Are you @%*&#$* serious?!?!?!?!? (Dropped screw into nose....)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
So I notice in the sight glass for the front brake reservoir that the fluid is a tad low, so I unscrew the lid, pull the screws out to set them over on the table, and I dropped one into the nose.

I heard it rattle very briefly and stop. Somewhere.

It didn't come out, it's not on the floor.

I can't tighten the reservoir lid with one screw, and I don't have another like it.

I've got to drive instead of ride to work tomorrow, and take the damn bike apart Saturday.

Or I could take the screw I have somewhere and match it up, but it seems like these reservoir screws are something oddball. I have that in my head from somewhere, don't know why.

Maybe I'll just go find some bikes parked somewhere and collect a few spares......
no.gif

I think I have a pound of nuts, screws, washers, etc. hidden in crevasses throughout my bikes. Sorry for your loss.

^ That's the stuff! Do a few wraps around the reservoir and you're good to go. When you pull the tupperware, first lay a light colored sheet under the bike, 'cause that little teeny screw will drop, and immediately attempt to roll 50 yards across the floor to hide under something.

dropped a nut that holds a coil on while working on an old GS Sazook....had the plugs out at the time..guess wherethenut went.....[and it must have grown while it was in there]

Suggest removing the screws that hold the lower fairings together in the middle, and the two on the right side, pry fairings apart and you may find it there.......

It's a pretty common screw, any bike shop will (should) have a spare.

I once spent an hour looking for a nut that I had dropped while installing some Jesse Bags on Spousal Unit's bike. She came out to the shop and asked what I was doing and after I told her in an exasperated and curt way, she pointed at the bike and said, "This nut?" I had already installed the nut.

Just ride around a while, it'll show up. Last screw I dropped was one of the little ones for the fuel tank trim piece, between the seat and the tank. Said to my self, "screw it." 3 days later it showed up, directly under the bike. Amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the world of moto maintenance. When I sold my '83 GL1200, I know of at least one socket that was still buried in the fairing somewhere.

Give it a good shaking. Alternatively ask one of your friends if they have any reservoir ram mounts, they will have plenty of spares screws those came with. It will do as a temporary fix.

You could push the bike over and see if it falls out...also change the brake fluid at the same time. Just make sure to push it over on its right side, you don't want that fluid splashing all over your paint. Does that help? :)

On the bright side.... at least you didn't have the valve cover off and lose it down in the engine.

Also... '03 plastic is easier to remove than '13 plastic. DAMHIK

There should be a motorcycle wrecker near you if rolling the bike over is just too unpleasant.

You don't have a telescoping magnet? What kind of old guy are you???

Those tools are for screws that WANT to be found
unsure.png
EXACTLY. I did poke around with the variable-length magnetostick to no avail. Said stick has been quite useful previously, when pychopathic fasteners, once released from their years-long vigil, fled into the rags covering the open crankcase while doing clutch work, and no matter the care is recovering the fastener or removing the rag, they did indeed retire into the depths.

Status
Not open for further replies.