Florida Keys SS1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I made my way down to Key Largo on Sunday afternoon to meet a friend and attempt an insane ride that was on my bucket list called the "Florida Keys SS1000." This ride was

created by Rob and Greg (Travelman). I pulled into the motel where I was to meet Joe (jgreen) and parked behind a Texas plated BMW that looked familiar. Sure enough at the

desk inside stood the rider, Tim. We spoke for awhile and rode around back to the rooms. There was another familiar face… Greg - the sick individual who thought this crazy ride

up. We went out for some eats and talked awhile.

At the table (10 IBRs represented)"

P9200255_zpsdbep8jom.jpg

Good rain shower to wash the roads off prior to the start:

P9200257_zps88rhdqt1.jpg

The initial report out of Miami's hurricane center stated that there was a large circling motion of more than 100 miles in diameter that was concerning forecasters.

Turned out to be 3 LD riders attempting the Florida Keys SS1000.

Some pics:

P9200261_zpsaregyrfz.jpg

P9200262_zpsp96vwr5h.jpg

Where the sky meets the water:

P9210267_zpsbrsa0xaq.jpg

Joe in the sunset

P9210270_zpsqelevzck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more pics:

Rain showers were refreshing!

Joe at my last Key West turn around

The numbers

Started the ride at 0445 and Joe joined me for laps 2-5.

Nothing to brag about, but a tough SS1000 was completed!

Home by 6 am and made it to work by noon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job! Many years ago, I did an SS1000 within the borders of AZ for my own satisfaction (also nothing to brag about) but never sent in the official paperwork. Did you guys file it with IBR?

Nice photos of the miles and miles and miles of bridges on US 1 through the Keys. They provide amazing views, don't they?

Thanks for the pics!

How many laps are necessary? You mention laps 2-5, is that one way or round trip and what's the northern turnaround point?

5 laps round trip from Key Largo to Key West and back to Key Largo X5. The SHELL station at the north end of Key Largo. Fuel stops were changed due to the stations shutting down the credit cards.

When that happens you must go inside to pay.

I noticed when the traffic lightens up the LEOs get heavy. Traffic, school zones, key deer zoned and speed limits make this a ride of patience and endurance.

Nice ride there Tony, I did a SS1000 several years ago from N. Ga. to Key West and back up to Melbourne and the Keys part of the ride was tough with all the cops & speed zones plus being tired by that point in the ride,doing your ride up and back 5 times was definitely a ride of patience,again congrats.

Nice ride Tony! Honestly I don't think I was gifted with that kind of patience to do that kind of ride. Although I would wecome to see the Keys a bit more than I did the last (and only) time I was there.

Great pics.

Nice photos of the miles and miles and miles of bridges on US 1 through the Keys. They provide amazing views, don't they?
Thanks for the pics!
I think I read in Greg's initial report. that during this ride a total of 400 bridges are crossed.

Nice ride Tony! Honestly I don't think I was gifted with that kind of patience to do that kind of ride. Although I would wecome to see the Keys a bit more than I did the last (and only) time I was there.Great pics.
Well I was in your home state a little more than one week ago, so now its your turn for a southern trip. You know my house is always open to you…

and your family.

According to Google Maps, a one-way trip is 2 hr, 20 minutes. 5 round trips is 23 hr, 20 minutes which means it may be done at legal speeds with just 40 minutes to cover ALL stops for fuel, food and washroom breaks. A tough ride and I would suggest that it is impossible without exceeding posted speed limits for at least part of the time. This, of course, assumes that the Google Maps assessment of driving time accurately reflects distance and speed limits along the way. Ignores traffic slowdowns , traffic lights etc. A modest 5 mph over the limit is unlikely to garner the interest of LEOs so that does yield a little more breathing room.

My hat is off to anyone who can do this SS1000. (I am pretty sure I couldn't!)

Congrats!

The IBA will not recognize any ride that requires speeding to accomplish success. Google maps does not give a very accurate estimation (IMO) a GPS will assess it much better. The ride was actually more enjoyable than I had anticipated. It helps riding with a friend who was a former resident of the Keys.

Latest posts