.

The best way to search this site is to use Google. Ex: Gen 1 heat shield site:fjrforum.com.

Oh yeah, if you're intolerant of typical forum shit this might not be the place for you. Getting po'd here is like chumming shark infested waters. This is the best forum around, the level of FJR info is astounding. Just be patient. A fondness for sheep is a plus
love.gif

Thank you everyone who has replied. Appreciate it.

Bluesdog--thanks for the t-stat tip. Did some microfiche parts comparisons, and indeed, the thermostat is different. I thought it interesting that the 2003 parts diagram shows a heat shield, while the 2006 diagram showed no heat shield.

2Fun--thanks for the simple answer. And the detailed one.

fjrpilot--Don't know what the PAIR system is but I'll look into it.

As far as being thin skinned, I fully expected to get the fng hazing at some point, so it's not a problem. I just got irritated at how my simple question devolved so quickly. I purposely did not ask about heat management issues because I know that you guys have been through it all, and I knew if I did ask, I would get flak.

I have spent hours and hours over the last month and a half since buying my bike perusing this forum, fjrtech, googling this and that, and know pretty much all the heat mods you folks have done. I don't expect to get rid of all the heat, just enough to make riding all day more appealing.

When I rode the bike home after buying it, my crotch was on fire, and that was only 35 miles. I didn't even want to ride it and was considering selling it after owning it for not even two weeks. Then I had this bright idea which was to wrap the back of the tank and around the sides with a 2000 deg heat wrap. (Turns out you all had already been there done that). Man, what a difference! Still gets hot but now I can ride for 4 to 5 hours without too much discomfort. I'm sure the drivers behind me wonder why I'm flapping my legs.

The blanket on top of engine mod is next, however my plan is to ride the bike, not work on it. I'm really not motivated to do more than required maintenance. So, after heat mods, bar risers, and some powerlets, that's it. Well, maybe sliders. Oh, and sending my drivers seat to spencers for a mod.

I've done a couple of no big deal mods, like relocating the factory grip heater control and dis-abling the windshield auto retract. woo hoo!

Thanks again for all the great input, although I don't even want to know why having a fondness for sheep is a plus.

And to you grouchy old timers, nyah nyah nyah.....can't get rid of me that easy.

Jay

So, after . . . , and some . . . , that's it. Well, maybe . . . . Oh, and . . . .
Famous last words.
smile.png

Good luck with the bike and welcome to the fold. Btw, I know it's not always practical but keeping that tank half filled really does work at keeping things cool.

So, after . . . , and some . . . , that's it. Well, maybe . . . . Oh, and . . . .
Famous last words.
smile.png

Good luck with the bike and welcome to the fold. Btw, I know it's not always practical but keeping that tank half filled really does work at keeping things cool.
That's funny! Busted. Thanks for the laugh.

Jay

...I fully expected to get the fng hazing at some point, so it's not a problem...
We aren't organized enough to pull off a hazing, generally we suck at anything organized, besides, it's boring and we are too old to care that much. However, when a newbie comes along and does a cannon ball into the pool with a loud attitude, well that is kinda like a red cape to bull here. It triggers some kind of a reaction that usually ends up with someone's feelings getting hurt and others that are never heard from again.

Thread drift bombing seems to be what we do here, put on your reading filter and ignore the chafe that comes with the grain.

Kind of wandering off my original question, but thanks for the info guys.
FJ Commander--Bought one of the kits, just haven't installed it yet.

Scouser--Cut which to fit....the 2006 heat guard or the heat kit? Why did you get rid of it later....testicals get toughened up to the heat?

Jay
Newguy,

Got my heat shield KIT (aluminized flex shield) from a forum member and cannot remember if it was for a specific model year. I had to cut it a little (scissors) to make it fit properly.

Although it's not noticeable after the install I was never happy with the bulk of it under the tank. Plus, I never did think it cooled anything down for me. Just retained more heat under the tank. So -- ditched.

Just private mailed you also.