FJRay's to Spearfish via a circuitous route

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=e96155de95944f8a0&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Flew to Ray's to retrieve the Gray Ghost last Tuesday.

while Ray had the GG he did some 24K maintenance checks for me.

A great visit with Ray and Patti, got to play with all three of Patti's puppies. Ray's cat, not so much.

Missing the Reuben run do to scheduling problems but Ray, Patti and I substituted a breakfast instead, Ray and I enjoyed our Reuben Omelettes, Patti had some French Toast.

Back at Ray's we rolled the GG out into the Oregon sunshine. By noon I was on my way with no particular destination in mind. Kind of headed towards Lassen and ended up in Burney CA for the evening.

Thursday morning I backtracked to Burney Falls which I hadn't seen since the early 60's, it was still there, the campground was near empty and boy is Norcal dry!

Took 89 through the park and then further South, Lunch in Quincy at the Courthouse Cafe, nice bowl of Lentil Soup.

Continued on South then hopped over to 49 via the Gold Lake Road, 45 mph, you've got to be kidding me, rode nice between 60-70.

South on 49 to Bug's and Gayle's in Grass Valley.

Gayle had a Tri-Tip dinner all ready to go, we ate well but Bug's didn't take any pictures of food, I was too busy eating.

Friday I had business to attend to in Yuba City,CA. Friday night I was forced to choose between a no-host pre 45th High School Class reunion cocktail party or a night at the Speedway Motorcycle Races in Auburn CA, the races were great!

Saturday, Bugs and I made a great ride down into the American River Canyon. Got back just in time to go to the Reunion. Saw the three people I wanted to see, left early.

Sunday, after Gayle cooked us a huge repast Doug and I took another little ride North of Grass Valley. We explored a fair bit of old US 40 and then looped back through Washington CA on the way back.

Sunday evening saw us at the Divine Miss "T's" parents for a fabulous dinner prepared by Chef Ed. Apparently this is an annual event and I consider myself lucky to have received the invite. Back in Grass Valley just before midnight, glad Bug's was driving.

Slept in late this morning, left about 1100 and worked my way up to Truckee via I80, then North on 89 to 49 to 70 and then North on 395. Brief stop in Alturas for gas, then on to Burns OR and East to Ontario OR where I am now.

Spot link above shows it all. Not sure where I'm headed in the morning, I guess some of my Mate Festar's aversion to planning has rubbed off on me!

Ahhhh.. to be retired with no need to plan a route.... Just ride!!

Good on you John!
punk.gif

John, you were in Yuba City just a couple of blocks from my house. However, even if I had known, I was on the "Over the Passes" ride with Tyler that weekend. Sounds like you had a good time. I look forward to seeing you again on one of the future group rides, in particular, the one you put on. I just have to get enough time off and find someone willing to watch the dogs, not always an easy thing to do.

John

John, you were in Yuba City just a couple of blocks from my house. However, even if I had known, I was on the "Over the Passes" ride with Tyler that weekend. Sounds like you had a good time. I look forward to seeing you again on one of the future group rides, in particular, the one you put on. I just have to get enough time off and find someone willing to watch the dogs, not always an easy thing to do.
John
Hope to see you in Red Lodge