Anyone using the GenII/GenIII seat from Seat concepts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, maybe you could test it out and let us all know??

I've read good things about their products.

Never saw that one before. Looks interesting and their price is fair.Go for it! and post review of course...

I wish they had redone the seat foam on the passenger as well (Wife complains of seat discomfort). I might go for it, but I will call them first and see if it lowers seat height or narrows seat width(what I need).

I decided to go for it. It's only money eh!
fool.gif

I purchased the rear seat cover as well. Got both as grippers with carbon accents. Chose the seat foam density to match my 180lb weight. They said the rear portion of the drivers seat foam is dished out and widened, but the front is similar to OEM width and height. Also flattened to eliminate pushing to the tank. This could be a good economical solution if it works well. Even though the website says they are shipping in 5-10 business days due to high volume, they said they would try to push the order sooner for me. As always, Seatconcepts has had excellent customer service.

I will post on this thread when it comes in.

Do you replace ALL the OEM foam to install their kit?
No. They only have the riders foam kit, but not the passenger foam kit. They have covers for both though, so it's aesthetically pleasing. I have made a request they do a passenger foam kit in the future, So I hope they will do that.

No. They only have the riders foam kit, but not the passenger foam kit. They have covers for both though, so it's aesthetically pleasing. I have made a request they do a passenger foam kit in the future, So I hope they will do that.
OK, do you replace ALL the OEM foam on the rider's seat pan to install their kit?

OK, do you replace ALL the OEM foam on the rider's seat pan to install their kit?
Yes, the OEM foam for the rider portion is one piece. You simply remove the staples, take off the vinyl cover and remove the stock foam. Put on the new foam, the plastic rain guard(kinda like saran wrap) and then put the Seat concepts cover on by a pneumatic staple gun. I will show the steps when I get the kit as I've done this several times before on other bikes.

Yes, the OEM foam for the rider portion is one piece. You simply remove the staples, take off the vinyl cover and remove the stock foam. Put on the new foam, the plastic rain guard(kinda like saran wrap) and then put the Seat concepts cover on by a pneumatic staple gun. I will show the steps when I get the kit as I've done this several times before on other bikes.
Interesting concept, do they provide glue to keep the foam from sliding on the pan?

I've done both glue and no glue. They will not provide glue. Easy to pick up the 3M spray glue. Seems to make no difference in keeping the foam/seat in place. Proper installation of the vinyl cover is what matters most. On the FJ-09 I had, even the OEM foam was not glued down. The KLR650 stock foam was glued down, but very easy to remove. On a NC700X, the OEM foam was not glued as well. When I take off the OEM foam for the FJR1300ES, I will see if it is glued down. My guess is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Seat Concepts on my CRF250L trail bike. I've done 8hr days on it. Yes my ass hurt. It's a damn trial bike! But not unbearably so. They're good enough.

FWIW, Seat Concepts replacements seem to be popular on the Tenere forum. Most of the feedback has been positive...

--G

Thanks for posting this. I checked SC website for a seat for my gen 1 last summer and came up blank. Bought a used RDL which fits great for longer rides but not so well for around town. I ordered a gen 1 SC last night, I'll have to give it a review after riding for a bit.

Looks good, kinda' Sargent like shape, price is right! and they seem to get good reviews for their other seat kits so could be a winner! Awaiting your review with the others!

I have a revamped Sargent which is pretty good but find the foam still a bit firm for my 165 lb., non padded, bony 'sitzbones'.

Finally got my tracking number for the seat! Supposed to snow this Saturday...sheesh!

I too have a SeatConcepts on my KLR and love it, too bad they didn't have this when
I bought my Russell Day Long, might have saved me some serious dollars.

Still, I love my Russell...