New Knees?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Who has had knee replacements?

Talk to me. I'm on the fast-path for the left in December and hopefully the right in April.

..can you place pretty good weight on it?

..how about flexibility, and rotation?

..are you able to kick start a 500cc 4-stroke single?

..would you do it over again? or just stick with pain meds, steroids, and cortisone?

....or did another treatment work well e.g. new cell growth?

..how long was rehab?

..how soon were you walking again?

​..bottom line - would you do it over again?

I am in 24x7 constant pain. Wake up 4-7 times a night just aching. And I thought I could handle pain. I mean, I've broken a femur, 7 ribs, achilles, burned the quads to the femur and survived a kidney hematoma. But this pain.. it's different. Stairs, downhill, are a challenge. Getting a leg up on the FJR even.

Sooo, as far as I can see, I want fake knees and have initiated the process but I need info from those who have travelled this path.

TIA - Don

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a total left knee replacement done a little over two years ago. TLDR: It's still 'healing' up, I was miserable for about a month, I'd do it again.

Both my knees were pretty bad. I don't think as bad as yours, but pretty bad. Twenty years of running away from the USAF fat boy program pretty much destroyed both medial meniscus's. My left knee only had about 50% of normal range of motion, I limped a lot, especially if I'd been siting for any length of time. My right knee was only a little better, the doctor said I'd need to replace both of them sooner or latter.

My knee was replaced using the 'MyKnee' technique, which involves 3-D printing a model of my knee, some custom machined parts, and also a custom jig for the surgeon to use to do his cutting and drilling. It reminded a lot of the jig that Motorcycle Larry lends you to drill out the security bolts on the FJR ignition key when you install his riser block.

The first month after the surgery was horrible. I was miserable. I think I was in the hospital for a total of 2 1/2 days. It was a month before I could sleep in a bed, I had to sleep in my Lazy-z-boy. I could walk with assistance the next day. The doctor insisted I use a walker for the first four days, and I needed it.

I went back to work after 3 weeks, using a cane. Fortunately I'm a computer programmer so I don't need to move at all to work. It would be really hard if you had a job that required being on your feet all day.

I did physical therapy for about 3 months, that was often painful but you HAVE to do it or you won't get your money's worth out of your new knee.

I needed the cane for I think about a month. It was painful to go up and down stairs (I work on the third floor and try to use the stairs as much as possible) for about 3 months.

I rode my FJR at about the 3 month point. It's an AE model, so it wasn't to uncomfortable. It was down right painful to ride my Ninja 250 for about six months, because that requires tucking your knees up much more than the FJR.

At about eight months I noticed that my right knee was working fine, I was walking without a limp, and actually stood taller than I did before. The surgeon said my legs were not the same length, so he tweaked the left by about a quarter inch to make them match.

It hurt a little bit to go up and down stairs, but not much. I noticed not only did I not limp any more, my right knee (the OEM part) was working fine! I don't think I'll ever need to replace the right one now, now that each knee is doing 50% of the work.

In the last few months I realized I no longer have any pain from either knee anymore when going up and down stairs or riding motorcycles. I don't try and jog, but I can walk ten miles with no problem.

The one thing I can't do is kneel on my aftermarket knee. That still hurts.

Recovery was horrible for a month, and pretty uncomfortable for the next couple of months. Since then I've steadily improved, and now I'm better, stronger, faster than I was before.

Don, I work with a lot of peeps at my Orange Apron Home supply place - there's a lot of folks that have had knee replacements. One guy was an F4 Phantom crew chief in Vietnam, excellent shape, and running all over the place on 205 thousand square feet of polished concrete.

One day he came into work with a cane - complained about being in pain all the time. And he aged about 20 years in 6 weeks.

Knee replaced, still healing up, walking with a very slight limp which is reducing each week with PT. Says he should have got it done much earlier when the pain first started.

When Krazy8 wore out her first engine, you got her a new one. Shit wears out. You replace it, and move on.

Maybe it's time to get your new knees. You need some sleep.

Pillion had a ruined knee replaced last December so she could heal enough to ride this spring. I'll ask her to write to you about the need/deed/results. If you do go this route there are some important questions you need to have answered about selecting a Dr & hospital so the outcome can be as good as possible without secondary issues. Turns out Pillion had MERSA without expressed symptoms and needed treatment before the surgery and needed to be isolated at the hospital. There was extensive home care after leaving the hospital. Results are good, as time goes on she keeps remarking that I can now do this and never realized it was a problem before. We are on the road to EOM so she will probably write later.

Don,

I wrecked both my knees playing football in high school. Multiple ACL/MCL repairs, meniscus removals, etc. Surgery back then (1969) wasn't quite as simple, i.e., arthroscopic, as it is these days, so recovery time 46 years ago was extensive.

Fast-forward 30+ years and my knees were shot, causing constant pain, similar to what you describe. Contacted medical experts to inquire about knee replacements...this in the late 90's...

I was told knee replace was certainly in order, but I was warned that knee replacements were typically (at the time) good for about 15 years before they wore out and I'd eventually have to go through it again. Therefore, I passed (again, at the time) on the surgery and decided to wait 'til I was older and just couldn't take it any more.

Now, 16 years later, living with MUCH daily pain, I'm still holding off. Don't want to do it now, then have to do it again in my mid to late 70's. I fully expect to live that long, but don't want to go through the misery (described quite well in previous posts) when I am truly an "Old Man".

Maybe orthopedic technology has advance more in the last 15-20 years and knee replacements are much more long-lived. But unless your "quality of life" is SO diminished by your current pain/lack of motion/inconvenience, based on discussions 15 years old, I'd put it off 'til the "bitter end".

