Rear Shock (Penske) advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Some time during my ride I damaged my rear shock. My guess would be it was the streets of Mew Orleans or my selection of dirt roads in northern Minnesota that did it. Either way, on my way home from minnesota I noticed a small puddle (5-10 drops) under my bike. I was hoping it was just bad luck parking until I saw my kick stand was covered with oil too .

I traced it to the shock. When I started riding, I would hit a bump and the bike would start bouncing... And continue to bounce.

My questions are:

Blown shock seal?

Will it damage the shock further to ride it back from Iowa to Florida?

I am thinking of stopping in Woodstock, GA and have Traxxion rebuild it again. It was just rebuilt less than 1 year ago.

Any thoughts or advice???

It might be time to consider a shock condom.

TraxxionDynamicsShockSock.jpg

RG.SHOCK10.BK.jpg

A clean shock is a happy, long lived shock.

Shoot, I'd say stop by Traxxion. Seems too easy.

Careful going through turns though, sounds to me like what you are talking about is like riding with just a spring in the rear. I lost a bolt on my TLR's rear stupid rotary shock which made it like there was no shock (kept pivoting on the remaining bolt) at a track day. Going round the corner with no shock doing it's job nearly high sided me. That was at track speed (slow since it's me) so if you take it easy, you should be good, but it's hard to be good on the roads near Traxxion, such as they are.
biggrin.png

I have the sock, but when I am on dirt I am usually pissed and ride reckless. New Orleans is another story... I hate those streets !
You should try some of the "roads" in the Northeast!

As long as there is still SOME oil in it, you should be OK. Little chance of further damage unless it goes dry (don't know the implication in terms of metal-on-metal, if any). Probably just a seal. The fact that its already "bouncy" might mean that most of the fluid is already gone. I would give Traxxion a call. They would have the right answer for you.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="101stpathfinder" data-cid="1257485" data-time="1441738174"><p>

I have the sock, but when I am on dirt I am usually pissed and ride reckless. New Orleans is another story... I hate those streets !</p></blockquote>

I don't have the sock.. you guys love to make me spend my money!

When the oil is all gone you just stand up and use your legs to stop the bouncing. Go a little further and the shock will stop bouncing. I did that and piston had to be replaced. Under warranty because a nut was not torqued right on rebuild.

Dare I ask who rebuilt it a year ago?

Every once in a while I read a thread that makes me feel good that my shit keeps working, even when I abuse it.