Blue Ridge Ride ME, to TN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk

Reaction score
Greetings to all,

Came back this holiday weekend from a 12 day trek. Marion and I set out, Marion on her FZ6R, and me on the FJR, we met up with my parents who trailered their Goldwing down to Front Royal, VA from WI (a 50th Anniversary edition, in white, nicknamed "The White Whale" by Marion and myself)

We took Skyline Drive, down to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway North to South. It was a great Trip.

Here is the overview.

August 27th - ride from Portland to Front Royal (Holiday Inn), 10 hours (est. 8 am – 10 pm)
August 28th – ride to Roanoke (Holiday Inn) – 7 hours (est. 8 am to 5 pm)
August 29th – ride to Albert’s Motel in Mt. Mitchell – 5 hours (est. 8 am to 3 pm – settle in Albert’s Motel, or ride the following loop)
August 29th – ride the little Switzerland – Devil’s Whip loop (Est. 1 hour) (4 – 6 pm)
August 30th – ride to Murphy (Holiday Inn) – 6 hours (est. 8 am to 6 pm)
August 31st – ride 28/Dragon/Cherohala – 5 hours (est. 8 am to 3 pm)
September 1st – ride Suches/28 to Bryson City (Microtel) – 5 hours (est. 8 am to 3 pm)
September 2nd – ride to Johnson City (Comfort Inn) – 6.5 hours (est. 8 am to 5 pm)
September 3rd –ride to Roanoke (Holiday Inn) – 5.5 hours (est. 8 am to 4 pm)
September 4th – ride to Front Royal (Holiday Inn) – 7 hours (est. 8 am to 5 pm)
September 5th – ride to Portland (Home) – 10 hours (est. 8 am to 10 pm)

We deviated a bit from the original plan, we squeezed in a few more roads that looked like fun.

The FJR & FZ6R performed wonderfully, a new set of PR4's made for a great ride and for some really nice corners on the FJR.

Just over 3300mi in 12 days, it was a great trip. We hit 13 States total, NH, MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA, MD, WV, VA, KY, TN, NC & GA
IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

Ok, a few more.. the views from the parkway are wonderful.

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2356.JPG

We did have a few foggy mornings.

IMG_2413.JPG

But the roads where amazing..

IMG_2433.JPG

And then there is the food...
cheff.gif
with all the BBQ and "Home Cooking" I think I may have added a few pounds...
uhoh.gif

I really love riding the BRP although I know that not everyone does. When Pop and I took our pictures in front of that sign several years ago we were literally on top of the world. Many things have changed since then but I still love the BRP.

My compliments on your bikes. That '04 was very clean and the little FZ6 was very well set up.

I have to be "That Guy", and I am sorry, I really am. But... That GoldWing that you did not show pics of, is NOT a 50th Anniversary. It can't be. Honda brought us the GoldWing in 1975. Honda won't have a 50th Anniversary GoldWing until 2025.

I really love riding the BRP although I know that not everyone does. When Pop and I took our pictures in front of that sign several years ago we were literally on top of the world. Many things have changed since then but I still love the BRP.
My compliments on your bikes. That '04 was very clean and the little FZ6 was very well set up.

I have to be "That Guy", and I am sorry, I really am. But... That GoldWing that you did not show pics of, is NOT a 50th Anniversary. It can't be. Honda brought us the GoldWing in 1975. Honda won't have a 50th Anniversary GoldWing until 2025.
But never apologize for being right. Major typo, now corrected, it was rather a 25th... Hey I was only .5 off :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I can relate. The BRP is a favorite road of ours, and never get tired of riding it. In fact, that whole area is superb for riding! My wife has only been riding 2yrs, and she has taken 2 trips up to the mountains with me. She is in LOVE with riding and taking trips ( I know, I'm a very lucky man.)

Thanks for sharing,

Rob

P.S. Like I said, we can relate.