Manchester Madness 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
It was a bright and early start for the ride to Manchester... meet spot was in San Rafael at 8am and it was a bit drizzly on the way up but I had confidence that the weather would turn itself around... because I said so! :)

It may have been early but spirits were high and there were lots of smiles everywhere...
IMG_3847-XL.jpg

IMG_3848-XL.jpg

IMG_3849-X2.jpg

Love the his and hers versions of the same concept...
IMG_3847-XL.jpg

New guy Justin from SBR (the tall dude) was brave and showed up for a ride with a bunch of strangers... but that wouldn't last long as this is a friendly bunch...
IMG_3850-XL.jpg

Bikes at the ready... we had a huge group of about 40 people so we broke up into a couple of groups...
IMG_3851-X2.jpg

First treat was Lucas Valley Rd...
IMG_3855-X2.jpg

IMG_3859-X2.jpg

Nicasio Valley Rd...
IMG_3860-X2.jpg

As we traversed Wilson Hill Rd, the sun started to break through the clouds...
IMG_3861-X2.jpg

View on Chileno Valley Rd...
IMG_3864-X2.jpg

A quick break in Occidental and then it was off to one of my very favorite goats roads in the Russian River area...
IMG_3870-X2.jpg

Mr. Bill said, "Oh noooooooo!!" the whole way...
IMG_3875-XL.jpg

King Ridge snakes it's way through the forest areas, dappled sunlight along the road, and since it had sprinkled a bit early in the morning, the smell of the fresh air was heavenly...
IMG_3881-X2.jpg

Then at the summit, you break out into the wide open countryside... have to always be on the lookout for free range cattle but we were lucky this particular day as they all were safely off the side of the road, lazily watching us go by...
IMG_3886-X2.jpg

IMG_3888-X2.jpg

IMG_3895-X2.jpg

Then diving back into the redwoods along Tin Barn Rd. and Stewarts Point...
IMG_3899-XL.jpg

Heading north on Hwy 1, we were greeted with the standard summer fog...
IMG_3902-X2.jpg

Our lunch stop at the Sea Ranch Lodge (photo from Google images cause I forgot to take one!)... I had called ahead and warned them about the onslaught of bikers that would be showing up and the manager called in an extra waiter or two so they were ready for us... great food and service!
SR_lodge_2721.jpg

We took up most of the main dining room...
IMG_3907-X2.jpg

IMG_3906-X2.jpg

IMG_3905-X2.jpg

The gent on the far right, YosemiteRich, got the award for the most dedicated to show up for a ride... he left his home in Yosemite at 3am to meet up in San Rafael on time!
IMG_3904-X2.jpg

Hunger sated we continued on, stopping for gas in Gualala and then taking a little detour off of Hwy 1 onto Old Stage Rd... I missed the turnoff onto Ten Mile Cutoff Rd so we continued onto Iversen Rd...
IMG_3908-XL.jpg

And back out on Hwy 1, the fog had cleared and it was a bee-YOU-tee-ful day!
IMG_3910-X2.jpg

A few of us decided to head out for a looksee of the Point Arena Lighthouse... they were getting ready to close up for the day so we didn't pay for the tour but the view was pretty spectacular...
IMG_3916-X2.jpg

Scott was hanging around...
IMG_3912-X2.jpg

The Lone Helmut...
IMG_3920-X2.jpg

Heading back toward Manchester...
IMG_3924-X2.jpg

Upon arriving at the KOA, a group decided on a refreshing dip and Scott did his grumpy old man impression...
IMG_3930-X2.jpg

Followed by a soak in the hot tub...
IMG_3939-XL.jpg

While this group decided to just watch...
IMG_3931-XL.jpg

Dear friend and riding mentor, Patrick, forgot to mention to us that he had moved back to California from Austin, TX... TWO MONTHS ago!!
IMG_3941-XL.jpg