Now, if knee replacements (the hardware) lasts longer, then go for it. And get one of these for your recovery period...

hover_zpsvs9k7kjp.jpg

My left knee was replaced in June 2013. It was originally injured in a wreck in 1970, operated on in 1971 and the ACL removed. Somehow managed to blow the meniscus out of the joint in the spring of 2013 and didn't have any choice from that point on. I was in the hospital for four days, used a walker from the first day. Started using a cane as soon as I got home and was back to work (mechanic) in two months. Needed pain meds at night to get to sleep, but didn't need them during the day, also used a heating pad for pain relief. When I started riding again, upshifting was painful; adjusting the shift levers on my bikes to an optimum position helped with that. Two plus years later, the only lasting problem is I can't kneel on that knee and likely never will. Getting with good physical therapy ASAP is a must.

No direct experience, I know a couple of people who've had knees done. Painful process, but a good outcome, both very pleased to have had it done.

Significant Other has had two new hips, separated by about 7 years. Again, painful process, but from about a week after each op, the pain was less than before (although not the same pain). A few weeks later, absolutely no regrets.

I'll disagree with RH above (sorry, RH). Get it done before you lose any real fitness. If your muscles start to atrophy significantly, then subsequent healing and return to normal life will take much longer. Get it done while you can still walk.

Don, if you didn't spend so much time on your knees getting great deals on new bikes, you wouldn't have to worry about it. I am not judging! Hell, I know Stanley appreciates it... Are you going to have something done about that nasty rug burn on your back next?
help.gif

In all seriousness. I have known quite a few friends that have had their knees done and every one of them regret not doing it sooner. A very good friend of mine just had both done and is exited to be getting back on a motorcycle. I wish that I could get surgery on my back so that I am not in pain 24/7, but the Dr.s won't do it.

Good luck man!

Carl

I have close to a dozen friends and family that have had hips/knees replaced. To a person they all regret putting it off as long as they did. They have much less pain and are more active after the procedure.

And..... I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

No replacement here, but a fusion! For years I suffered with an ankle that would swell up like a large melon! I resisted the fusion thinking it would leave me with a permanent limp, I was wrong. The fusion was not the complete ankle so there is some range of motion so no limp! The break from nearly constant pain has been great!

I've been told this is in my future so these discussions grab my attention. FIL had it done about thirty years ago and at the time it was recommended to do both at once, citing symmetry during the healing (muscles, back, etc.) and possibly so much discomfort from one that the patient may put off doing the other. Is this still heard or now frowned upon?

While I have not had one replaced, I work in X-ray and they seem to have the knee replacement down. I would say that less than 1% of the people I have talked to had a bad outcome. Judging by their body habitus and lifestyle, I would put most of the poor outcome on the patient. Howie is correct in that they do wear out, and will need to be replaced in 15 or so years, and the second time around they are not quite as good (so I hear). In todays rapid advancement, 15 years is a very long time, and they might have the second go around improved by the time you get there. If you are in that much pain, then I would go for it. I would ask your Ortho doc what you can do prior to surgery to help after surgery. My dad's guy had him do stretching exercises (pops was pretty sedentary prior to surgery) to "loosen" up the muscles. I am pretty sure that your active daily, so that might not be an issue (could also be a Dr preference).

Best of luck, and if you need someone to ride your bikes while your out of commission, let me know.

Greg

Guess I'll chime in too, though I don't have direct knee-related experience either. Sorry to hear about the constant pain, and that I can relate to. Had really nasty back and leg pain for the last 3 to 4 years, tried multiple escalating approaches with a long list of meds, therapy, etc. Finally I had it and told the doc to take a much more aggressive approach. So I had surgery this spring, after an MRI showed very dramatically the narrowing (by arthritic bone growth) of the channel of one of my vertebrae. The surgery was to go in and kind of Dremel out the offending bone. Recovery was uncomfortable but brief--less than a month. And the relief is total! What a joy to be free from that constant pain. Wish you luck with yours. Surgery, IMO (at least bone surgery), is the one field of medicine where they can see what has to be done and can go in and "fix" the problem with very predictable results.

Don,

My friends wife got a knee 2 weeks ago and she's walking already without the cane. Technology improvements from year to year are phenomenal! She had a hip 2 years after her husband had his done and her recovery time was half of his. She did say the knee was more uncomfortable that the hip though. The point you are at makes it a necessity unfortunately.

I've never had a knee replaced Don but I wouldn't screw around. Get them replaced and start enjoying life again. As far as kick starting 500 cc bikes, well there comes a day when we have to start acting our age
smile.png
and I hope that day never comes for any of us.

Don I have yet to do either knee but just had a total hip replacement in April this yr. Lots of research on Dr's and ortho hospitals,( look for lots of experience with positive results ask every question!) The first month was mostly surgical healing (not bad) then out patient PT (also key to find very experienced PT) from that point on strength training/PT and back to work must be careful about positions and body mechanics to minimize dislocation risk. Now almost 6 months post op. feels better than new because the secondary relief of chronic back pain is gone ! (due to compensation that you were so unaware of) I understand that the knee is more involved and more extensive rehab but positive outcomes are the norm. Would I do it again? YES in a second! Good luck on your surgery and keep us posted. P.S. One of our local NERDS has had both done and is currently having a blast at EOM

Don, save your money. I can work you in between your projects. Never done a knee but it can't be any worse than that damn KZ motor. I have stayed in a Holiday Inn before. What could go wrong??
I'm with Ray. Let him do it on the cheap, and save your money for the important stuff like penile implants.

Don, save your money. I can work you in between your projects. Never done a knee but it can't be any worse than that damn KZ motor. I have stayed in a Holiday Inn before. What could go wrong??
I'm with Ray. Let him do it on the cheap, and save your money for the important stuff like penile implants.

I don't do those.