Sh---15 code

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow2

Reaction score
I've been a member for a while but haven't posted much. However, I've been fighting a SH--15 code ghost for the last three months and have finally found the cure and thought it might help someone else. My 08 AE would throw the code and hang between gears when downshifting. I always managed to clear it and get where I was going but had gradually gotten worse and finally stayed "stuck" between gears. After the dealer convinced me to replace the TPS at a cost of $128, I got stuck as soon as I left the house. Obviously, something else was going on. Also, the code sh 15 wasn't being stored in the memory. I decided to remove the powercommander PC3 and return everything electrical back to stock. Hooked the O2 sensor back up also. Running aftermarket cans but everything else is stock. Cleared the code and bingo. Have ridden and shifted until I'm tired of it and no more problems. This is the short version of everything I tried. I believe the PC3 was breaking down as soon as it got warm. Hope this helps someone else.

Ed

Well done for trying to sort your problem yourself, best way to learn about your machine.

Now the interesting bit. the SH__15 code is nothing to do with the TPS, that's a diagnostic "Er 15", nothing to do with your code. So, your dealer was wrong to even consider the TPS.

The workshop manual says for SH__15:

Abnormal current is detected in clutch or shift actuator motor drive circuit.

and

Detected current in clutch actuator motor or shift actuator motor is different from MCU (motor control unit) signals.
The most likely cause of this is a bad connection in one of the loom connectors or [gulp] an earth spider [/gulp], which you've probably disturbed with your PC3 removal, probably a temporary fix until corrosion sets in again.

Last edited by a moderator: