1960 Matchless 350. - Worth considering purchase?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YummYam

Reaction score
Thought I would put this out there as I know loads of you guys are fans and have experience of owning/maintaining old Brit bikes.

I would appreciate any thoughts/opinions etc on the desirability/popularity (or otherwise), of said bike.

It belongs to a family friend in the UK and I viewed it yesterday while visiting him.

It's a 1960 Matchless 350 and this guy is total bike enthusiast but too old now at 84 for riding.

He bought it in the seventies for commuting and it shows 25k recorded miles.

I`m no expert but he said, and it looks,99% original. No rust on the wheel rims,no tears in the seat,no scratches or dents anywhere.

It started second kick and idled evenly. He has always maintained it scrupulously and it has many replaced parts,shocks,forks rebuilt,new brakes battery and chain, plus a boxful of spares and tools.

Looks lovely, I'm tempted but need persuading/dissuading !!

He's asking equivalent around $3200,plus there would be shipping,around $2k I think it would be.

So guys, any thoughts? I could prob post pics given time,or email.

TIA for any feedback.

I have some friends here in PA who host vintage bike shows and that's not something I've seen in my area! I don't know what a fair market value is for one of those. I'd suggest looking at Hemmings Motor News in the motorcycle section or Google Matchless Motorcycles and try to get some idea of pricing where you live.I enjoy vintage bikes but you have to realize even in really good condition it's not a comteporary motorcycle. Suspension and brakes are going to be very weak compared to modern stuff. If you buy it strictly for putting around town and shows they can be a lot of fun and get a lot of attention.

Good luck and keep us posted! With pictures!

If there is a way to get in touch with Peter Egan at Cycle World, he could probably help you out. He loves British singles, and writes often about his Velocette and this strange addiction.

They were considered high-end at the time, but still old school. Lucas (6V) electricals, possible probable oil leaks seepages. But a very good (1960) workhorse.

Just don't expect modern-day reliability, performance and brakes.

Incidentally, the price he is asking is very good if its condition is ok, a typical UK price is nearer £2500 or $3835.

Thanks all, for your wise words and links to more information which I've been taking a good look at.

Looking hard at the pics of the bike, mulling over the discussion with the owner and trawling the web, it seems that there are other examples competitevley priced in the UK that look and sound,in the ads at least,as good or better as the one I'm considering.

I will take a closer look at shipping costs too. At least I know the history of it and may even be able to trim the price!

I guess a fly and buy is out?

Nothin' wrong with that. Just the return journey would be somewhat tortuous!!

I've been wavering back and forth with making a decision............................. aarrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate that it's an old bike and not comparable to modern day stuff, but I kinda liked it and owning a little bit of bike history from Olde England feels like it would be cool.

I could squeeze it in the garage and use it to putter around and commute (20mile round trip) so............................now waiting on final shipping quotes before squeezing the trigger. Hope it hasn't sold!

Wondered about the quality of gas available here. Guess one of the additives would help there?

Will try and post some pics asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
That should be fun to ride...shifter on the right. Don't get confused! Shift pattern may also be different from what we're all accustomed to. Some old Norton models were 1 up and 3 down. Brake being on the left might confuse you as well. Post more pics if you can.

Congrats!

Thanks for the picture help mcatrophy, I couldn't get that to work for me.

BkerChuck, I'm excited, and yep it's gonna be fun! shift pattern is one up three down as you say.

My AE paddle shift could be even more excellent in helping me avoid unwanted gear changes and/or braking..............I think!

I'll try to get more pics posted.

A single 350 is ok, but the price of shipping puts the total kind of high. You can get any number of more powerful brit bikes for that amount. Parts availability is tougher than a triumph but the spares club has good availability. Personally, i'd be looking at other options. I paid less for a mint Matchless 500cs café.

Thanks for the picture help mcatrophy, I couldn't get that to work for me....
You're welcome. Photobucket don't make it easy.

There may be easier ways to do it, but this is how I did it:

On your photo bucket page showing your picture, on the right there are four lines under the tag "SHARE THIS PHOTO".

photobucketshare.jpg

The fourth one is labeled "IMG".

Click in the box that starts "[url = https:// ...", select the whole of that line (ctrl-a, cmd-a or triple-click depending on your computer), then copy it (ctrl-c or cmd-c depending ...) .

In the top left of your edit window there is an icon that looks like a light switch.

editwindow_1_ar.jpg

Click that so that the edit window becomes raw, similar to this:

editwindow_2.jpg

Put your curser within the text where you want your picture to appear, paste it in from your clipboard (ctrl-v, cmd-v ...).

Now click that switch to revert back to the normal window mode, your picture should appear in your edit window.

^

Thanks for that, I'll try it out at the weekend.

^^

I appreciate what you're saying but I wasn't looking for a fast mint bike, my AE fulfills that need in me.

Heck, I wasn't even looking for another bike at all, let alone an old a Brit bike. It's just that when I saw and heard the M, it took me back in time, so I just developed the feeling that I'd like to be able to do that at will.

There's a whole bunch of spare parts coming with it and many, many contact names and links to a supply of helpful advice and parts.

Just like this forum.

A single 350 is ok, but the price of shipping puts the total kind of high. You can get any number of more powerful brit bikes for that amount. Parts availability is tougher than a triumph but the spares club has good availability. Personally, i'd be looking at other options. I paid less for a mint Matchless 500cs café.
That's true Mr. Hudson but we both know that you stole that Matchless.
rolleyes.gif