We all gathered for dinner supplied by the good folks of the KOA... they always do a really great job of providing us dinner and breakfast the next morning... makes things much more relaxing for all of us...
IMG_3942-XL.jpg

IMG_3943-X2.jpg

IMG_3944-XL.jpg

IMG_3945-X2.jpg

Oh yeah, and ice cream for dessert... Paul thinks that is A-OK... Clark decided to drink his dessert...
IMG_3946-XL.jpg

The sun set, the bonfire was started... the evening wasn't nearly as cool as it was the last time we were there in April... very comfortable temperature...
IMG_3950-X2.jpg

A little imbibing...
IMG_3954-XL.jpg

Tim kept watch over the libations...
IMG_3956-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The next morning, the troops rallied together for some brekkie before heading out for the day...

A view of some of the cabins...

And then it was time to goooooo!!

Hwy 1... I love this grove of eucalyptus trees...

We decided to take Mtn. View Rd into Boonville... it starts out with some straight, well-paved roadway...
IMG_3974-X2.jpg

And then varies between tight 'n twisty and one-lane 'n goaty...
IMG_3980-X2.jpg

IMG_3984-X2.jpg

IMG_3988-X2.jpg

Gas stop and bio break in Boonville, the paparazzi cornered the ladies of DC...
IMG_3989-X2.jpg

And this was the view from our vantage point...
IMG_3992-X2.jpg

The ladies, of course, returned the favor... hmmmm, calendar material perhaps?
IMG_3994-X2.jpg

Heading east on 253...
IMG_3999-X2.jpg

Husband and wife team, Susan and Michael...
IMG_4001-X2.jpg

Into Calistoga for lunch...
IMG_4005-XL.jpg

I love that Marie's son, Josquin, deemed his mom was cool enough to hang out with for the weekend... he's pretty cool too... ;)
IMG_4006-XL.jpg

Off along Silverado Trail, there was very little traffic...
IMG_4011-X2.jpg

And 128 was pretty much all ours for the taking... not a lot of pics cause there was no traffic so just rode it like I stole it!!
IMG_4013-X2.jpg

Final gas stop in Rockville... Jeremy says, "Whaddya mean it's over already??"
IMG_4017-XL.jpg

A great weekend... good food was consumed, tasty roads were eaten up, new friends were made, and a lot of (s)miles have been added to the memory banks... thanks to everyone who made it wunderbar! B)

FIN

You know, everybody's always smiling in Tyler's photos. Gotta be a reason for that.

Scenery looks mighty fine!

Older son now lives in Fremont, working for Tesla on their GigaFactory. I'll be out in February, but flying ... with skis and a big smile to coerce my sweetie-pie daughter-in-law into skiing for the first time. "Trust me honey, you can get down that; no problem! Of course I'd never laugh at you."

Not going to EOM,
no2.gif
, as I have foolishly decided to be intimidated by hoons in Hooterville.

Highways run both ways, girl. Headed into the Southland for the 2016 BMR?

The more of your ride reports and pictures I look at, the more I need to start playing the lottery. I want to come west and do some of your group rides!

Can't wait to meet you at EOM.

Awesome as usual, love those lil isolated roads you put in there!

Put me on your wanna-be WC ride list!

We'll see you again in a few weeks too! :)

The more of your ride reports and pictures I look at, the more I need to start playing the lottery. I want to come west and do some of your group rides!
Can't wait to meet you at EOM.
Would be happy to have you along, BC! I don't think you need the lottery though... just make a plan, post up your intentions, and I'll bet you'll have lots of offers of places to stay along the way from your friendly FJRforum friends... life is short so get out there and make it happen... tomorrow is not promised to any of us. B)

Awesome as usual, love those lil isolated roads you put in there!
Put me on your wanna-be WC ride list!

We'll see you again in a few weeks too!
smile.png
You too, KJ... get your butt out here! ;) Only about a week now until EOM... I am SO looking forward to this one!!
punk.gif